Return to “Games”

Dual Universe

Story: Earth has been destroyed by a massive cosmic event. Prior to the planet meeting its doom, the United Nations started the "Rebirth program" to send millions of citizens into the far reaches of the cosmos aboard colonial ships - called “Arkships” - to ensure Humanity's survival. You are one of these survivors, waking up from your long cryosleep to rebuild civilization in the new galaxy you find yourself.

About the game: Dual Universe is a sandbox first-person MMORPG set within a seamless Sci-Fi universe made of millions of planets. The world is entirely editable, and the game focuses on massive scale emergent gameplay based around exploration, voxel building, trade, politics and warfare.

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZvsazWNOq4
Release date: second half 2016, second half 2017, full release 2018.

Personal thoughts: I think this is something that could be very good. Especially if they can have advanced AI and bots (You can even script your own AI to assist you) in the universe. The potential of this game is extremely huge. It looks almost something similar to what Infinity: Quest for Earth would have looked like, with editable features.

I myself is pretty hyped for this!
Last edited by Jack20 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Dual Universe

Jack20 wrote:Story: Earth has been destroyed by a massive cosmic event. Prior to the planet meeting its doom, the United Nations started the "Rebirth program" to send millions of citizens into the far reaches of the cosmos aboard colonial ships - called “Arkships” - to ensure Humanity's survival. You are one of these survivors, waking up from your long cryosleep to rebuild civilization in the new galaxy you find yourself.

About the game: Dual Universe is a sandbox first-person MMO
... my interest got insta-gibbed at the acronim. Sorry.

Hey guys jumping on this older post to let you know the Kickstarter is live,they currently have some great early bird offers but get in quick,as the KS is going very well indeed :D

I grabbed one for 10 quid (12 Euro) and get the full game and 2 Dacs(2 months play) on release not bad at all :thumbup:

Suffice to say the game concept looks awesome,not getting carried away though but there are some clever chaps behind this game engine tech so quite happy to take a gamble for basically peanuts,also a very good campaign video explains in great detail as to how they envision the game as it progresses in development and long time goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... fi-mmorpg?

Well that is a bit of a novelty Novaquark in their latest update have set a date were any backer situated in Paris or there abouts is invited to test the Alpha at their studio office. :ugeek:

Not sure if that has been done before by anybody else right in the middle of a KS before,starting to like these guys a lot :P

I'll pass.

I've yet to see any crowdfunded MMO that didn't end in flames or early access limbo.

And after seeing the NMS shitstorm debacle, along with the press coverage ("Sean Murray farted - NMS delayed due to colon cancer!?!" before release, "Sean Murray farted! THE BASTARD IS GASSING US!!!!" afterwards...), one can only hope that the devs are either good at keeping their mouths closed, or have some biohazard suits handy for the fallout. This looks like "the next big thing", and it will likely suffer from a similar amount of prerelease hype.

MMOs are bloody expensive to create and maintain. I doubt crowdfunding can cover that. They also require a certain minimum population to maintain momentum, and MMO players are amongst the ficklest POS audience around. It's either subscription or micropayments, as small, private servers a'la Minecraft aren't compatible with their concept, and both are their own can of worms.

I'd like to see them succeed, but I doubt the game will get off the ground.

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Online Now