Return to “Games”

Re: Pyre

Gamasutra posted an article today about Pyre, which discusses how the developers made failing OK.

I was ready to dismiss that as a cynical excuse for not implementing a save/reload facility... until I read the part where they talked about a save/reload facility.

So what do those who've played this think about its approach to failure?

I don't have it, but from the reviews I've read, it's a very different game to their previous titles - definitely closer to Bastion than Transistor. Transistor was mostly gameplay, Bastion had more story in relation to the gameplay. Pyre seems to have even more story, and very little gameplay, relatively speaking. Some people like it, but the people who go into it expecting something like Transistor are often coming out of it disappointed.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Oh, I forgot to mention, I changed my mind and bought it the day it released, my current thoughts about it are that the art is beautiful just like the previous games, so is the soundtrack, very good soundtrack, Gameplay isn't as good as Bastion or transistors, it may also become repetitive reminding me a bit of retrieving the pieces of the staff of chaos in TES: 1 Arena, and the controls though simple may take some getting use to, the story is excellent and is filled with many interesting characters, that's all I can think of right now. :) At the moment I'd give it an 9/10 But that may change depending on the ending.

I've just begun my Pyre adventure! :squirrel:

MmmMmMmm-- Supergiant artistry hits the spot precisely for me. :mrgreen:
First comment: it cannot be overstated how spectacularly well they've nailed the soundtrack this time.
And although they've made it available on youtube, I can say with confidence already that it will a far more powerful experience if enjoyed as a lively part of the game and narrative.
The Book of Rites wrote:You do not need a pair of wings to be free.
My own wings, I once thought they could take me anywhere,
and then they took me here, where I am bound.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Online Now