Return to “Games”

Re: Stardew Valley

TGS wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:
TGS wrote:
Making grinding relaxing is oddly satisfying. I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, I got it but haven't had much time with it yet. Always been a fan of Harvest Moon type games. Provided they don't have a fixed "end point" like some of them have. Therefore more sandbox in nature. Not sure if Stardew Valley is or not.

That and there was talk earlier on about it getting Multiplayer/Co-Op I think... not sure if that is still intended or on the cards.
Holy F*ck this game is addicting. I believe there is already a coop mode or I so I believe. I am halfway through the summer. Fishing is my major income but I am not without a heart. The ladies beckon.
LOL. If there is a Co-Op mode, I haven't seen any sign of it, though as I said. I haven't really been playing it much. I might start playing it more.
There is a co-op mode planned for the near(?) future. I am in the first week of the fall. Getting married. Fishing is netting me(get it???) about 3-5k per day and that is not including treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJggZec6qqo <---Video showing early Co-op demonstration. Whether it is still planned or not...didn't look harder.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Is it just me, or is this fishing mechanic extraordinarily well designed?
Every time, it actually feels like a real battle --of varying intensity-- against a wily, desperate adversary with a strong will to live.
The result being that 'the one that got away' stories can be a little more fiery than
"I didn't push the button when I got the fish-is-biting cue. Darnit." :|
or
"I didn't mash the button fast enough to reel that one in. Darnit." :|
I don't have much to compare it to, granted, apart from several comparatively horrible MMO examples.

Anyway, I've not played Harvest Moon, so this is a fresh concept for me.
Bonus points awarded for digging up golden memories from my youth:
My great grandfather, now a very old man, was an Egg Man before he retired. He had a small 'egg-station' and delivered eggs, small-business-style, to various rural locations and a few restaurants around the county.
((My brother now lives where his little house once stood, and is very competent in helping my great uncle manage the farm. He raises a few chickens, pheasants, and ducks, and the fields produce soybeans and wheat.))
He also ferried fruits and vegetables around. He took me with him sometimes.
One time, we picked and ate a few apricots right from the trees planted along a farmer's driveway (I guess this was acceptable practice and encouraged by the farmer).
It was as simple as rolling down the window and reaching out.
From that day forward, I have held apricots in high regard.
So for my next spring, I'm going to have some (probably just two, I'm a strapped-for-cash inefficient filthy casual gamer) apricot trees.
And maybe one day, a huge orchard full of them. :mrgreen:
I hope Leah likes apricots too. :problem:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

I feel the same way about sugar cane.

When we would go to Baton Rouge to visit my maternal grandparents, if it was the right time of year my grandfather would drive us down the road and there would be stalks of sugar cane all over the place -- just pick one up and start gnawing on it.

OK, probably not good for the teeth long-term. :D But a delicious and simple pleasure from long ago.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

I planted fruit trees in the town to save room in my farm. Everyday I just wander through town, pluck the fruit and either sell it or turn it into jam or wine. Then sell it. Irridium sprinklers took a long time to get, but my entire farm is now self watered. Not that it is HUGE or anything...it is still tiny but growing.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Talvieno wrote:Sugar cane? In Louisiana? I thought it only grew in Hawaii and South America and other such places... Learn something new every day, I guess.
Very definitely.

In fact, we used to paddle down the bayou in our pirogues every morning to get to school, fighting off alligators for exercise. Sugar cane was necessary to keep our strength up for shaking off voodoo curses.

Good times.

Josh is from Baton Rouge; I'm certain he will confirm every word I said as gospel truth.

Especially the voodoo part. Man, that was so annoying; every day one of the kids would learn some new charm or sell off a piece of soul to a demon -- next thing you know, things would escalate to the point that a teacher would have to summon the spirit of Marie Laveau to dispel all the mischief.

All just part of a normal childhood in Louisiana.

Flatfingers wrote:Josh is from Baton Rouge; I'm certain he will confirm every word I said as gospel truth.

Especially the voodoo part. Man, that was so annoying; every day one of the kids would learn some new charm or sell off a piece of soul to a demon -- next thing you know, things would escalate to the point that a teacher would have to summon the spirit of Marie Laveau to dispel all the mischief.

All just part of a normal childhood in Louisiana.
:shock: :o

Cornflakes_91 wrote:*looks at date of Flats' posts*
*doesnt believe that Flat has even seen a boat in his life, not to speak about the rest*
:angel:
Wellllll... the voodoo part may have been exaggerated slightly. ;)

But for the record, in my youth I spent many happy hours in boats on the many bayous and lakes of Louisiana, and swimming in lakes with some parts sectioned off for alligators. And I really did enjoy being able to just pick up a piece of sugar cane and nibble away on it.

At any rate, back to Stardew Valley: Gamasutra posted a nice article about the amount of effort the developer put into it: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/267563/T ... Valley.php

Baile nam Fonn wrote:I'm still not over the fishing here. Such good! Make Explorer-type much pleased! :mrgreen:

I got a piece of clay for Winter star--mas. :| Or whatever it's called.
Here's hoping it won't be just a lump of coal for year 2.
Have to agree with you on that front - the fishing mechanics are very well done.

Online Now