Return to “Games”

Re: If Bethesda Made a Science Fiction Game...

Let me rephrase.

It could:
  • Heavily use the "creation club" system
  • Require an internet connection to play
  • Have ingame currency purchased with real-world money
  • Be off Steam and GOG so that Bethesda can "directly serve its customers"
  • Be buggy as all hell with numerous day-one patches that utterly fail to fix most of the gamebreaking problems
  • Have enough issues that customer support is required, but still have shameful customer support
  • Have strange coding issues where certain aspects of the game run unplayably fast at a high framerate
  • Have long, boring stretches of emptiness
  • Any number of other issues that were not actually present in Fallout 76, but are comparable in "oh my god, why" levels to the issues that are present (which is quite far-ranging thanks to the recent data leaks)
There's plenty of ways this could be completely screwed up, Silver. :P I still prefer to watch from a distance to see what things look like when the dust settles.

EDIT:
masseffect7 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 pm
Read some reports today that Bethesda is having serious issues with Starfield, ranging from issues with the story to issues with the engine. In many ways, It sounds like the Mass Effect: Andromeda development process. Hopefully, the result isn't the same in this case.
After a quick look-see, it looks like the source of information is an anonymous 4chan user. Questionable at best. :P It may not actually be legit.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:37 pm
Let me rephrase.

It could:
  • Heavily use the "creation club" system
  • Require an internet connection to play
  • Have ingame currency purchased with real-world money
  • Be off Steam and GOG so that Bethesda can "directly serve its customers"
  • Be buggy as all hell with numerous day-one patches that utterly fail to fix most of the gamebreaking problems
  • Have enough issues that customer support is required, but still have shameful customer support
  • Have strange coding issues where certain aspects of the game run unplayably fast at a high framerate
  • Have long, boring stretches of emptiness
  • Any number of other issues that were not actually present in Fallout 76, but are comparable in "oh my god, why" levels to the issues that are present (which is quite far-ranging thanks to the recent data leaks)
There's plenty of ways this could be completely screwed up, Silver. :P I still prefer to watch from a distance to see what things look like when the dust settles.
Oh, that I entirely agree with, but still. I'll likely get my money's worth of entertainment out of it.
$1/hour of entertainment (or less) is FAR superior to a Movie.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:35 pm
See, I don't really understand this line of thinking. It's apples and oranges, so to speak, because a movie is a condensed product, with (hopefully) very little fat during the 120 minute runtime. Meanwhile, a game first up requires a couple of hours to learn how to play at all before it lets you loose (which is generally not entertaining), and there's a lot more downtime, dull periods, or even worse, grinding and busywork, which I'd argue have a negative entertainment value, as it's just a second job that you paid for. Of my 460 hours in Elite: Dangerous, I don't think I ever got my $30 or what back, because most of it was just a thinly packaged Skinner box of shooting rocks, and watching Youtube while staring at the FSD load screen.

And FO76 is kind of hard to try to pass "fair" judgement on, as the age of demos is over, and refunds aren't even as standardized as they are on Steam :v Last time I tried something before I knocked it was Ready Player One, the book, and you're right, it was much worse than I would have given it credit for without reading.
panic

Mistycica wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:32 am
Silverware wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:35 pm
See, I don't really understand this line of thinking.
[...]
If you didn't enjoy Elite:Dangerous, I suppose it didn't qualify as "Entertainment" for you then. :D

I tend to be bored through movies and would much rather spend my time actively doing something that feels worthwhile - otherwise I'm left with the sense of wasted time. Most (actually good) games feel worth my time - and I go out of my way to make sure I don't play games I'm not 100% sure I'll enjoy. Thus, no wasted time. As a result, I've only played games that people very strongly recommended to me - and even then, I have a tendency to stop playing the moment I feel my time is being wasted.

(In an ironic twist, I'm better able to watch (very specific types of) tv series a lot more than I'm able to stomach movies. I suspect this might be because the longer length of a tv series enables a much deeper plot than you could ever get across in the timespan of a movie, and I really like deep, convoluted plots.)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now