Return to “Games”

Re: If Bethesda Made a Science Fiction Game...

Lum wrote:One thing I'd like to see in an upcoming Bethesda game would be more realistic sizes for cities and population. It's not only Bethesda's fault, since all developers do the same, more or less. That feeling that you wander around a relatively big place with some settlements and towns and, all in all, a couple dozens of NPCs across the lands. There are settlements with 3 houses and 5 people and they're called "towns". The capitals are fancy versions of the settlements, with more buildings and little more people. I don't feel like being in a populated area. I hope they can achieve that feeling one day.
Agreed. Although those wonderful modders take care of that rather well for Skyrim. Sometimes a little too well, Lum. ;) :angel:

Scytale wrote:Bethesda is great at constructing settings. But can it construct a science fiction idea and setting which makes the story the player tells by playing it dependent on that idea or setting? Really good science fiction does this: it makes the 'science-fiction'ness of the story inextricable from the story. While Star Trek DS9 was good, its setting (I would argue) was not essential to the kinds of stories it told. You could set DS9 in a border outpost under a Western setting and you could get, in principle, similar stories. Really quality science fiction is about people. Here is the best example of what I (or Bob Shaw, more accurately) thinks about this. A punchy short story that uses its idea - a glass that slows light so much that it would take years for the light to pass through a window - to tell an intensely human story.

Niven's Mote in God's Eye is such a human story because it's so much about the otherness of how an alien culture could develop. Dune is a complex examination of, among many other things, the afflictions that a hero brings to a people. These stories could not resemble themselves in any meaningful way if they were presented in a non-science fiction setting. Arrakis and the Spice are mere tools, they do not constitute the story.

Let's not fall into the trap of supposing that science-fiction -> good. Do we want Skyrim in space? Is it possible to frame an idea, or the setting, in such a way that we can have our characters tell their story in a way no other game could?
QFT. I've always thought about science-fiction that way. In fact, there is a wide accepted definition of the term that argumentates just that, but the other way around. Because defining sci-fi isn't always that simple. Is SW sci-fi? So that definition states something like: a book, movie or whatever is sci-fi IF the story elements/plot can't work anywhere else. If you can tell the story exactly the same way without using spaceships, robots or whatnot, then the thing isn't sci-fi. Is fantasy with robots. Or a western with spaceships.

So I'm not sold to that definition. I believe that sci-fi is whatever we think it can be. And as Scytale just said: a good story about characters, a good plot, containing space themed things only as background, is sci-fi. Fallout is sci-fi. But we want a modern, space based, sci-fi game :)
Last edited by Lum on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Lum wrote:One thing I'd like to see in an upcoming Bethesda game would be more realistic sizes for cities and population. It's not only Bethesda's fault, since all developers do the same, more or less. That feeling that you wander around a relatively big place with some settlements and towns and, all in all, a couple dozens of NPCs across the lands. There are settlements with 3 houses and 5 people and they're called "towns". The capitals are fancy versions of the settlements, with more buildings and little more people. I don't feel like being in a populated area. I hope they can achieve that feeling one day.
Agreed. Although those wonderful modders take care of that rather well for Skyrim. Sometimes a little too well, Lum. ;) :angel:
Yes Victor, but yet again those city expansions are little better. Whiterun's expansion is little more than a couple of farms, some kids running around and more NPCs fooling around. The first you thing is: where the hell come all that people from? Is every single small house in this little town crowded from basement to roof? :D But there is no other way, if you expand every major city the way it should be (getting Skyrim population up to some hundreds of peoplo), the country would be relatively small...
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Lum wrote:Yes Victor, but yet again those city expansions are little better. Whiterun's expansion is little more than a couple of farms, some kids running around and more NPCs fooling around. The first you thing is: where the hell come all that people from? Is every single small house in this little town crowded from basement to roof? :D But there is no other way, if you expand every major city the way it should be (getting Skyrim population up to some hundreds of peoplo), the country would be relatively small...
:lol: I'm convinced many of them live in the secret dormitory below the Bannered Mare, Lum. It's a nightmare getting to the bar in my game. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if my answer got nuked, or if was all a dream, the thing is I can't find it, so if you are seeing this two times you will have to deal with it.

:mrgreen:

After playing the wonderful Soma I wouldn't mind to see a Bethesda game featuring a futuristic underwater civilization. Everything you may want from a space game but in a complete and challenging new environment. And you get rid of inertia and zero G keeping some of its advantages anyway. I love underwater environments.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
:lol: Wow, you sure did! Jury's still out on whether it's better though. :D As long as they can keep from repeating Fallout 76, they might be able to pull it off.
Then let's qualify the post...
Scytale wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:17 pm
I'm totally gonna sound 15, but what if Bethesda made a Mass Effect game but open-world and better than Andromeda
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm
And now they can't possibly fail! :D
Exactly. :D
You know you'll spend a good hundred hours on the game, even if it's only Morrowind Quality, so it'll at least be a reasonable success.
We know any gunplay will be of Fo4 quality or higher, and that spacemagic (if included) will be of at least skyrim quality.
So other than expecting a mediocre story, we can at least expect some fun exploration and gameplay loop.

Enough for me to buy it day one at least.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:32 pm
Could still be FO76 quality. :? And for me, that wouldn't be worth a buy.
Ug. So many people judging the game without having played it.
Sure, its buggy as hell. Sure there are some less than nice limitations.

But the gameplay loop itself? The world?
Is actually quite fun.

The multiplayer aspect has, so far for me, lacked in trolls and dicks, and has been quite fun.
PvP is exciting as hell, and you never really feel persecuted in PvP.

The Graphical quality is a little above Fo4, mostly in the lighting tech, and the world is fairly fleshed out.
Sure it has lots more open empty space, but it doesn't make the world feel empty, it does however help make the game's pace feel a lot more sedate than Fo4 or any previous Bethesda game.

Feel free to not play it, but please people, stop judging it without trying it.
It feels very different to play than to it does to watch idiot youtubers.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now