Return to “Games”

Re: If Bethesda Made a Science Fiction Game...

If Bethesda Made a Science Fiction Game...
Spoiler:      SHOW
... it would be choked full of bugs as it always is...
... and it would be over-priced because so full of bugs...
... and it would be over-hyped because it is a Bethesda game...
... and it would be over-rated because it is a Bethesda game...

... and I am tired of waiting for years for the community to fix the unending bugs standing long after the official support from Bethesda has ceased. It has become a trend: they count on it to happen, they know it will, which is totally unprofessional from a big company such as their. One thing is to involve the community, another is to exploit the involvement into finishing their Beta for them.

If Bethesda Made a Science Fiction any Game... I would pass on it without regret.
FO4 is already out of my scope.

And I say again, fox, that's what modders are for. ;)

I agree the games from the Bethesda stable are usually....frustrating when they are first introduced and although I usually enjoy most of what they have to offer it is the work of the army of modders who really make the games shine. :D I would have put my armour back on the shelf and headed for the nearest exit long ago if I had to depend on Bethesda for added content and bug fixes in Skyrim. As it is I'm just leaving two thousand hours of gameplay behind and looking forward to several more hundreds. :D

And you must be realistic about these things. The complexity of some games is extreme and until recent times open betatesting wasn't a common practice. It isn't less true that products that are supposed to be complete and without problems (and even expensive ones) DO have problems. You buy an pricey car and you get "bugs" with it. At any rate, modding is a good WAY to fix and improve games. It's essentially free for you, you only need a little patience. Upgrading or repairing your car is expensive ;)

Edit: way
Last edited by Lum on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

fox wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:And I say again, fox, that's what modders are for. ;)
With that statement you condone their behavior and implicitly do your part in fueling the trend. Bad, Victor, Bad!
This isn't the first time I've been accused of being part of the problem, fox, but the truth is I don't expect any game to be "perfect" when it hits that release date. It may be totally unpalatable for you but I'm in agreement with Cornflakes and Lum on this one. :)

I may be a bit too forgiving when it comes to problems of this nature but unless the game is a complete dog's dinner/breakfast I'm prepared to accept that we don't live in the world of the flawless product. :angel:

At least Bethesda give us the wherewithal to address some of the problems that's got to be a few points in their favour.

fox wasn't suggesting that a game be "flawless" and "perfect" when released - he was suggesting that it be finished.

If I bought an expensive car and it turned out the doors fall off when you go round corners, it's all very well saying, "well here's a guy you can go to that will fix them for free", but that shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

At the rate it's going, they may as well just release a blank square with a character that can walk and jump and let the modders make the rest of the game for them.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

DigitalDuck wrote:fox wasn't suggesting that a game be "flawless" and "perfect" when released - he was suggesting that it be finished.
:eh: Skyrim WAS finished. I played the whole of the vanilla game without getting the impression that it was unfinished. It had bugs and glitches but none of those proved to be game breaking for me. :angel:

But the truth is a well modded Skyrim is on a whole different level when compared with the vanilla offering.

The only game I've played that felt a little unfinished was KOTOR 2. And in that case I've no bad blood towards the people at Obsidian. They got cuts in time and money all over the place. Still, the main questline was there. One could feel the potential for secondary questlines and not used places. The interaction system between companions was not fully implemented, but interesting nonetheless.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

You say
Victor Tombs wrote: :eh: Skyrim WAS finished. I played the whole of the vanilla game without getting the impression that it was unfinished. It had bugs and glitches but none of those proved to be game breaking for me. :angel:
but yet you say
Victor Tombs wrote:I would have put my armour back on the shelf and headed for the nearest exit long ago if I had to depend on Bethesda for added content and bug fixes in Skyrim.
While you could argue it was "finished", it clearly wasn't anywhere near the game others have made it. What is keeping you playing the game is not the work of Bethesda, but the work of modders. You're not enjoying Skyrim, you're enjoying content produced for it.

Bethesda are not the ones providing your entertainment, and yet they continue to receive the money and recognition for it. And as modding scene increases, they are required to do less and less work while more and more people pay them to do so.

This is the problem I have, at least - it's a case of the people providing your game experience not being the ones receiving recognition for it. Let's not go back into the "should mods be free" argument, but if you're "depending" (your words) on the work of others to massively extend your game's playtime, it suggests that the original game is incredibly lacking in content and yet the increasing support and modding only encourages them to put less content into future releases.

The other problem I have is that many of the same people defending this course of action from Bethesda will simultaneously complain about every other developer when they create day 1 (and future) patches to a game, as though it should be perfect upon release for those developers but not Bethesda. The cognitive dissonance between the two points of view is astounding and one often shown by fans (not saying that's happening here, but it can be annoying to see).

Basically, I'd like to see the people who do the work get the recognition and rewards, and the people who get the recognition and rewards do the work. I don't like to see the people who get the recognition and rewards do a tiny amount of the work and then expect everyone else to do the work for them.

That said, that pretty much describes every CEO ever so I guess we're all screwed. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Online Now