Return to “Games”

Metal Gear Solid V

So, this is actually my first metal gear game I have ever played (Don't kill me please :oops: ) and I bought it because I heard it was an extremely good port and because I saw this hilarious video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWq96ZMrJzA) plus it has base building elements, and I can say, it was worth it.

This game runs great on my mid-high tier rig, and I am actually .6ghz slower processor than what the minimum spec required yet I still get 60fps at almost all times with most settings at med to high and it still looks amazing. I was fearful because I also recently purchased Dragon Age Inquisition, and that pushes my system to its max potential, while this game only keeps it around its middle range of use/heat.

But the game itself is also pretty great, and I have a story that I have been telling co-workers since it happened:

My task was to sneak into an enemy stronghold and capture a Russian captain who was stationed there. Under cover of night, I managed to sneak past all the guards without KO'ing any of them and got into a building. I could hear music playing so I started heading toward it to see if I could add the tape to my collection. When I entered the room I saw some resources and proceeded to gather them, while I heard the song "The Kids in America" playing in the background. After I took the tape, I almost completely missed it but there was someone asleep in a bed in the corner of the room, and not just any person, it was my target.

The only problem was that I had decided to try a regular pistol instead of a stun pistol (Big mistake) so I had no way of waking him up so I could subdue him myself, and if I shot at him it would alert every guard in the entire complex. So, I tried using some empty clips that are normally used for a noise distraction and threw some at him, and while they were literally bouncing off of him, he was not waking up. So I proceeded to throw more and more at him, but I missed that a guard had walked into the room and was looking around for the noises of my clips hitting the floor. I didn't see him come in so before he could call his fellow guards, I knocked him against a wall which left him unconscious and then picked up his body an THREW it at the sleeping general, waking him up, but I managed to knock him out myself, picked him up, walked outside, and Fulton'ed him into the sky before anyone noticed, which completed the mission.

That entire ordeal was hilarious to me. Not noticing the general sleeping in the corner while looting his room, the fact that he was Russian and fell asleep listening to "The kids in America" and that I used another guard's body to wake him up when 15 empty clips to the face wouldn't.

However, I do hear that there is a multiplayer function that you cannot get around unless you skip a story mission. I have not done it yet so I don't know the details, but you can build forward bases which can be reinforced by your soldiers which slowly generate supplies for you. The problem is that other players can invade them and take your resources which means you have to abandon the mission you are on to go help defend (or risk losing resources) or even worse, the fact that you can be attacked while offline and you can lose your soldiers and resources, leaving you with near nothing when you log in to the game if you have not played in a while. As of now there is no way to get around it without skipping a story mission which I feel needs to be fixed. I don't want to earn tons of money and resources, go on vacation (Or just play other games) and then come back and be near broke.

Anyway, wall of text over, I have had great fun with it so far, and if they make the online stuff opt-in then I would highly recommend anyone to try this game. And this is coming from someone who has never played a Metal Gear game before. (again, don't kill me :cry: )
Re: Metal Gear Solid V

My first ever MGS Game too!
Was just streaming it, I have been enjoying the fuck out of it.
But it has some paranormal shit that I was totally not expecting. And that is putting me off somewhat.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote: But it has some paranormal shit that I was totally not expecting. And that is putting me off somewhat.
If you knew MGS1 or 2 you wouldn't be surprised at all, it's always been part of the series, just like the silly tongue in cheek bits between lapses of serious thought. Psycho Mantis? Vamp? C'mon. There's been far crazier things.

Anyway, the game is amazing. Both the technical aspect, which is smooth, and gameplay and story. Sandstorms always hit when I need them most, I feel, so many fun moments :D Don't wanna spoil nothing. It's just good.
panic

Hi, MrPerson. Glad you have decide to enter to the wonderful world of Metal Gear Solid. :thumbup:
MrPerson wrote:However, I do hear that there is a multiplayer function that you cannot get around unless you skip a story mission. I have not done it yet so I don't know the details, but you can build forward bases which can be reinforced by your soldiers which slowly generate supplies for you. The problem is that other players can invade them and take your resources which means you have to abandon the mission you are on to go help defend (or risk losing resources) or even worse, the fact that you can be attacked while offline and you can lose your soldiers and resources, leaving you with near nothing when you log in to the game if you have not played in a while. As of now there is no way to get around it without skipping a story mission which I feel needs to be fixed. I don't want to earn tons of money and resources, go on vacation (Or just play other games) and then come back and be near broke.
For what I understand it doesn't work that way so you shouldn't be worried about it. Other players can't attack mother base, your place out of heaven, just your FOBs (bases that you build only if you want to grow your army far beyond its limits), which is completely an optional feature. Besides, you can put defense systems on your Forward Operating Bases so usually it shouldn't be necessary to defend your bases yourself. (And if you have friends on-line you can ask then to help you to defend your home for you if they can.)

Unfortunately, I can't buy the game just yet. (Too expensive for me. It's not that it doesn't worth it. It certainly does. The last one in the most significant game series ever. It's an historical event. It's just that I sincerely can't. :( I'm waiting for a better price with great pain.) Otherwise, I will offer you my help, and I certainly will be glad to assist you and anybody else on this forums if they need my help to defend their FOBs when I finally manage to put my hands on this beauty.

Note: The next is a beautiful video made by Kojima himself thanking his fans. The ending made me cry a little. :oops:

Debriefing
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Like I said, I have not gotten to the part with FOBs yet, I just read a ton of posts on the forums complaining on how they want that feature to be optional because you can lose staff and resources from it, and its required in a story step (22 I think?) and people keep saying that even if you put the game in offline mode people can still attack your FOB's to take your stuff.

One of the largest threads on the steam forum for it is actually the one with people trying to convince Konami to make the feature optional, or toggle-able, which would be very nice.

MrPerson wrote:Like I said, I have not gotten to the part with FOBs yet, I just read a ton of posts on the forums complaining on how they want that feature to be optional because you can lose staff and resources from it, and its required in a story step (22 I think?) and people keep saying that even if you put the game in offline mode people can still attack your FOB's to take your stuff.

One of the largest threads on the steam forum for it is actually the one with people trying to convince Konami to make the feature optional, or toggle-able, which would be very nice.
I havent gotten there yet either, but I am one of those having massive troubles actually maintaining an online status. :(

But the game is amazing, and mortars are OP as fuck!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

I'm very interested in the game, what i've seen and read about makes me really want to play it but that price tag.... And the part about the multiplayer puts me off a bit, this is a game that i don't want to be forced to be online to play it. Do we really need that to progress in the main storyline?

Godz wrote:I'm very interested in the game, what i've seen and read about makes me really want to play it but that price tag.... And the part about the multiplayer puts me off a bit, this is a game that i don't want to be forced to be online to play it. Do we really need that to progress in the main storyline?
Not in the traditional sense. you are given story missions in groups of like, 4 I believe, so you can skip 22 and still do 23 and on. Example, I am only on group 10-13 of the main story missions right now, and you unlock more, the more story missions you play. So I have heard you can safely skip 22 and play the rest of it.

And no you don't have to be online to play it (As in you can't launch it in offline mode) it just turns off certain features, like the daily login bonus of resources and a few minor things. But if you have built and staffed an FOB then it can still be attacked while offline, which I think is stupid

You are supposed to basically add all the randoms as people to defend their FOBs then they are supposed to do the same, so anyone can defend you while you are offline.
It's a dumb mechanic though.

But I havent gotten there yet either.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Godz wrote:Thanks for the replies :thumbup:
Hmmm i still have to think if its worth it.... between what i have to play now and the release of Fallout 4 there won't be much time left to play it :think: Guess it's time to watch some more videos of it 8-)
Watch my stream of it tonight.
It does have a 5/5 rating from most places.
And the gameplay is amazing.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

I find it weird. I never read Steam comments of a game I didn't finished and don't care much about people complains. I considerer this topic to have too many spoiler by the way. I suggest to use the spoiler tag in future comments that reveal specifics like story missions and such.

Other than that, FOBs are the multiplayer aspect of the Metal Gear Solid V campaign. (This is, aside from the Metal Gear Solid Online 3 game.) So if you build FOBs is pretty obvious that it will force you to be part of the multiplayer mechanics designed for it. Peace Walker also have multiplayer elements and a lot of mechanics designed for it (no FOBs but you can bring other player as Mother Base soldiers), but the game doesn't suffer if you play it offline. I think that the idea that other players attacking your forward bases is more than interesting and seems to be there to avoid that players accumulate unlimited amounts of resources, which would have been ridiculous. So it's pretty simple: if you want to play offline only then don't build FOBs. Otherwise is just players trying to abuse the game resource mechanics.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Online Now