Return to “Games”

Re: EVERSPACE

Victor Tombs wrote:And I return to find update news on EVERSPACE. :) So I think I should take a look at the now available Beta version of the game. :angel:
Yes, Beta is out. I havent touched it yet.
But Beta *is* out. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:Dunno, but it's not as good or as pretty as Everspace, from the looks of it. :D
Yeah, I mean, there's hardly anything in space. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Coming Soon: EVERSPACE -- gog.com
But how soon is soon?

And what kind of game exactly is EVERSPACE? The words roguelike and procedural are kind of abused nowadays. It is hard for me to nail down the game type. It will be a shooter, alright, but what else beyond that? Does it have a story to give a purpose to it all, or will it be just another excuse to fly in space to pewpew your lasers? Is it kin to a sandbox? And why do I see that big CHALLENGES button in the interface?? Tell me that this game will not rely on challenges/achievements to prolong its own lifetime by making you repeat the same scenarios over and over just to unlock a pretty icon in the GUI.

Graphics aside, if it has a production value similar to that of Rogue Galaxy I will be more than satisfied. Too many modern games have promised the Moon, but have delivered common rocks with caveats.
Games were better when they were simple and small.

fox wrote:Coming Soon: EVERSPACE -- gog.com
But how soon is soon?
I backed it on kickstarter and have read a lot about it but I didn't back at a level to get beta access so I haven't actually PLAYED it. (Beta is Steam-Only and I don't do steam... so I'm waiting for the gog.com release)
fox wrote: And what kind of game exactly is EVERSPACE? The words roguelike and procedural are kind of abused nowadays. It is hard for me to nail down the game type. It will be a shooter, alright, but what else beyond that? Does it have a story to give a purpose to it all, or will it be just another excuse to fly in space to pewpew your lasers? Is it kin to a sandbox? And why do I see that big CHALLENGES button in the interface?? Tell me that this game will not rely on challenges/achievements to prolong its own lifetime by making you repeat the same scenarios over and over just to unlock a pretty icon in the GUI.
I don't know how much detail you want so I'll give you the most basic explanation that defines what they mean by roguelike and procedural.

You'll start the game with a basic ship and you'll start in one zone and battle your way through... but it will be really hard with the start ship and so you'll almost certainly die (maybe not in the very first zone but well before the last). When you die you start over, you can't just reload from the save you had before you died. This is what makes it "roguelike". SOME things do carry over though which means the next time you play you'll have better stuff than the previous and thus you should get farther. In theory it should take many tries to get all the way to the end and it would be pretty boring to play the same early levels over and over so that's where the procedural generation comes in. So the zones change each time and so you'll get different zones each time instead of playing the same ones over and over. Hopefully that answers your question and again this is based off of the kickstarter so if someone who actually played the Beta sees something I said that is incorrect feel free to chime in and set the record straight.

Asmodai wrote:
fox wrote:Coming Soon: EVERSPACE -- gog.com
But how soon is soon?
I backed it on kickstarter and have read a lot about it but I didn't back at a level to get beta access so I haven't actually PLAYED it. (Beta is Steam-Only and I don't do steam... so I'm waiting for the gog.com release)
fox wrote: And what kind of game exactly is EVERSPACE? The words roguelike and procedural are kind of abused nowadays. It is hard for me to nail down the game type. It will be a shooter, alright, but what else beyond that? Does it have a story to give a purpose to it all, or will it be just another excuse to fly in space to pewpew your lasers? Is it kin to a sandbox? And why do I see that big CHALLENGES button in the interface?? Tell me that this game will not rely on challenges/achievements to prolong its own lifetime by making you repeat the same scenarios over and over just to unlock a pretty icon in the GUI.
I don't know how much detail you want so I'll give you the most basic explanation that defines what they mean by roguelike and procedural.

You'll start the game with a basic ship and you'll start in one zone and battle your way through... but it will be really hard with the start ship and so you'll almost certainly die (maybe not in the very first zone but well before the last). When you die you start over, you can't just reload from the save you had before you died. This is what makes it "roguelike". SOME things do carry over though which means the next time you play you'll have better stuff than the previous and thus you should get farther. In theory it should take many tries to get all the way to the end and it would be pretty boring to play the same early levels over and over so that's where the procedural generation comes in. So the zones change each time and so you'll get different zones each time instead of playing the same ones over and over. Hopefully that answers your question and again this is based off of the kickstarter so if someone who actually played the Beta sees something I said that is incorrect feel free to chime in and set the record straight.
Alpha backer, yo. Pretty much what Asmodai said, you go from sector to sector, gathering materials to keep moving. Better weapons, fuel, etc. The sectors are procedurally generated, so one day you might get a huge asteroid with a base on it, another a huge cloud of debris.

Think FTL but with less choices and more third person pew pewing.

When, inevitably you get horribly killed, any money you've earned can be put back into buying perks for your ship. More armour, better sensors, blah blah for when you start again.

Oh, and the challenge button? Just a few extra things you can do during a run to earn a bit more cash. I had to destroy a drone by ramming it and destroy 20 missiles in flight. Because, you know, I'm awesome.

I've spent 37 hours playing it since the first alpha release, so it's definitely held my attention. The combat is just that good. :twisted:

Lum wrote:Can't wait for release. I backed it only at the "game-only" level and must wait for it :angel:

Have they sticked to the KB+Mouse-mantra or did they reach the stretch goal for pad support? Anyway, it seems gorgeous and I can't wait to get to it :ghost:
Controller is there, yeah, but the keyboard and mouse controls are nigh on perfect. :squirrel:

So, I threw the devs a few Euros for a GoG-Key (I don't "do" Steam anymore, so I was rather happy to see it turn up there). Release for the Early Access Version seems to be planned for early September, i.e. just around the corner.

So, while I'm here, and some of you chaps obviously played it already...

Is there an "end" to the shooting spree, like FTL's final sector (with the mothership from hell)? Also, did the devs get around to implementing more than one playable ship model for the player?

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Online Now