Return to “Games”

Re: Stellaris

This, from Fredrik Wester at Paradox, is making the rounds today:
Image That is remarkably close to my own goals, except that mine has less emphasis on mechanics and more on a lot of simulated dynamics in the gameworld.

Still a summary that sounds like a pretty good fit for LT as well, though.

Silverware wrote:If the simulation doesn't add to the game-play, drop it.
(if it is a game that is)

Dynamics are pointless if they never add to the experience.

If they add to it however, go crazy. :D
This is true.

It's equally true for rules-based mechanics, and character-driven stories. If they don't support the intended play experience, then they ought to get bushwhacked.

In short: know your target audience, define your vision, and understand how every proposed feature connects those two endpoints.

I'd say Paradox has that well in hand.

JanB1 wrote:I think, every developer out there (and I mean primarily the big developers) should take a look at this and show this at every conference.

Looking at you Ubi and EA...
Fucking A.

Ubi and EA really need to be reeducated.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I don't see that happening. They rake in the dough with almost whatever they push out the door. I know they are capable of more than just Assasins Creed CLXXXVIII, as they released some clever games like Grow Home recently. They just don't make any money with "clever" games like that. When EA and Ubi stop making money they will change, but they keep making money- why would they change?
Libertas per Technica

Graf wrote:(...) but they keep making money- why would they change?
Yeah, that's the problem. There are still too many people out there to pay money for stupid, overpriced DLC's that only offer cosmetics. And there are still many people who want the perfect game yesterday, and make pressure on the devs. And then get disappointed and angry when the game isn't finished and downrate it to hell. :cry:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JanB1 wrote: Want. But can't. Gotta wait till my PayPal Account is filled up again... :(
no bank account to use sofortüberweisung from?
Nope. :(

Hmm...if someone would GIFT it to me, I could pay it back next monday. :roll:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:Image go get it
Want. But can't. Gotta wait till my PayPal Account is filled up again... :(
Well you can always play with us in multiplayer, like all Paradox Studios games, whomever hosts dictates the DLC and all others get to play with the content of those. Many of us have it, so many of us could allow you to play the features. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
JanB1 wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:Image go get it
Want. But can't. Gotta wait till my PayPal Account is filled up again... :(
Well you can always play with us in multiplayer, like all Paradox Studios games, whomever hosts dictates the DLC and all others get to play with the content of those. Many of us have it, so many of us could allow you to play the features. :D
Looking forward to playing with you guys. ;)

Sadly I can't join the big multiplayer round this weekend because I'm not at home. :(
Nothing to see here

Online Now