Return to “Games”

Re: Stellaris

I don't like hyperlanes either. I'm with MassEffect7 on this one. I played with hyperlanes only in my first game and avoided them like the plague ever since. I just really loathe being trapped in like hyperlanes do to you, and I like the tactical options that wormholes can afford a player.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Silverware wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:49 pm
I prefer hyperlane only games personally. They make for more interesting tactical situations.
But as it stands, wormhole is clearly the best FTL.

These changes should be good for the game.
This
I am glad that systems have more tactical value now, as choke points and such, unlike before, where you could simply NOT go through them, or skip past them in hyperlane.

I wonder if Paradox plans on adding some form of civilian traffic. The wormhole and gate system could really work well with that.

I am seeing a fan split happening here :P

They clearly made this choice for multiplayer people, which is fine, but as a single player person, I really dislike the change. The multiplayer crowd is obsessive about balance. Anyone who has played a lot of Paradox games should know that balance isn't typically a main concern. I feel that they've bowed down to the MP crowd and they will end up leaving a lot of other players behind. They ended up choosing the option that was easiest for them to implement, but for me as a player, it is the least interesting and the least unique out of all of the options they proposed in the Dev Diary. I don't want Stellaris to be like every other space game, and I feel like this is a step in the wrong direction. I think there are ways that they could have implemented this better. I understand the problem with the wormhole FTL when it comes to defense, but you could have easily cut wormhole and still had warp defended against by warp interdiction systems and hyperlanes by fortresses. Doing that would have made people like Tal and I happy and the MP people who want better defense happy too.

masseffect7 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:10 pm
They clearly made this choice for multiplayer people, which is fine, but as a single player person, I really dislike the change. The multiplayer crowd is obsessive about balance. Anyone who has played a lot of Paradox games should know that balance isn't typically a main concern. I feel that they've bowed down to the MP crowd and they will end up leaving a lot of other players behind. They ended up choosing the option that was easiest for them to implement, but for me as a player, it is the least interesting and the least unique out of all of the options they proposed in the Dev Diary.
and an option thats easy to implement solidly and gives the most interesting options.
yes, warp and wormhole drives are cool and flexible, they are also incredibly boring because you just skip everything in your path.
i literally never look at the route my ships take because it doesnt matter at all.
i look out for the odd AI fleet that could maybe stumble into my path, but as jump entry and exit points are absolutely arbitrary and the AI too stupid for proper intercepts i really dont care.
masseffect7 wrote:
I don't want Stellaris to be like every other space game
because a change to some medium, not defining mechanic instantly makes the game like "every other space game"?

masseffect7 wrote:
and I feel like this is a step in the wrong direction. I think there are ways that they could have implemented this better. I understand the problem with the wormhole FTL when it comes to defense, but you could have easily cut wormhole and still had warp defended against by warp interdiction systems and hyperlanes by fortresses. Doing that would have made people like Tal and I happy and the MP people who want better defense happy too.
and have two different systems do basically the same with a lot of extra headache.

yes, lanes are more restrictive, but i think at least the basic idea of the change is sound.
make the systems between you and your target matter (because right now they mostly dont except if you happen to stumble into the odd fortress with FTL snares, which are also mostly delay and no actual deterrent)
make interception less of a "hah i looked on your fleet orders and know where your ships have to go through" affair (which is pretty much the only way to intercept fleets, which is mostly boring or tedious or numerical superiority or pure luck)
have STL speed matter beyond moving to and from planets to nuke.

all in all make movement something more interesting than it is right now, make solar systems an actual concern for movement etc.

yes its sad that they have to "streamline" the other kinds of FTL into the lanes, but i personally prefer a single, well done, interesting system over a couple of less restricting but overall uninteresting mechanics.

In every match the AI feels like it's holding its punches. Doesn't directly go after my wormhole stations, doesn't just jump into each of my systems to wipe the starport out to nullify my production. I managed to rebound from hopeless situations simply because the AI didn't feel like committing to the war, and it feels unfair when I just jump into any of their owned systems from miles away because wormholes. I think choke points (and their high tech bypasses) are going to make wars a lot more interesting, along with the new fortification and system claim options. Having to cross gravity wells will be especially nifty for finally managing to intercept fleets, instead of having to uselessly watch them jump in and out at one point.

The performance improvement from the removal of wormholes is hopefully going to be nice. And the stellar terrain concept with the shield nullifying pulsar is also exciting. I see a good bit of EU in there, choosing your defensive positions well and practically stack wiping your opponents, it makes me happy.

Now only if we could spawn in such a way that not every hyperlane exit is blocked by a Leviathan... :ghost:
panic

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:20 am
Mistycica wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:30 pm
Now only if we could spawn in such a way that not every hyperlane exit is blocked by a Leviathan...
Easily doable, but I suppose they aren't particularly concerned about it. :lol: They should be, though.
With the changes they are deciding to make chokepoints and topography important, and do a hyperlane placement overhaul.
But this suggests more to me that it'll make for an interesting story with a Leviathan blocking a main trade route. :3
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:56 pm
Dunno. Personally, if I started a game and discovered I was stuck, I would restart the game.
It's definitely a pretty brutal struggle. But it also makes a good story if you somehow manage to make it. I like the midgame's emergent stuff best, start and end are predictable and sloggish.
panic

Talvieno wrote:
Dunno. Personally, if I started a game and discovered I was stuck, I would restart the game.
The fact that I never felt the need to restart because of start position was one of the things I liked about Stellaris. Unlike Civ, where the game could actually be won during the initial loading screen, I never felt that my start position in Stellaris doomed me to failure or destined me to victory, at least when I wasn't using hyperlanes. If I'm using hyperlanes, start position becomes far more important. Maybe that's what they're going for, but personally I'm not a fan of it in a space game.

masseffect7 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:21 pm
Talvieno wrote:
The fact that I never felt the need to restart because of start position was one of the things I liked about Stellaris. Unlike Civ, where the game could actually be won during the initial loading screen, I never felt that my start position in Stellaris doomed me to failure or destined me to victory, at least when I wasn't using hyperlanes. If I'm using hyperlanes, start position becomes far more important. Maybe that's what they're going for, but personally I'm not a fan of it in a space game.
You have never been stuck between an Advanced Fanatical Purifier and a Fallen Empire have you?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:47 pm
You have never been stuck between an Advanced Fanatical Purifier and a Fallen Empire have you?
:lol: :ghost:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Detritus wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 am
Silverware wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:47 pm
:lol: :ghost:
Det, on the other hand, has. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now