Return to “Games”

Re: Stellaris

I'd rather roleplay an empire in a game with solid mechanics configured to allow and reward the roleplay, than do so in a game where the mechanics are kept deliberately broken so that I could break character at the last moment to win. I hate doomstacks, I'm glad they're gone (or mitigated, at least), and if we're arguing roleplay, doomstacks have a very specific role to... play. If doomstacks are a surefire way to win no matter what, then if I'm roleplaying a peace-loving hippy xenophile and I see things fall apart at the last minute, escaping my fate with a doomstack is unsatisfactory. That's not a consistent roleplay. I can see "to each their own" but the roleplaying argument should at least be consistent.

It would be a better story if I just the game without breaking character. That's the whole point of RImworld's 'storyteller' AIs, by the way.

Anyway, in the next paid expansion they're introducing megacorporations. I welcome the opportunity for more varied roleplay in a well-designed, clearly thought-through mechanic environment, as well as enriching the ways other people can lose.

A game like this doesn't have to be fun only when winning, it should also be fun when you lose in interesting ways. Wouldn't that be a worthy goal to aspire to for any game? Again, Rimworld, arguably a sandbox game. Dwarf Fortress too, for that matter.

It's where CK2 falls down a little.
It'd be nice if there were a way to continue a game, even after you "lose".
Either take over from a bastard branch, or continue as a Baron trying to scavenge enough power to get a county again.
Or the ability to continue play from someone's Court.

Then you could properly follow an entire world through, even if you are in a position where you have lost, you may eventually be able to make a comeback.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
Toba - A Development Dump

Silverware wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm
Either take over from a bastard branch, or continue as a Baron trying to scavenge enough power to get a county again.

Then you could properly follow an entire world through, even if you are in a position where you have lost, you may eventually be able to make a comeback.
Couldn't agree more. Families making a comeback was not unheard of, and I'm surprised Paradox hasn't implemented a mechanic to represent that phenomenon.

masseffect7 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:56 am
Silverware wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Couldn't agree more. Families making a comeback was not unheard of, and I'm surprised Paradox hasn't implemented a mechanic to represent that phenomenon.
Because it's a "hard" solution to implement in the current system. CK3 may include it.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
Toba - A Development Dump

Online Now