Return to “Games”

BattleTech

Fresh off of their success with Shadowrun it seems that Harebrained Schemes intends on reviving BattleTech:

"Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce their return to Kickstarter this Fall to partner with Backers in co-funding the creation of BATTLETECH. Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades. Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics."

http://battletechgame.com/
Re: BattleTech

Holy shit! ANYONE who knows me knows that this is DEFINITELY relevant to my interests! Thanks a ton for sharing this!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Will be getting my copy of Shadowrun: Hong Kong in a short time, so I will definitely keep an eye on this once I start playing it. Once a kickstarter is started, could someone make sure that it is made known here? :)
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Hey! I had a Battletech box set back in my teen days. I've read the manual 6 or 7 times and played maybe two games... Getting a person from my friends circle to play something like that was near impossible but I love all this Macross, Mechwarrior, Battletech stuff and couldn't resist the temptation to buy the box when I saw it at my local geek store. It was my first, one and only strategy game with hexagonal grid... :ghost:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

I was introduced to BattleTech in High School (late 80's, early 90's) and played it a fair amount with my friends.
As well as playing with friends at our homes and before/after school it was my introduction to miniature gaming at the hobby shop.
I tried to evolve from it to Warhammer/Warhammer 40k but the costs involved ended up being prohibitive at the time and I had ZERO interest in the painting/assembly aspects of miniatures. (I'd have been more than happy to buy pre-painted plastic minis for cheap over unpainted metal ones). I've always found the Warhammer lore fascinating though.

I dabbled in the pen and paper Mechwarrior RPG but it never caught on in my friends circle and we got our robot combat fix from Palladium books Robotech RPGs and later Rifts.
I also tried Heavy Gear (both miniatures game and RPG) and it didn't really stick either.

On PC I had MechWarrior 1, 2, and Mercenaries and enjoyed them but they're FPS style mech-sims set in the same world not in any way like the BattleTech board/miniature game.

I'm really hoping this is closer to the miniature game. If I can design my own mechs, and get to run a mercenary company by selecting contracts, keeping track of the budget (including getting salvage, buying ammo and repairs, building/buying more mechs, etc.) that would be GREAT. I hope they start at the beginning (pre-clan invasion) and let us do things like discover old comstar tech that we can use.

PLEASE don't mess this up HBS!

(p.s. The cartoony look was fine for Shadowrun as the book art looks like that but I REALLY hope this game has a more realistic or even anime style)

Now that´s good news :o

Even thought I have only played MechWarrior Mercenaries for a while (I seem to have lost it somewhere or sometime >.< ) it was a great game...delivering the right amount of Mech-Fun coupled with other interesting things ^^

But now that I think about it...It´s a lot closer to the old Metalizer from Greenwood...that one also was kind of turn based...now that would be awesome if there´s some of the old gameplay-feeling from back then :squirrel:
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

As one who's getting more skeptical of Kickstarter as time goes on, I have mixed feelings about this, but only in terms of execution. I'm glad Battletech is seeing continual development and that people aren't content simply with MWO.

The only Battletech games I have played were the two Mech Assault games for Original Xbox (which everyone seems to hate for some reason) and I dabbled in Mech warrior online.

I love the way this universe makes mechs feel, slow lumbering but highly dangerous, instead of that Gundam lightning fast laser sword BS (sorry gundam fans :lol: )

MrPerson wrote:The only Battletech games I have played were the two Mech Assault games for Original Xbox (which everyone seems to hate for some reason) and I dabbled in Mech warrior online.

I love the way this universe makes mechs feel, slow lumbering but highly dangerous, instead of that Gundam lightning fast laser sword BS (sorry gundam fans :lol: )
One of the reasons the MechAssault games weren't much liked by BT fans was because of how arcade-y it was. I don't speak from experience, just from what I hear. BT has always been about careful and intelligent use of resources, so that you're always working with a certain kind of economy as you're trying to defeat your opponent. That's not to say it's slow paced necessarily; it's just not supposed to be mindless action.

Agreed on the sense of the universe though. I first got into BT via that cheesy 90s animated show (which still isn't too bad! but maybe that's just me)

yeah OP you beat me to it nice post. :)

And pretty sure this will be my next KS purchase how can you turn down a Battletech remake from the original designer and Harebrained Schemes one of the best proponents of the Kickstarter way of funding , a match and game pretty much made in gaming heaven. :lol:

Charley_Deallus wrote:Will be getting my copy of Shadowrun: Hong Kong in a short time, so I will definitely keep an eye on this once I start playing it. Once a kickstarter is started, could someone make sure that it is made known here? :)

You know I might just do that. :thumbup:

Online Now