What a bunch of Negative Nancys there are in the Steam reviews!
I may yet end up agreeing with their conclusions, but I'll say that so far I'm appreciating the significant amount of game structure that's been added and I'm determined to give it a fair chance.
Feels like real solid effort went in to the launch version, rather than a lazy slap of an "It's done!" sticker on to the latest early access build.
Some random observations:
- boxes of dynamite can be unlocked early in the game, placed en masse, and set off in a glorious chain reaction of craters blown into the world
- placing props in free build mode is surprisingly painless.
There's a generous threshold for embedding them into blocks. They can be placed anywhere, even completely embedded in terrain!
- I swear warm gold paint wasn't nearly this pretty in EA. Blasting caves and then painting them gold has become one of my favourite goofing off activities.
- Yep, warm gold is definitely very awesome now!
- Spamming with the ice gun is pretty fun.