Return to “Games”

Re: LEGO® Worlds

My Uber-Checkerboard shall cast its mighty shadow on all the land. :twisted:

I'm looking for a better sky platform building method. Laying rows of 8 x 16 Flat Tile isn't bad, but I wonder if there is a faster way.
Spoiler:      SHOW

It measures 1000 x 500 studs now. Just a start, but I think I've got more checkerboard in me. :P
Image Image
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Underwater – Explore and build underwater. If you find yourself running out of air, try the sub or one of those characters that can breathe (or doesn’t need to breathe) underwater…
[...]
Map – Never get lost again, unless like us you can’t actually read a map... Anyway, you can’t miss it – it’s got some great features like adding and removing waypoints ( also appear as beams in the world) and different zoom levels. You can tune it up or turn it off too, and just have the beams – let us know how you use it.
[...]
Virtual Floor – We’ve added a new sub-feature to Brick Building and Tools. This option is an easy way to build in the air, or add detail to a specific layer, or to keep some of your hard work protected while you go crazy creatively. We also slipped in a ‘free’ related feature on the mouse that allows you to place individual bricks in free space at the cross-hair cursor, rather like when using a controller, without altering the way it works normally. [YEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!! Exactly the building aid I was wishing for! :D]
Hyped for the soon coming Update 2! :squirrel:

(they're also working on a new and improved Skybox, which sounds fantastic, but it seems it isn't gonna be in this update)

edit: Oh, and this may please you, NonBritGit:
Tracking Camera – We’ve added a new Camera Mode. This is a more rigid setup that requires the player to control rotation and distance a lot more, as opposed to the regular Chase Camera.
Last edited by Baile nam Fonn on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

They fixed prop placement [which was previously an enraging pain in the arse that almost always insisted that the props MUST float in the air] and didn't even mention it!!! :o :D :squirrel: :monkey:

..Oh yeah, Update 2 is out as of yesterday.
Underwater movement is a thing now so the submarine can feel good about itself at last.

[gripe]
[...] We also slipped in a ‘free’ related feature on the mouse that allows you to place individual bricks [as well as builds and props] in free space at the cross-hair cursor, rather like when using a controller, without altering the way it works normally.
Unfortunately, cross-hair cursor movement appears to yet lack a 'precision-tweak' speed --which it really should have! GRRR! :evil:

[/gripe]

...and minimap and nav beacons! Sweet!
The camera item seems to be a sort of tossed bone to the loud first-person-view lobbyists. :lol:

The days of hating props are a fast fading memory.

Update 3 solves one of my biggest encountered build tool problems without even mentioning it: adding virtual floor to build placement (yes Yes ALLOFMYYESUHHHHHYEAAAHHH!!!!).
And the map upgrade is very cool. Moar screenshots incoming!! :D :squirrel: :ghost:

**commencing happy dance**

*Looks at all posts here*

Now I want this :twisted:

*adds to wishlist on Steam*

But I has no money!! :cry:

By the way, is LEGO® Worlds an MMO? :think:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

..and online multiplayer is in beta branch. I haven't tried it out yet; the chatter in the Steam discussions indicates that it's still only cautious and shaky baby steps.

Yesterday I discovered:
  • a basic but situationally useful first person view
  • cheeky squirrels,
  • evasive cats,
  • bagpipes,
  • a paintball gun,
  • new bricks (sadly, the building UX has remained tedious),
  • a flying broomstick,
  • several types of zombies
  • surprisingly prevalent and varied NPC interaction with each other and the world,
  • a slightly improved questing system,
  • too many dragon eggs from chests,
  • various highly annoying vehicle sound effects (which prompted aggressive use of the bazooka),
  • an improved ride-able dragon with excellent animations and countryside burninating capability,
  • even better lighting and atmospheric visual effects
  • more ways to tank the framerate
  • a crash bug
The list is neither exhaustive nor in order, but it was an engaging time sink and encourages me to hope for more and offer a :thumbup: to the devs.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:UX
User Xinterface?

:think:
yep, you got it. :ghost:

edit, to expand on my criticism:
Quality of life isn't .. satisfactory.. yet.
Virtual floor to bound your building area was a step forward, but not far enough, imho. Bounding walls and ceiling I would use happily.
Painting and brick colours, aggravating. Too few choices, and arbitrarily omitted painting options from brick colour selection, and vice versa.
Prop placing is too many clicks away from building, and I'd particularly like to be able to quickly place directional lighting props.
Cursor movement is too floaty, with no toggle to reliably tick the cursor or selection in single stud increments --my OCD hates this!
And returning your character to adventuring mode is unreasonably dangerous if you're building up high: too easy to un-levitate into a fall.
TL;DR the interface has been worked on, but it's still bad.

Notwithstanding, I've spent hours and hours creating & selectively destroying in this game (little to show for it :oops:), and I liked it. :squirrel:
Image http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =706062822

Oh, and check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7g-TdanqZk
Water is still builder's bane, but exploring the deep in the submarine with its headlamps and this music is almost overwhelming.

Online Now