Return to “Games”

LEGO® Worlds

Vast swathes of procedural terrain, entirely composed of legos, ripe for exploration, destruction, and mega-projects. :mrgreen:

Read the above sentence once more, if you please.

Now check out the Steam Early Access store page.

There are warts. Brick-building mode and especially Prop manipulation need improvement.
Nevertheless, my childish delight with this new Minecraft-y sandbox is nearly equal to that of Nerdcubed. :squirrel:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell
Re: LEGO® Worlds

I was equally excited for this and bought two copies, one for myself and my son. GAWD, is building a nightmare in this game. When most players recommend doing your actual building in another program (Lego Digital Designer) and then importing it back into LW, you know it's very, very bad.

Last I played, I spend 15 minutes trying to build a lego stairs (four steps!) up to a beach hut to get at a chest. Gawd, those were some shitty stairs.

I'm hoping, rather than reinventing the (lego) wheel, they take hints from the myriad other block building games out there that actually got it right. Then, I'll give it another shot. Until then, it's an exercise in frustration I don't need.

Spoiler:      SHOW
I don't know how to hide the UI for screenshots. :problem:

I'm 10 hours in, and I've settled in my mind that I prefer creating over exploring (no, I haven't collected even half of everything yet, although I did find the bazooka and the pick-axe),
despite the fact that the building tools range from infuriating to fiddly to tedious (NonBritGit's scathing commentary is not wholly undeserved).

I have a Batcave --started at least.
And I'm currently working on an ice sculpture. Ice & lava look pretty good, I gotta say. :squirrel:

I'm also flirting with the notion of picking up my DF mapping project again, but this time using Lego Worlds as my medium. :D

Baile nam Fonn wrote:I'm also flirting with the notion of picking up my DF mapping project again, but this time using Lego Worlds as my medium. :D
You mean like cocaine-flavoured heroin?
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:I'm also flirting with the notion of picking up my DF mapping project again, but this time using Lego Worlds as my medium. :D
You mean like cocaine-flavoured heroin?
Yep! :squirrel: --I mean, uhhherr.. :shh:

HowSerendipitous wrote:I find myself intrigued.

Does it receive your seal of approval? :squirrel:
If it goes the way of some early access titles trainwreckstyle or shipsunkstyle I may regret this later, but..

Yes, there's enough good here already.
I'ma Seal of Approve with cautionary note: Early Access, bugs happen, gaping feature holes exist which may never be filled. :thumbup:

This game often produces the urge to take screenshots, I've found. :squirrel:
In the (continuing, grr!) absence of a steamroller, I resort to laying a yellow brick road with the terrain painter.
Which is probably a faster way to pave the sea, but a little less fun.
Paving the sea between islands, btw, is currently the best way to not get lost.
The troll club is a fun weapon, visually. It's so big that my character must have had a bad day dragging it around. :lol:
See the monkey swimming? What a cutey. :monkey:
Image One more, if I may? (spoilered this time).. :P

How are you guys finding the motion sickness? I swear I can't play the game for more than about 20 mins and I'm sick the rest of the morning. I'm using windowed mode and have turned off everything they say to turn off. Still no dice. It's the over-stylized camera motion that does it. It's constantly moving around every second you're playing. Lord give me a setting where the camera sticks to one place over your shoulder and let's you just play the game without trying to be like a lego movie.

I don't get motion sickness from games, played too much Starlancer as a kid, so have built up an immunity to it. :D

The game itself could do with some massive control and optimization overhauls, but it's reasonably interesting, and has good potential.
I would give it a 5/10, Minecraft would only get a 7/10 from me now so it's not that bad.

It's graphically gorgeous sometimes, has some shit tools that can build some awesome things, but the lack of multiplayer really hits home.
I *NEEDS* small scale multiplayer, the point of Lego was always to build, but really is only good if you have someone to build with.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now