Return to “Games”

EVE Online

Because we don't have an EVE topic yet... which is surprising, considering this is a forum for a game partially based on EVE. :P I suppose part of it could be chalked up to "Eh, it's an online game and we don't like online games", but come on - we have Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen threads, and they're some of the busiest here! EVE looks pretty awesome anyway:
Image I'd wanted to give it a try for a while now, and thanks to Cornflakes (or Silverware, can't remember which), I have a 30-day trial. We have an org up, too. Only has five members so far, but we'll see where it goes. :)

So, let's hear some awesome EVE stories! :) I'll post one of my own a little later. It's one of those, "Remember that time when Talv did this really stupid thing..." things. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: EVE Online

I downloaded the game, first thing research takes like forever, no matter of even hours but days/weeks. Went exploring got blown up by another player, went back to another area blown up by a suicide ship, hit start, program files, delete.

Oh well, we discussed a little about EVE in the Valkyrie topic :D

I've read 3 books, played my 3 weeks trial and watched my bro play seriously a little bit. I just say that isn't 100% my cup of tea. I like the premise, the background and how all works... but after 3 weeks playing the thing I couldn't enjoy it much. It was more like a second job than anything else and since the whole point of it (joining a corp and play for greater things) isn't for me... I dropped it. :ghost:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Been playing since Sunday.

Got up to 35m by yesterday because of the market.

Logged on this morning to be down to 8m. Guess my 'luck' caught up to me. :(

I like it. It feels more 'mature' and once you figure out those career missions, the starting learning curve is much easier.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Kambalo wrote:I downloaded the game, first thing research takes like forever, no matter of even hours but days/weeks.
The lower level stuff only takes hours, assuming you ment skilling :roll:

Also: are there any MMO games that have any kind of long time motivation which dont take days or weeks of skilling?
Kambalo wrote: Went exploring got blown up by another player, went back to another area blown up by a suicide ship, hit start, program files, delete.
"Oh look! Mad Max like Badlands! Lets poke around there without proper equipment, knowledge, skills or backup! And get totally pissed when it blows into my face!"

:roll:

Yes, eve is harsh and everything that is possible is allowed (except scamming people about their login data), so everything that can happen will happen.

Dont expect any kind of handholding or cuddling in eve.
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I only died during the tutorial part which were meant to be exactly that. Staying in +0.5 systems and don't doing PvE missions difficult beyond reason helped a lot, of course. I divided my trial time in mining, doing combat/courier/merchant missions and little more. I liked the skilling system and the whole premise. I didn't want to play more because I was well aware what would be like and I didn't want to make the time+money investment. The game per se is good enough and, like I said, I like the universe as a whole very much.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Wait, what game does it remind me of?

Ragnarok Online!

Back before wikis and FAQs, you had to explore on your own and be careful of your own risks. Since assets weren't cheap, a more powerful, many-level-higher than you monster may look the same except for color changes to a very easily-killed monster. If you didn't know, you'd poke at it and get one-shot.

Maybe I'm just old-skool like that. It's definitely a different mindset from an era in games long past.

Vengeance is much more unforgiving.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I played EVE for well over two years.

And played it completely wrong the whole time.

I did precisely two things in EVE:

1. Mine basic materials in high-sec space.
2. Level up while offline.

This completely missed the point of EVE Online, which is that you have to engage with other people. Unlike other MMORPGs, EVE offers virtually nothing to the soloer. If you don't actively run or serve in a corp, and you don't use the power of the corp against other people, you'll never see what makes EVE EVE.

That said, I remain astonished that more developers don't make subscription-based games with offline skill leveling. Think about the diabolical beauty of that design: people will actually pay you to log in only for as long as it takes to choose a new skill to train. The rest of the time they are giving you money while using none of your server bandwidth.

Get enough people paying to play just the offline skill leveling part of your game, and you can afford to make content for the smaller number of people who actually log in to play a game.

I stopped playing EVE because I didn't want to be tied to a corp. But I remain awed by their funding mechanic. :)

Yeah, I have had my share of ups and downs in EVE.
It's an amazing game if you find some friends, and get a corp going, and is even more amazing when you finally stop being afraid of loss and go balls-to-the-walls.
But I often get bored of it after a month and head off to somewhere else when I don't have people I know/like online.

I have lost more Harbingers to stupid actions than I care to admit, and NEARLY lost a Passive Shield Fit Drake to a simple disconnect once (Back when Drakes were the king of Passive Shield Fits)

But overall, it's the story about you making a story out of EVE. It can feel like a second job when you aren't willing to spend money on your sub, but the offline skilling sure does help. It lets you get your account worth playing without having to be online every day.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Ah, an Eve Online topic. Many times have a tried, I always ended up as a loner, mostly trading (quite successfully). I just really don't like using teamspeak and the like. And, probably like everybody else, learned the hard way that you should never fly anything you cannot affort to lose. I should still have something close to a billion isks on that old, inactive account. Hmmm ...
You cannot not communicate.
Paul Watzlawick - 1st Axiom

charnode wrote: you should never fly anything you cannot affort to lose.
The one true rule in EVE. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Online Now