Return to “Games”

Re: EVE Online

So here's some news: Pearl Abyss, the developer of Black Desert Online (the game with the insanely pretty character appearance creator), has announced it's buying EVE Online developer CCP Games for $425M.

In theory CCP's development of EVE will remain under their control. We'll see.

I personally can't help but suspect that CCP's purchase of the White Wolf RPG developer and the millions they spent throwing money down the rathole of trying to make an MMORPG out of it -- before finally selling it all off not too long ago -- might have contributed to this decision.

I think I heard some murmurings about this a couple months ago. I'm not invested in EVE (I think I have two accounts that never even flown destroyers), but I hope the new management doesn't drive the game into the ground like so many other acquisitions have. EVE's done really well, struck a formula that works, and it'd be a shame to throw that away.

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm
I know Baile at least is a big fan of Black Desert Online. I've considered looking into it.
Guilty as charged, if by 'big fan' you mean 'plays obsessively'. I'm heavily addicted to sneering at and deftly dodging all of the game's grasping attempts at my wallet. :squirrel:
However, I would be wary of applauding this acquisition since Pearl Abyss has a well-deserved reputation for shoveling greedy business move upon greedy business move.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:32 am
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm
I know Baile at least is a big fan of Black Desert Online. I've considered looking into it.
Guilty as charged, if by 'big fan' you mean 'plays obsessively'. I'm heavily addicted to sneering at and deftly dodging all of the game's grasping attempts at my wallet. :squirrel:
However, I would be wary of applauding this acquisition since Pearl Abyss has a well-deserved reputation for shoveling greedy business move upon greedy business move.
Well, if "EvE is dying!!!!" for real this time it would be interesting to see if anything rises to fill the vacuum

I have been actively playing Eve for the last half a year, running a WH corp of a few dozen people. My credentials: https://zkillboard.com/corporation/98562012/ (CEO: Highscore Triggerhappy )

Since the purchase, nothing major has changed. CCP went through on their plans to add Abyssal Space and Triglavian ships ( both new and original additions with very interesting mechanics ) and, after the smashing success of the new ships, recently added a few more.

For those interested:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Triglavian ships have unique flavor to them. Each has bonuses to energy neutralizers, remote armor reps, and wield a single weapon each. The weapon warms up as it fires on a single target, starting off with very weak DPS and, after a time, warming up to be one of the most hardhitting weapons in the game. However if the beam is interrupted ( target destroyed, flies out of range, of the ship is jammed) the damage resets back to 0. The other bonuses ( to neuting and reps ) mean that these ships can rep each-other in groups, or apply a lot of capacitor warfare solo. Overall, a very interesting mechanic.

With the release a few days ago, a logistics ship of the same race was added, with the remote repair module using the same mechanics as the weapon. It remains to be seen how well it works out.
CCP also added new sov space navigation structures, the Uwpell cyno beacon, cyno jammer, and jump gate.

No new additional payed features were added. Structure skins are coming later this winter, but everyone seems to be happy about that ( cause everyone wants their keepstar to be pink ).

In other eve news, Goons invaded WH space and took down Hard Knock's keepstar ( named Fort Fnocks ). It was not a good fight, the goons brought 100x more people than a WH corp could ever field. However, the defenders self-destructed all assets so the invaders would not get anything, and filled all the loot hangars with 1 capacitor booster. I would say they got the last word in. Killmail: https://zkillboard.com/kill/73971933/

Woah bumping this dead thread up somethin fierce.

I recently made a Corp in EVE with cuisinart8 as EVE seems to be a decent thing to sink time into atm even for a free player.
So if anybody would like to join it it's pretty much an LT Corporation and everybody from here is welcome, just message me or cui on Discord/IRC and we'll inv you.

EmpressLexi wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:02 pm
Woah bumping this dead thread up somethin fierce.

I recently made a Corp in EVE with cuisinart8 as EVE seems to be a decent thing to sink time into atm even for a free player.
So if anybody would like to join it it's pretty much an LT Corporation and everybody from here is welcome, just message me or cui on Discord/IRC and we'll inv you.
Cool.
This is me:
https://zkillboard.com/character/1239374557/

I'll be in touch when I get back to Eve, it will be more so in the winter months.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now