Return to “Games”

Re: EVE Online

So here's some news: Pearl Abyss, the developer of Black Desert Online (the game with the insanely pretty character appearance creator), has announced it's buying EVE Online developer CCP Games for $425M.

In theory CCP's development of EVE will remain under their control. We'll see.

I personally can't help but suspect that CCP's purchase of the White Wolf RPG developer and the millions they spent throwing money down the rathole of trying to make an MMORPG out of it -- before finally selling it all off not too long ago -- might have contributed to this decision.

I think I heard some murmurings about this a couple months ago. I'm not invested in EVE (I think I have two accounts that never even flown destroyers), but I hope the new management doesn't drive the game into the ground like so many other acquisitions have. EVE's done really well, struck a formula that works, and it'd be a shame to throw that away.

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm
I know Baile at least is a big fan of Black Desert Online. I've considered looking into it.
Guilty as charged, if by 'big fan' you mean 'plays obsessively'. I'm heavily addicted to sneering at and deftly dodging all of the game's grasping attempts at my wallet. :squirrel:
However, I would be wary of applauding this acquisition since Pearl Abyss has a well-deserved reputation for shoveling greedy business move upon greedy business move.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:32 am
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 pm
I know Baile at least is a big fan of Black Desert Online. I've considered looking into it.
Guilty as charged, if by 'big fan' you mean 'plays obsessively'. I'm heavily addicted to sneering at and deftly dodging all of the game's grasping attempts at my wallet. :squirrel:
However, I would be wary of applauding this acquisition since Pearl Abyss has a well-deserved reputation for shoveling greedy business move upon greedy business move.
Well, if "EvE is dying!!!!" for real this time it would be interesting to see if anything rises to fill the vacuum

Online Now