Rogue Like
Total votes: 14 (54%)
Cardgame
Total votes: 5 (19%)
Traffic Management
Total votes: 7 (27%)
Total votes: 26
Re: Backseat Game Development!

You play as a humble lurker, called forth from your humble spot on the Internets as the LT Forums tremble before a massive, evil beast - the Joshlack. Raise your post count/health bar, fight your way through the miry swamp of General Board, or spend some time in the large yet cozy city of Trains as you try to recuperate from your battles. You need to battle Abandonites and spambots - and worse, bosses such as Cornflakes and Dinosawer and Cha0zz, on your way to become the ultimate posting warrior. And then, when you finally defeat the gods mods themselves, you can find the lair of the evil Joshlack. Increasing your reputation gives you better standing among forumites and you can make friends along the way to gather together a small party of fellow forumites as you trace the evil Joshlack back down to his evil lair and rout him so that the sunlight - and Josh - can return.

The HowSerendipitous monster has an army of evil squirrels that you need to defeat.
And the Idunno monster - ghosts everywhere. Also - he has redundancies - OF DOOM (and pylons)
Cornflakes' constant suggestions bombard you from all sides, making him difficult to approach

You have to go back in time at one point and resurrect the fallen god, Thymine, as an optional sidequest. It helps keep the Joshlack from breeding, making the final battle a little easier.
This story is good an well, however I am bothered in thinking about how such a story could be presented in a graphical form.

Because I want to see this game move forward. I suggest we go for an art style that looks very... Technologic?

Reference Material:
Cool light
Tron City

Pretty much my idea is to take late 80's/early 90's throw in daft punk and mix it with a hearty serving of Tron and whatever else looks good with it. Then we Got our selves a game ladies and gentlemen!

Concepts to come.
:D

BMRX has a nice idea there, that would work very well for the general Aesthetic.
Don't forget to vote for things you think will work, simply quoting the idea, and posting +1 with that is enough for me.

But votes are required.

I will start typing up some Google Documentation for this today.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

BMRX wrote: This story is good an well, however I am bothered in thinking about how such a story could be presented in a graphical form.

Because I want to see this game move forward. I suggest we go for an art style that looks very... Technologic?

Reference Material:
Cool light
Tron City

Pretty much my idea is to take late 80's/early 90's throw in daft punk and mix it with a hearty serving of Tron and whatever else looks good with it. Then we Got our selves a game ladies and gentlemen!

Concepts to come.
+1

This story is good an well, however I am bothered in thinking about how such a story could be presented in a graphical form.

Reference Material:
Cool light
Tron City

Concepts to come.
+1
Edit:oh wow only just noticed that I messed up with the quotes :ghost:
Last edited by Jetison333 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

The Future is Neon!
(Does that mean people will want Neon-Nazis?)

So we will need some art assets to add into the game.
A player sprite might be a good start (even just a rough one) so we can start building the world around that.

We also need to decide upon movement, although it seems we have chosen a player skill based world.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I'm surprised my Idea flew!

So as we are still trying to work out core game mechanics I'll just start writing things and edit it (maybe) until it all makes sense.

As we are trying to create a roguelike of sorts. Great inspiration and excitement was drawn from how the Cinder prototype worked/felt.

At the time, that small demo held a few basic features. Combat not really being one of them. I have not played too many roguelikes and I'm not really sure on what the rules are.... (google searching)
Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games, characterized by procedural level generation, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, permanent death of the player-character, and typically based on a high fantasy narrative setting.
So we have our Narrative setting, we know that we will be using tiled-based graphics, I expected perma-death (and have an idea on that later), really outside of that there does not seem to be too many rules for a Roguelike so lets move onto what we can do with that.

I saw someone suggest realtime combat, I can see this working pretty well if we stick to how Cinder looked I can see it still being actively fun. (Especially dat line of sight shading, damn that was slick)

I also enjoyed how a Enemies location was sort of revealed to the character in the form of a question mark. (though the question mark was spot on it's a good start)

So if we had enemies move about in real time with what is more or less their location revealed to the player when the enemy is not in line of sight hopefully this will bring about a rather exciting dynamic between player and whatever the heck is in the next room.

So what sort of rules should be in place for real time combat? Well I think the player should not be able to out-run difficult monsters for one. In fact, giving the difficult monsters a higher speed than the player might be a good idea. This hopefully will force the player to think before diving into combat. (Or force them into combat)

What sort of combat abilities should there be?

I assume we will have our staples (melee, ranged) we will have stats associated with this abilities?

If we stick with realtime combat that focuses mostly on the Players ability to think instead of the epic spells they have we might be onto something.

Focusing on ranged and melee combat there are some things that need to be determined.

Melee:
Quick Attacks - Constant, limited only if stunned
Basic damage
Power attacks - Limited by resource or Cooldown
Basic damage + [insert determining power attack factor here, I assume str skill/stat] | Chance to stun
Blocking - Constant, limited if stunned
Does not negate all damage, portion of damage negated should be determined when it's time to balance.

Ranged:
Shoot - Constant, no ammo restriction
Basic Damage
Trap - Limited by resource or Cooldown
Can be a stun or Damage (DoT maybe?)
Stealth/Smoke bomb - Limited by resource or Cooldown
A way for players to escape due to lack of blocking, would last a few seconds. Enough to get out of enemy line of sight.

I feel like the Ranged should have more but the Trap and stealth is quite versatile and should make up for lack of damage taking and power attack.

Now should these be classes? Or should we let players play the way they want at any time?

I like the later, classes are lame.

So how do we stop players from taking advantage of both these play styles? We don't, instead make it risky as all hell to think about swapping weapons inside of a dungeon let alone in combat. (Maybe make a weapon swap cool down)

Here is how it would work:

If you have a melee weapon equipped you gain the melee skills on your hotkeys (or whatever), if you have a ranged weapon equipped, you gain the ranged skills. It will not be possible to have all those abilities at once it depends on the weapon type you have equipped.

Now lets talk about Monsters.

Monsters/Enemies make up the bread and butter of most video games. It's expected, and in a roguelike is pretty much needed.

Because this is realtime combat we are thinking about AI in a different way. Not only will the AI have to have some sort of situational awareness they also will need to have some sort self preservation.

Thinking about AI, programming AI, talking about AI, are hard subjects. They truly are, when you get down to it you find your self in a different mind state. You need to think of things that people take for granted.

If you are getting shot at, you would hide behind something right? AI wont, not unless you instructed them to do so. Implementing that sort of instruction is... Frustrating. Which brings me to another point. Why do we call it AI? It's not AI, it's not even close, really we need a new thing to call AI. Because true Artificial Intelligence is not what we think it is. AI is actually SI for Stupid Intelligence, it's intelligent because it understands what you tell it to do, but it's stupid because it can't think for it's self. /endrant

So, we need monsters that can translate the environment around it, move freely within it (while paying attention to the rules that the player must abide), and then use that data to make combat decisions. Now I'm thinking a bit more complicated than what might have to happen here but its interesting.

Because I'm not too familiar with what Silverware is working with and also I'm not too familiar with making 2D games. I can assume that Silverware would use something similar to a Navigation Mesh... Which is what I use for my games, gives my NPC's complete freedom over where they can move. (unity ftw)

However, I assume that what is more likely is that Silver will use what is known as the A* algorithm for all our pathfinding needs!

(Yes, AI pathfinding is a big deal. This is something that should not be taken lightly.)

The only problem I see with using A* is that the AI will have to calculate it's next movement ALOT. It's a small thing to do, and this game will probably handle it. But what if we had a large dungeon with about 100 enemies in it. All calculating their next move, performance wise I can see it really causing someones PC a bit of a lag issue.

However, lets pretend we have worked out pathfinding and it's quite efficient and we have no worries. Well now what? Obviously we want these now mobile beings to be ready to attack right?

Absolutely, however lets put a spin on things.

Enemies that are a way lower level than the player should run in fear... To the bigger tougher enemies. (Hopefully luring each player at least once to their death. We should remember that even though we are playing a game and with no one else, our opponent is the game it's self. Because death is permanent obviously the game is going to try fairly hard to kill you.)

Speaking about Enemies that run in fear, should enemies take a certain amount of damage before retreating to find backup? Woah, that just helped me with my AI problem I think...

Code: Select all

if hp <= %15;
scan scene for closest enemies (spherecast please and thankyou);
FriendlyFriendemies = closest enemy transform.position;
NavigationAgent.Destination = FriendlyFriendemies;
^ That's for me, for later.... Nvm...

Should we have some Enemies work in a squad? Squads could be our "elite" mobs to kill. Something you see just before a boss fight?

Will bosses be a scripted instance? Sure having bosses that react different every time sounds cool... But is it fun?

Will the enemies have extra special abilities only for them? How will the player combat it?

The talk on Enemies is obviously going to take a bit more than just one person's suggestions but you can see where I'm going with this I hope.

Now that I'm done talking about combat, lets talk about more things.

Players like to see and feel like they have achieved something in their game. Sure, playing a roguelike and still being on your first game is pretty impressive. But us as players like more. How about giving them the ability to sell their trash loot at a homebase/town/random merchant/whatever. Thus creating the need for currency which is another thing to earn while killing things! :D Yay.

So what would be the point of earning this currency? Well, players need potions, gear, town portal scrolls, and of course fancy hats (more on fancy hats later), in game friendly NPC's need hookers and blow, so we got each other covered. Supply, demand. What do you know?

Notice how I said players need to buy gear. Yes they do john, because relying on magical epic gear to drop from a monster that is actually in good condition and battle ready is silly. Instead, save a lot of gold and buy that custom sword from Cornflakes the perverted blacksmith he is a thinker and makes some of the best enchanted weapons ever seen this side of the internet! He makes potions in his basement and has the ability to fold the fanciest of napkins. (A great dinner guest)

So yeah, make the players struggle in the dungeons to buy the gear that would have helped in the last floor of the dungeon they just did... Which makes going back and forth from a homebase kind of fun. It's gotta be worth it man.

Perma death!

So I said I had an idea for Perma death, and I do! I dunno if this has been done before and nor do I claim originality on that.

Dying in a roguelike sucks, like it really sucks. However, what if we made it so that it still sucked but had a benefit? Rogue legacy had a neat way of doing it, which is children. Children are sweet, they are the future of the world you know.

So, when you die your child takes your place. Savvy? Okay, well did dear old dad/mom/other leave anything for the little sucker to do battle with? Hell yeah he/she/himher did! Just not what you might think. Here the player will have the option to gain back some of their old glory from their last play through. Now of course we don't want this to be in complete favor of the player so instead of getting your old gear back or some of your gear back or your old exp back... Instead, you'll eventually stumble across your dead parent's grave... Inside it will be your parent's old weapon which with the death of a master and the handing off to another of blood relation has gained some sort of epic enchantment (Vampiric Bow of [insert parent's name] - Lifesteal) or a really, really, lame one (Lifesteal Bow of [insert parent's name here] - Weapon steals hp from player every successful enemy hit) Which will lead to a trap and have a buck-tonne of monsters come at you or something else extremely frustrating.

Ok I'm done for now, I feel like watching more Star Wars. I'll be back.
:D

Online Now