Return to “Games”

Re: Fallout 4

Not to sound like a spoiled brat, but I was kinda hoping for TESVI. Yes, I know the Bethesda dev cycle indicates Fallout 4 first, then the next TES. But aah, the wait!

Still, I don't think we'll have to wait longer just because of ESO, that's got nothing to do with Bethesda development schedules after all.
old-fashioned :ghost:

Dinosawer wrote:
RaryCaboodles wrote:FALLOUT 4 OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED!!!!!! http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-announced/
For some values of official, but yes.
Yeah, I should have put "officially."
Zanteogo wrote:Hmm... The video was somewhat unimpressive.

It's was ok...but nothing that made me go "wow!"
I agree about the video. I'm sure they will have a lot more to share at E3.
"Music is enough for a whole lifetime--but a lifetime is not enough for music."--Sergei Rachmaninoff

fox wrote:As for FO4 perhaps using a completely new engine... I am on the fence on this.
On one hand they have the capable Creation engine free-of-charge already. Why spend money on a new license? On the other hand they also have the HeroEngine they used for TESO. That makes 2 valid engines at their disposal.
FWIW, HeroEngine was used only for prototyping TESO. It's not the engine powering the actual game. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... ngine.aspx

(Note: I was active on the Simutronics boards when the game that led to the creation of what would become HeroEngine was being developed. So I've followed its use a bit since then.)

I expect FO4 is once again using an enhanced version of the Gamebryo engine, just as Valve has used ever-improving versions of the Source engine.

It'll be using the Creation Engine, which is what Bethesda used for Skyrim, Which is based on Gamebryo.

It looks like I was wrong about engine improvements though. It's looking FARKING good.
Broke my brain this morning.

Expectations from the trailer:

20 years after the nukes fall (2097) : Dog sniffing baby crib, references to prewar.
Customizable Power Armor : Power armor dog sniffs, plus power armor on the FO cover on FB.
GRAPHICS : Holy bloody god, they look good. That looks to be all in-game level of graphics to me. Beth dont usually do anything less.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Flatfingers wrote:
fox wrote:As for FO4 perhaps using a completely new engine... I am on the fence on this.
On one hand they have the capable Creation engine free-of-charge already. Why spend money on a new license? On the other hand they also have the HeroEngine they used for TESO. That makes 2 valid engines at their disposal.
FWIW, HeroEngine was used only for prototyping TESO. It's not the engine powering the actual game. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... ngine.aspx
I stand corrected.
But I am certain to have seen a 'powered by hero engine' credit logo somewhere inside TESO at some point. Memory rarely fails me this blatantly -- can you elaborate?

-----

Glad to see I am not the only one who was not impressed by the trailer. For a moment I thought I was the odd man out of the group. Maybe it is the textures. Most looked too clean for the setting. But it is only a movie, okay.
The dog could use a better walk animation, though.

I like how it's a throwback to Fallout 1 with the logo and all. It all got atmosphere, and by the looks of it, it will feel like post apocalypse; not like Romania, present day, with added brown brown deserts.
I refuse to get hyped though - Bethesda just really fell so flat with Skyrim for me. It's not an RPG, it's a power fantasy with no meaningful choices or character diversification, and I'm afraid it will be the same here. Linear, meaningless quests, skills consisting of 'do more damage', and insert-yourself omnicharcters with no customization, personality within interactions, or importance of choice. Plus the fact that they require fans to make their game good from mediocre.

I'm not at all in awe from the graphics. The pristine scenes are like pastel dollhouses, and the dog-human interaction is especially jarringly dated. Gamebryo just should be buried at this point, way too limited and just gets dragged along for another ride. Video (which is supposed to be the cinematic hype machine) makes me think of an Oblivion mod.
panic

fox wrote:I am certain to have seen a 'powered by hero engine' credit logo somewhere inside TESO at some point. Memory rarely fails me this blatantly -- can you elaborate?
I haven't played TESO myself, but I understand that the HeroEngine reference is there in the credits, but presumably only to reflect that it was used during the prototyping phase. You're definitely not the only TESO player to wonder about that credit, though. ;)

Personally, what I noticed first about that trailer is that it completely removes any post-processing colorization compared to Fallout 3, and, to a lesser extent, Fallout: New Vegas. That green tint from F3 didn't bother me too much as I could explain it as a radiation remnant... but I'll admit that it's sort of nice not to see it in F4.
Gazz wrote:...and I bet it will sell. =P
It will sell like gold-plated hotcakes that include a terabyte of fast storage and whiten your teeth while you sleep.

Actually, better than that, probably.

Online Now