Return to “Games”

Re: XCom 2

That is one thing I don't understand about the game so far. Why does it eat up so much RAM? Sure the game looks nice, and strategy games do usually use up more than other types of games, but I have never actually used over 6-8gb on a single program before. Plus the only mods I had were voice mods around 100mb apiece (which are now cut down by half because they all came with an unneeded file the mod tool puts on all mods that isn't actually required for voice mods) and a few armor mods, and I started crashing.

I mean, you can mod skyrim to hell and back with amazing graphics mods, DLC sized new areas, or hundreds of little mods that add/tweak stuff on a 32bit game, yet I only have maybe 15 mods (mostly voice) on Xcom 2 which is 64bit and its eating up all 12gb of RAM? :evil:

Sorry for the bit of a rant there, but I don't understand how that works at all, and its making my modded playthroughs 50/50 crash or not on the return to base screen, and it makes me not want to play until its fixed.

MrPerson wrote:That is one thing I don't understand about the game so far. Why does it eat up so much RAM? Sure the game looks nice, and strategy games do usually use up more than other types of games, but I have never actually used over 6-8gb on a single program before. Plus the only mods I had were voice mods around 100mb apiece (which are now cut down by half because they all came with an unneeded file the mod tool puts on all mods that isn't actually required for voice mods) and a few armor mods, and I started crashing.

I mean, you can mod skyrim to hell and back with amazing graphics mods, DLC sized new areas, or hundreds of little mods that add/tweak stuff on a 32bit game, yet I only have maybe 15 mods (mostly voice) on Xcom 2 which is 64bit and its eating up all 12gb of RAM? :evil:

Sorry for the bit of a rant there, but I don't understand how that works at all, and its making my modded playthroughs 50/50 crash or not on the return to base screen, and it makes me not want to play until its fixed.
They screwed something up royally. It's not an uncontrolled leak, like MGSV had at launch, it's just terrible housekeeping, I guess.
panic

Silverware wrote:I think they keep most of the game in RAM rather than on disk.
:3
I wish, but the loading times are crap too :D

PSA: If you have a beefy machine, press Caps Lock on loading screens. This is a developer option to offload processes to parallel threads instead of linear loading optimized for weaker systems, you can benefit from it dramatically.
panic

Mistycica wrote:

PSA: If you have a beefy machine, press Caps Lock on loading screens. This is a developer option to offload processes to parallel threads instead of linear loading optimized for weaker systems, you can benefit from it dramatically.
It also pauses rendering, and in doing so if the game fails to load before a set time limit the game crashes to desktop. :3
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Mistycica wrote:

It also pauses rendering, and in doing so if the game fails to load before a set time limit the game crashes to desktop. :3
Fun! That's what I mean by a beefy machine. Mine works well enough. What's up with the emoticon spam btw, did I miss something? Used to be :v
panic

You did miss something. :3
I got bored of :V on the IRC and switch to a new one. :P
Much like random words I select new random Emoticons sometimes. xD
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

The first DLC, Anarchy's Children, hits in about a week. It's a cosmetic pack with over 100 new options altogether: post-ac-esque raider gear, fancy hat, leather vest, skull mask, goggles, new face paints, weird hair, and hell knows what more awaits. Reinforcement Pack owners receive it as they have already paid for it, for anyone jumping on the train now, it's five buckarinos.

A patch containing performance and gameplay fixes is also announced.
panic

wizaerd wrote:If they remove all the timers and turn limits, I might play it, but otherwise, no...
So basically you want to cheat the experience?
Go grab a mod, there are plenty of mods that do this sort of thing to different degrees, including removing them altogether.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now