Return to “Games”

Re: XCom 2

Mistycica wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:
Mistycica wrote: One thing that ticked me off mildly was that those god damn Advent are just so suicidal. Last enemy of the map, two health. Instead of flanking or anything, he moves onto the other side of the car I've been camping behind, lobs grenade, and the car explodes on the same turn. He died of course, but unfortunately so did my top Ranger. I was salty :V Timers are still fine though for my playstyle.
Stun lancers, they carry a gun for some reason, but never, ever use it. They will always run straight towards the closest unit and melee. They win the suicide reward.
Yeah, they are almost as bad as Chryssalids and launching Floaters were. But I have seen them using their guns a couple of times actually. They just prefer beating people up I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also realized why the music was vaguely familiar for more than one reason: Tim Wynn composed it, who also did part of the musical score for a game similar in theme.
I KNEW IT! I KNEW I RECOGNIZED IT FROM SOMEWHERE!
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Finished the game for the first time today!

Going to bump up the diffcultly level tomorrow and give it another go.

Few things I learned:

Early game is all about soilder survial. You are actually better off having a failed mission rather than losing more than one person. Leveling is the key here, the last two promotion pretty much hold near game breaking abilities for most classes. You need units with these once the advanced stuff shows up. Plus anything not promoted 3 times will be in panic at the slightest graze.

Time missions generally suck. (unless you mod them) I know I complained about this one earlier, but damn. They need a increase based on diffcultly level I think. (something like +4,+3,+2, 0) I added +4 to mine with a mod, but found it too much. (+2 would be perfect) The layout doen't allow for a dash attack aproach to these things. (attacking while moving towards your objective) Not without causing most of your squad to be slaughtered.

Snipers are the weakest class. Other than they have limited use on timed missions. (if I didn't mod mine, I would say they have zero use), they are almost always better off as something else. They do sometimes pick off units, and you can scout out with rangers and attack from a safe distance. However, I found other units just did more, more often. The kill zone ability seems good, but more often I end up missing every attack using it. It seems you pretty much need an enemy out of cover to hit it at any real distance. One mission I had a cool tower in the corner at the start and lots of wide open area. I stuck my sniper up top and by the time I ran into aliens, I was getting 15% hit chances. (it seemed I was getting a -40% squadsight penility?)
My Signature

I am stuck on the last mission at the moment, its so freakin hard, they keep bringing in more and more reinforcements and I end up getting overrun :x

I disagree with snipers being worst class. My sniper with dragon rounds can one shot nearly any alien in the end game, or take a huge chunk off of a sectopod's HP. That, and if you get the "Faceoff" ability its really good for clearing cloned codex. I killed 6 of them in 1 use of faceoff which saved me from having to use an explosive or use my entire squad to shoot at each one. The lightning hands ability is also very useful for picking off low health units not worth a full shot.

MrPerson wrote:I am stuck on the last mission at the moment, its so freakin hard, they keep bringing in more and more reinforcements and I end up getting overrun :x

I disagree with snipers being worst class. My sniper with dragon rounds can one shot nearly any alien in the end game, or take a huge chunk off of a sectopod's HP. That, and if you get the "Faceoff" ability its really good for clearing cloned codex. I killed 6 of them in 1 use of faceoff which saved me from having to use an explosive or use my entire squad to shoot at each one. The lightning hands ability is also very useful for picking off low health units not worth a full shot.
Snipers are one of the better classes, but do rely on good positioning.
A well placed and used sniper can reduce entire pods to zero in one turn.

The final mission is retardedly hard, and I find that you need multiple PSI ops with dominate, and to capture any spawned gatekeepers.
Then you can use the gatekeepers to mop up the regular Ayys, and your soldiers to explode the Avatards.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
MrPerson wrote:I am stuck on the last mission at the moment, its so freakin hard, they keep bringing in more and more reinforcements and I end up getting overrun :x

The final mission is retardedly hard, and I find that you need multiple PSI ops with dominate, and to capture any spawned gatekeepers.
Then you can use the gatekeepers to mop up the regular Ayys, and your soldiers to explode the Avatards.
well that could be a problem for me lol, I only had the 1 psi trooper and it was only the first rank, so that option is out the window for me lol

Finally had time again to play! Installed a few good UI mods, some cosmetics, I don't really want to experiment with game balance in this campaign yet. Things are super duper dandy, think we are over the last big hurdle, which was Sectopods appearing. My roster is only getting stronger, and we are giving them ayys what for! I really hope I can finish this one, would be a cool feat to accomplish.

Faceoff is hilarious. Scored five hits, four kills this last mission with it :D Terror? What terror?
panic

Talvieno wrote:> Everyone else
OMG THIS GAME IS HARD, FIRAXIS YOU SCREWED UP BAD, CAN HARDLY FINISH MISSION ONE

> Misty
WTF U GUYS, GAME'S FINE, JUST NEEDS MORE ALIENS TO SHOOT, KINDA RUNNIN' DRY HERE
To be fair, I'm only running Commander Ironman, not Legend :v Plus I'm not fighting fair, abusing meme bacons and nades like nobody's business. Also this is still my fifth campaign, one that didn't end up wiping horribly early on :D Only semi-wiping twice. Once rather early, when an Advent MEC decided that it would be fun to grenade my guys on a roof, and then once when I activated all things ever, including my first ever Sectopod. I'm actually impressed that the game allowed me to recover from losing that many high-ranking soldiers, which is a huge plus. I feel like I'm learning a lot of things on both the tactical and strategy layer of the game, about enemy types, usefulness of abilities, and building priorities. The endgame is super fun, with everything unlocked and the entire array of tactics finally available. Mmm proxy mines.

I've yet to try my spanking new psions though! They are both Polish, with an EXALT bandana and Lennon glasses. Customization is so hilarious, I love it :3 Winning this campaign or not, I will walk away with a roster of heroes immortalized.
panic

I win. The stats screen freezing up was kind of anticlimatic, but dammit, I have the achievements to show for it, I saw the ending, I win! I have no stats to show for it, unfortunately, but I know I lost 10 troops, including a Colonel or two, recovered, and walked away with about 300-350 kills I reckon.
Spoiler:      SHOW
The final mission was balls to the wall, nail grinding madness. The one before it wasn't light on the nerves either, taking down 9 enemies with a half-strength team, had to make very efficient use of equipment and class abilities. I took my Gunslinger, my Grenadier, and my Phantom on the ordeal, all Colonels, and it was just about as tight as it could go. Turtled all the way, of course, but we walked away with barely a scratch by accidentally getting set on fire without a medkit.

The assault on the underwater base... I broke out my countdown tokens to check all the enemies. Brought a Phantom and a Blademaster, a Gunslinger, and three Grenadiers, armed to the teeth. I turtled my way through the introductory part, was sparing on explosives, we did fine. No wounds, nothing scary. Then the final battle... it was everywhere. Avatars themselves are not a scary thing, despite the ton of health, dodge, and the annoying popping around. Their teleporting actually helps, because if they are in a bad part of the map, in good cover, a hit forces them into a worse situation. No, the scary part was the total spam of opponents as turns ticked down. The last Avatar I had to goose chase around a dozen other aliens, taking cheeky shots, grazing him, but my very last 48%-er hit, and the game was won. No losses, only one wound taken. I'll call that 'good' :D
All in all, I had loads of fun with the game, and I want more. I'm gonna go back for another round of C:I (or L:I? the endgame was too smooth), making less stupid mistakes, and probably psi-rushing like mad. I'm anxiously awaiting a bit of patching (though on my system, the game runs very much alright, despite being a memory hog), and the DLC and expansion coming later on.

Please give these heroes a hand.
panic

Yea in all honesty I just kinda said "screw this" after I kept failing the last room, and started a modded playthough, but then I kept getting out of memory errors from bugged voice mods (I have 12gb RAM, doubt its actually using all that lol) and am waiting for the last member of Delta Squad's voice (Fixer from Republic Commando) before I start again. And this time, I know what lies in that last damn room.
Also, are you saying that once you kill the last Avatar, its game over? I don't have to clean up the other aliens?

MrPerson wrote:
Also, are you saying that once you kill the last Avatar, its game over? I don't have to clean up the other aliens?
Yes
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

MrPerson wrote:Yea in all honesty I just kinda said "screw this" after I kept failing the last room, and started a modded playthough, but then I kept getting out of memory errors from bugged voice mods (I have 12gb RAM, doubt its actually using all that lol) and am waiting for the last member of Delta Squad's voice (Fixer from Republic Commando) before I start again. And this time, I know what lies in that last damn room.
It was kind of by a hair's breadth that I made it this stellar, hoping to nail it better with the next playthrough :D I mean, at least next time I'll walk in there knowing what to expect. Hate to leave our success to RNG, and we would have ended up seriously maimed if the next turn was allowed to progress. I was fretting, because it would have been kinda sad if I failed right there at the last effort. It was a fun challenge nonetheless, the warmup part tests your 'normal' flawless pod murdering skills, then the end, while not on an actual timer, does knock you back out of that entrenchment mood. Game's perfect for my Long War masochist tendencies!

I heard some early mods had a bug that made them enormous, don't know if that's the case here. Even in the half of the game where I was playing vanilla I got a 'low memory' warning once in a while, more than 14 of 16 occupied :v But the game cleans up its act after peaking around there, I noticed.
The objectives state that the Commander's Avatar must survive, and that all other Avatars must be killed. Didn't list 'neutralize all enemies' there like it did with other missions, and with that, and the unreasonable hordes of enemies spawning (like seven of them in a turn, while there was already five on the field?) I suspected thorough murder wasn't the goal here. Good thing it happened to be so!
panic

Online Now