Return to “Games”

Re: XCom 2

Cornflakes_91 wrote:wtf are those rifles, tearing apart those barricades like paper.
Overpowered for the presentation.
Although they are Gauss/Magnetic from what we know.

I wonder how long it'll be until Long War 2 is built on it :P
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:wtf are those rifles, tearing apart those barricades like paper.
Overpowered for the presentation.
Although they are Gauss/Magnetic from what we know.

I wonder how long it'll be until Long War 2 is built on it :P
I'm not sure if it's gonna happen. The LW team is planning to work on their own independent projects, iirc.
panic

I had never heard of Long War before. I did my research but I have to confess that I don't like what I saw. It's seems to transform a game about actions and consequences in a war simulation, which is going on the opposite direction of my tastes, and being under the confusion that more is better. The omission of multiples abduction points at the same time tell me that these people just don't like the main concept of the game and tried to build a different kind of experience on top of it, which is probably an interesting way to face a mod idea actually. I didn't like the inclusion of Fatigue (that's what Wounds are for) and the fact that color is now dependent of Class. Actually, I think I didn't like anything of it witch is weird because it means that I agree with Steam population about this subject, and that scares me. :shock:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:I had never heard of Long War before. I did my research but I have to confess that I don't like what I saw. It's seems to transform a game about actions and consequences in a war simulation, which is going on the opposite direction of my tastes, and being under the confusion that more is better. The omission of multiples abduction points at the same time tell me that these people just don't like the main concept of the game and tried to build a different kind of experience on top of it, which is probably an interesting way to face a mod idea actually. I didn't like the inclusion of Fatigue (that's what Wounds are for) and the fact that color is now dependent of Class. Actually, I think I didn't like anything of it witch is weird because it means that I agree with Steam population about this subject, and that scares me. :shock:
Colors are automatically selected by class, but customization is still in there for your leisure if you care to do it, nothing is forced :) Wounds punish you for taking actual damage - fatigue just prevents you from pulling each and every mission with the A-team, and have to manage your roster well if you don't want things to turn ugly. You also don't need multiple abductions: when half you team is in the sickbay, half is fatigued, and all you have is rooks for the terror mission tossed at you... you don't need artificial decision making pressure. 'Do I take this mission or let it slip' is a completely valid question here that vanilla ignores; so is 'do I abort now and save the rest of the team' and 'I have no interceptors, RIP satellite'.
I personally like how they expand on previous mechanics, and extra equipment, perks, research, all counterpoint the insanely buffed ayy hitpoints and numbers. Much less forgiving, but lets you branch much wider and solve situations a lot more tactical way; the air game and base building are constantly pressured by need and scarcity too. It's not perfect, mostly because maps are just way too small for this, but it's fun if you're looking for an unfair challenge.
Of course, the whole concept is not everyone's cup of tea. It's definitely very demanding and absolutely hates you, while vanilla is a very straightforward waltz into the story.
panic

Many mods out there don't cater to things that I prefer, but that is because everyone is weird in their own special way! :lol: Sometimes, I like immersion, sometimes I like flashy graphics. All depends :D
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Mistycica wrote:Wounds punish you for taking actual damage - fatigue just prevents you from pulling each and every mission with the A-team, and have to manage your roster well if you don't want things to turn ugly. You also don't need multiple abductions: when half you team is in the sickbay, half is fatigued, and all you have is rooks for the terror mission tossed at you... you don't need artificial decision making pressure.
I can't put my best team on every mission precisely because of the wound system, and I really like that the game system is designed over the idea that every decision forces you to let something behind. (That's how Telltale games are designed too.) It's something I really like, which is present everywhere, from perk selection to the medals. And having a limited amount of options is much better for me that having many multiple options like with the extra weapons. It's just not for me, unfortunately, at least not at this point. (Maybe someday on the future, when I would want something different from the game.)

I like the idea that the mod gives you something new if you have already played the game many times and on the hardest difficulty. It's different and that may be considered a good thing. I just like the original idea much better. :D
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote: I can't put my best team on every mission precisely because of the wound system, and I really like that the game system is designed over the idea that every decision forces you to let something behind. (That's how Telltale games are designed too.) It's something I really like, which is present everywhere, from perk selection to the medals. And having a limited amount of options is much better for me that having many multiple options like with the extra weapons. It's just not for me, unfortunately, at least not at this point. (Maybe someday on the future, when I would want something different from the game.)

I like the idea that the mod gives you something new if you have already played the game many times and on the hardest difficulty. It's different and that may be considered a good thing. I just like the original idea much better. :D
Yeah, guess after you get to know all nooks and crannies of vanilla, you really start to crave a bit more tactical variety. Definitely not a first timer's (or many people's) plaything, it's just overwhelming.
panic

Tried installing Long War for Enemy Unknown. Downgraded patches, followed instructions, uttered obscenities, and even tried sacrificing a goat. Wouldn't work. And I don't think I'll be spending 30 dollars on Enemy Within just to play the mod hahaha...ha... :crazy:

EDIT - See rage thread :evil:
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:Tried installing Long War for Enemy Unknown. Downgraded patches, followed instructions, uttered obscenities, and even tried sacrificing a goat. Wouldn't work. And I don't think I'll be spending 30 dollars on Enemy Within just to play the mod hahaha...ha... :crazy:

Spend three bucks on a sale (there were a bunch recently) and buy it because it's an amazing expansion pack with an arseton of great content :V
Problem is at your end if EW keeps resisting. The game is supposed to crash for the first launch, but that's it. Smooth.
panic

Mistycica wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:Tried installing Long War for Enemy Unknown. Downgraded patches, followed instructions, uttered obscenities, and even tried sacrificing a goat. Wouldn't work. And I don't think I'll be spending 30 dollars on Enemy Within just to play the mod hahaha...ha... :crazy:

Spend three bucks on a sale (there were a bunch recently) and buy it because it's an amazing expansion pack with an arseton of great content :V
Problem is at your end if EW keeps resisting. The game is supposed to crash for the first launch, but that's it. Smooth.
I kept getting the error "This file doesn't exist" Options: Abort, Retry, Ignore(Will Break Game) Aborting obviously doesn't install it, retry never works, ignore causes the files to be installed but Long War won't even start. Sometimes it even breaks XCOM. So I would have to check the file integrity of XCOM 313967103985 times and none of the time it worked. So...I'll just stick to vanilla for now.

Revert and reinstall LongWar their readme states that.
It doesnt always install properly.
Also it helps to have started EW first before you install LW.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now