Return to “Games”

Re: Elite Dangerous

Finished a long-range exploration trip. I went a little past the Eagle Nebula because my passenger wanted to go there, and scanned a beacon next to an Earth-like that he wanted. I then turned about and headed home, but detoured to the Eagle Nebula since I'd never seen one before. Turns out there's a prominent system almost dead center of the thing, so I aimed for that. When I got there, I was astounded to find NPC ships roaming about. I quickly checked the nav panel, and it turns out there's one of those new asteroid bases here. :shock: I docked to repair a few scratches and resupply the AFMU, and check my exploration scan data (without selling it yet, as I want to sell it where it'll give me rep with factions who matter.) :shifty:

They buffed scan data values in 2.3. Heavily. Earthlikes used to be worth 50,000-80,000 credits on full scan. Now they're well over 600,000. :ghost: I used the so-called "Neutron Highway" to get there and back, so every neutron star I scanned was a magic 50,000 credits as well. I took me time on this trip after a fashion. Every time I saw an Earth-like or a Water World in the system map, I promptly turned aside to scan it.

So when I finally got back, my very contented passenger paid me 18.6 million credits, and I earned over 20 million credits just on the exploration data. :o Some systems were worth over a million credits on their own. So I earned a hair under 40 million credits for what was around 15 hours of flying. Not bad! Especially since the passenger mission reward counted to exploration rank. :D

The farthest I went was about 1,200 light years past Eagle Nebula, totaling 7,622 light years from my spawn. The engineer named Professor Palin is now unlocked and I can bring him some alien junk to unlock his services and upgrade my engines to grade 5. :ghost: By the way, this trip was in the Dolphin with a 35ly jump range, which got boosted to 140ly for one jump at every Neutron Star. :twisted: Still, next time I'm taking a ship with a real jump range of at least 50. Even the boosted ranges often weren't enough to reach the next Neutron Star, since they're so scattered and sparse this far out from the core of the galaxy.

I actually enjoyed that trip a ton. There were some interesting sights; there's a whopping huge cluster of over a hundred class B stars packed into a 20ly box in the Eagle Nebula, which looked really purty, and another even larger cluster near the Omega Nebula that I passed on me way home. That cluster filled my canopy view. :squirrel: Neutron Stars are stunning looking and a little creepy, with those helixical jet cones spraying from the poles, but once I got used to seeing them, they never stopped being eye candy. I saw binaries several times, even almost plowing into a star in a trinary when I jumped in. :shifty: The asteroid base was a real looker as well, especially since it was situated right in the ring of a gas giant. You could leave the base and fly 10km to the side and start mining without ever having to enter supercruise. Heck, a miner situated there wouldn't even need a frameshift drive. :lol: There were a bunch of interesting looking planets, especially the blue ones. I brought an SRV, but never used it, so next time I'll likely leave it to gain an extra 4ly on the jump range. :ghost:

What was also fun was the navigational aspect. I used this tool to calculate a route prioritizing Neutron Stars, which meant that at every Neutron Star I opened the galaxy map and manually selected a star as far as I could jump on the path to the next Neutron. I also had to keep an eye on me fuel levels, and several times adjusted the jump route to a scoopable star. I want to give a shoutout here to whoever at Frontier implemented the automatic replotting of a route just by opening the galaxy map if you deviate. It made my life so much easier. :D :thumbup:

When I got back, I was certainly relieved to be home and ready to spend hours doing pewpew, but I did enjoy that trip very much, enough that one day I'll make another, longer one in a better ship. :squirrel:

:wave:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Silverware wrote:Gah, Joshdamn all you guys, making me want to fly again!
Could ya wait a few weeks till I have my PC?! :ghost:
We must build up hype, for when you do get your PC, so that it is the first and only thing you play. :twisted:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Detritus wrote:
We must build up hype, for when you do get your PC, so that it is the first and only thing you play. :twisted:
I'm already at maximum hype. I have the shakes from the hype.
Its three weeks till I have the money, maybe four till I have it together.
A MAN CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT HYPED
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

IronDuke wrote:So when I finally got back, my very contented passenger paid me 18.6 million credits, and I earned over 20 million credits just on the exploration data.
You owe me a new keyboard. That's absurd! I think I've made maybe 1 million creds total so far. Exploration's going to be a better profession than I'd expected. I'll have to try and hit some uncharted systems this weekend and test out my Cobra!

cuisinart8 wrote:
IronDuke wrote:So when I finally got back, my very contented passenger paid me 18.6 million credits, and I earned over 20 million credits just on the exploration data.
You owe me a new keyboard. That's absurd! I think I've made maybe 1 million creds total so far. Exploration's going to be a better profession than I'd expected. I'll have to try and hit some uncharted systems this weekend and test out my Cobra!
Exploration requires a REALLY good jump drive to do well. And expensive scanners.

However apparently the new Passenger Hauling is pretty worth while. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Advanced Discover Scanner, 1,545,000.
Detailed Surface Scanner, 250,000.
Class 4A FSD, 1,610,080.
Class 4A Fuel scoop, 2,862,360. (You could run any size or rating though.)
Dolphin itself cost 1,115,330.

So your minimum is about 7.5 million credits, though my Dolphin ran a lot of other systems that bumped my total purchase cost to 14,146,490. However, I got it in Li Yong Rui space, so I got a 15% discount which dropped my actual expenses to 12,024,516.

It's really not all that expensive. A couple days of bounty hunting can easily give you that much money and more. :)

A note: you don't actually require a jump range more than 20, but it certainly is a lot more comfortable with longer range. :P

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Silverware wrote:
Detritus wrote:
I'm already at maximum hype. I have the shakes from the hype.
Its three weeks till I have the money, maybe four till I have it together.
A MAN CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT HYPED
Damn. As I'm listening to you all, I want to play this game too. :D

I played it once but didn't like, that you could turn sideways really fast, but now up and down. :(
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

IronDuke wrote:Advanced Discover Scanner, 1,545,000.
Detailed Surface Scanner, 250,000.
Class 4A FSD, 1,610,080.
Class 4A Fuel scoop, 2,862,360. (You could run any size or rating though.)
Dolphin itself cost 1,115,330.

So your minimum is about 7.5 million credits, though my Dolphin ran a lot of other systems that bumped my total purchase cost to 14,146,490. However, I got it in Li Yong Rui space, so I got a 15% discount which dropped my actual expenses to 12,024,516.

It's really not all that expensive. A couple days of bounty hunting can easily give you that much money and more. :)

A note: you don't actually require a jump range more than 20, but it certainly is a lot more comfortable with longer range. :P

--IronDuke
Yeah, I'm not perfectly outfitted yet- need a better jumpdrive and fuel tank, and my scanners are crap. I'm planning to do my initial exploration runs in a Cobra Mk III. It's not as good as a dedicated explorer ship, but it's probably the best choice out of the ships I have at the moment.

Scytale wrote:
Upgrade them to A-class across the board - that's a useful way to remove all your money :P

I have to say, passenger hauling was giving pretty good payouts even before the patch, I'm looking forward to playing it again now
But why would I do that if I only need the weight savings from the undersize Class D equipment :3

I just bribed myself into Alioth (those 'donation' missions, mhm) to buy a discounted Orca, that thing is pretty, and pricy as heck. Looking forward to making use of its passenger space and showing crime lords the seven thousand wonders of the galaxy :lol: Certainly a more stylish way to travel than the Diamondback I previously used! The jump range is also pretty good if it's stripped down properly.
panic

Online Now