Return to “Games”

Re: Elite Dangerous

IronDuke wrote: *realization hits*

Philip is a moderator on the Elite forums!

I've even seen him but never connected the name with here.
Philip is much respected here, IronDuke. As is Geraldine who pops up on the KS pages from time to time to give Josh encouragement in his work. :angel:

Philip Coutts wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:29 pm
Aww shucks, thanks folks!

Haven't been around much lately due to changing jobs. Also just back from my holidays where I had a nice birthday.

Yes, I mod on the ED forums but don't hold that against me! :lol:
good luck with the new job, Philip, and I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your holiday. :)

I could never hold such a thing as you being a mod on the ED forums against you. It's very brave to take on such an onerous position. :angel:

Philip Coutts wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:29 pm
Yes, I mod on the ED forums but don't hold that against me! :lol:
Of course not. I've heard the E:D mods didn't do a particularly good job in the earlier days, especially during the "we're-cancelling-offline-mode" maelstrom, but during the time that I've been on the E:D forum, the mods have not done anything I dislike. They maintain a stiff hammer, but I think it's necessary for a place that big with that many trolls. And after seeing the WoT and WoWships forums, I'm glad they do. Those forums have people directly insulting each other with some pretty nasty stuff, including death threats, and the mods ignoring it. On the E:D forum, you'd get a warning, then a threadlock if it continues.

Besides, threads discussing the moderators get very hilarious very fast when they pop in for inane comments. :shifty:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

IronDuke wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:56 am
I've heard the E:D mods didn't do a particularly good job in the earlier days, especially during the "we're-cancelling-offline-mode" maelstrom
During that 'maelstrom', the volunteer (unpaid) mods were between a brick and a hard place! I expect FD <spits> told them exactly what to say, and what not to say. I had a run-in with one, but on the whole the volunteers did a pretty good job.

That said, there were a couple who should never have been mods in the first place!
Oolite Naval Attaché

I defeated a griefer with one stroke. :mrgreen:

I was at Quince, in Open Play, last Monday. I'd seen this guy, whose username is Odyssey in leetspeak, blowing people up for giggles. His method was to use an extremely fast Imperial Courier, charge at a player, drop a swarm of mines, and duck aside. The mines would typically disable the ship's thrusters, leaving them at the fella's mercy. Well, he tried it on me at a planetary surface. I'd just dropped in, saw a hollow triangle, and kept an eye on it while flying low. Sure enough, it suddenly approached at very high speed, so I boosted and turned, watching a sudden cloud of white contacts (mines) appear. My Cobra can do 538 m/s boost, so he missed and slammed into the planet, asploding. :twisted: I know it was him as he'd been yakking in chat until he tried to attack, and a couple people nearby laughed at his demise, naming him.

Oddly, I haven't seen him since. :think:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Online Now