Return to “Games”

Elite Dangerous

well, not here to advertise this, but I have pulled my pledge yesterday, I lost all faith in FD and DB to make this game, but today, they release this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5JYRyhxYhI&feature=plcp

even now I won't back this game, I did back it, and backed it on name alone, but seriously, the whole KS has been badly handled, and if they had more then a working tech demo, why oh why didn't they show more of this game to begin with? the project has lost many backers already, and another one today has pulled his pledge, before the mention of this new video which isn't in an update yet

you compare this to SC and even LT, there is a lot more showing then anything FD has shown about ED so far, and I still think the game will be MP focused, so even though they finally got around to releasing a new video, its too late, I will not re back this game, I transfer the pledge over to LT and there it will be kept,

FD and DB had their chance, had their chance to do a really good KS, but they are lsoing it, sure the new update will raise pledges a bit, but I will not back this game again,

anyone here also been watching ED and have feelings opn how its been done or has pulled their pledges for whatever reason? but in the end, the game will likely get funded, but I won't touch it with a ten foot barge pole, until I see some solid reveals and users reviews or the game on steam in its bargain section
Re: Elite dangerous

I have lost all faith in DB & Co during the course of their Kickstarter. I pulled my £200 pledge and while the video making the rounds today is impressive, it is a case of too little too late. If they value their community this poorly, imagine how miserly with content they wil be come (hypolthetical) release! I will not back a project I have no faith in and which puts so little effort into validating the investment of my hard-earned money. I kept a token £1 pledge just to continue following it, but trust lost is nearly impossible to regain. I am doubtful he will secure mine again, and at this point I doubt the Elite project wil even meet its goal. It is a cautionary tale to anyone who thinks they can launch a KS project, sit back on their duffs, and wait for the millions to come rolling in. We are too smart for that.

at least I'm not alone sharing such thoughts

but ok they now done update 6, showing the new vid and updated the FAQ

but after reading the FAQ I am still concerned on how MP will work

but there is another concern, porting to other platforms, me thinks this is a bad idea, or shows that they don't intend to push the game that much, the Raspberry Pi for example isn't made for gaming, yet its in the FAQ,

but still there are concerns about MP
the game will be DRM free, and will be playable offline
BUT
while the game won't be a sub based game, the buying of items including ingame credits is a concern, as that surely must mean the game will have to be tied to their account system? if it is to be DRM free, then surely the game will be hacked easy, and the servers hacked easy?

I don't see how one can work without the other

also what about duping of ingame credits? the whole system will fall flat on its face, I don't think they know what they are talking about, as the game will most likely will have cheaters galore, especailly on their own servers, and even blizzard aren't that good on keeping their servers secure,

I just think there are too many concerns for the game to work, if they are going to add their own servers and find ways to keep them running like buying ingame cash with cash, (that pretty much turns it inot a pay to win game anyway) they would have to have server security as their number one concern, otherwise you might as well say, the game will have MP, but it will be lan, peer to peer, we won't have servers of our own, there is no point FD having any servers,

just doesn't make much sense really

Matthew Cason wrote:at this point I doubt the Elite project wil even meet its goal.
With you there. Almost everyone whom I've seen comment on its chances of success says it probably will, but I don't think so. Sure, the Kicktraq trend is well above goal for now. But that's because of the incredible surge on the second day. I say incredible not because it's uncommon for a KS project (it's pretty much the norm), but because there wasn't even a video at that point, so DB raised £500k by just saying "I made Elite. Give me money." I'm still astonished.

That said, they haven't raised more than £26k in 17 days. If you ignore day 2, they've raised a little over £15k daily. Granted it's a lot, but the goal is gigantic: £1.2M.
To reach the goal, they have to raise a little over £16k daily. So the present pace will not take them up to the goal. And if the project keeps behaving normally, the pace will keep stalling until the campaign nears the end.

Sure, they can still make it. Especially if they have an end surge anywhere near the beginning one. But it's certainly not a given.

I would also agree that the project may not make it, the trending towards on kicktrag can't be counted on

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/146141 ... dangerous/

so yes unless they get a massive surge they won't make it, and it seems that the project is still losing people, which I dont think kicktrag even accounts for?

sure it has the time, but right now, it seems that its existing backers doing the work by increasing the pledges, now this can't keep, so in 20 days time unless they get a lot of new backers, then there won't be enough people to keep upping their pledges, as they done it already,

to me, FD should cann this KS and call it a bad job, I dont think it will make it, and there is another problem
it seems from reading the comments, those that are the most active are the most vocal and the most insulting, we had at least one backer leave today, and at least 3 or 4 people insulted him for leaving, like "shut the door on your way out, or some other insulting remark, people have a right to cancel if they have lost faith in a project, and for people to insult other people because of that is just immature, so I think this might be another reason why the KS is going slow, as they are reading the comments and probably saying, will I get insulted if I pull my pledge at any point? which also doesn't bold well for first time backers either

FD / DB should have commented about this, asking people to stop using peoples names as insults, yes one user did speak out against using peoples names in this fashion, but its not right, and I also seen my name used as well in such a fashion, and a few others, this doesn't make the comments page friendly, or warming, it makes it cold and hostile, so getting new backers to back a project when there are so many insults flying around will also be an uphill struggle,

so yeah, there are a lot of reasons why this won't make it, the trend on kicktrag can';t be counted on, sure there was a large inncrease on the second day, and this I think is where its getting the numbers from, as day by day, pledges and new backers are slow, and not really sure if the new update will really help

its too little too late

now if only I was really, really rich, and I would have helped LT be funded, Josh and LT has my vote, and damn I wish I can help him more then I already have

this young man has inspired many, far more then FD has done in its number of days, and that faith for FD just keeps droppinmg like a stone each and every day

matthewfarmery wrote:I would also agree that the project may not make it, the trending towards on kicktrag can't be counted on

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/146141 ... dangerous/

so yes unless they get a massive surge they won't make it, and it seems that the project is still losing people, which I dont think kicktrag even accounts for?
It does. There's a tab for Backers and Pledges by day and I've seen it go to negative on some unlucky projects, so backers who pull out are accounted for on kicktraq.
Obviously, the trend is not to be counted on. It's not even a projection, it's more or less the result of: current_pledge_total + number_of_days_remaining * current_daily_pledge...

The projection proper (it has its own tab) tends to be a lot more reliable (and tends to undershoot slightly by design). Even with the incredible length of the campaign, the current projection range goes from £914k to £1.570M, so anything is possible. We'll see how the campaign evolves during the next few weeks and the kicktraq projection will become more and more precise.

OK thanks for that, but I was really refering to the trend rather then the backers . pledges per day, but yes that can't be relied upon

looks like the project has lost a 5k backer for whatever reason, there are a few comments stating that, but I guess whoever it was hasn't posted in the comments in fear of been flamed

so it still looks like the pledging is slow, but then again weekends are always slow

still, not a good think really to keep losing backers for whatever reason

edit

still the name calling continues
Tim Longworth 1 minute ago

@Marc ... shhhhh! That term has been outlawed, as a number of Barry's may have Jonty-ed to make up for 'the outcast' .... only joking ... nothing to see here... move along
and
Bil Irving 1 minute ago

@Marc: there was a revolt from the International Union of Barrys earlier today.
how do they expect new backers to back this, if they continue to use names as insults? I mean seriously, they need a lot more new backers, and using people's names as insults isn't going to be the best thing now isn it? if my name was barry, I wouldn't have stayed long and closed the window and gone else where

seriously, they won't do FD, elite and the comments thread any favours on getting new backers if the name calling continues

FD and or DB should call a hualt to this, if they want new backers ASAP

Jason Schupfer wrote:New backers won't decide against it just because of some silly or rude commentators.
Especially because most people decide whether or not to back without looking at the comments.
In fact, many who do back never take a look at the comments, so I think it may have a lot more impact on backers who are on the fence and still wondering whether it's worth staying or not.

My main worry is that they put the kickstarter requirement too high.

Anything over a million pounds is a bit egging it. I wish they had put it more at 700,000 pounds. And Josh shows you don't need mega money to do it. It would be a shame if they got a million and had to give it back. DB said it was to test demand, but do you really need to get over a million to be confident about demand.

Anyway fingers crossed they make it. I want that game as well as this one.

Jason Schupfer wrote:My main worry is that they put the kickstarter requirement too high.

Anything over a million pounds is a bit egging it. I wish they had put it more at 700,000 pounds. And Josh shows you don't need mega money to do it. It would be a shame if they got a million and had to give it back. DB said it was to test demand, but do you really need to get over a million to be confident about demand.

Anyway fingers crossed they make it. I want that game as well as this one.
Yes, I think the goal itself shows they did not understand the purpose of Kickstarter.

I read the post-mortem of an unsuccessful campaign a while back and one of the things the guy analized they had done wrong was setting the goal to what they wanted instead of what they needed. I'm pretty sure there's something like that going on here. They probably need £1.2M to make the game they envisioned, the way they envisioned it, but they don't need that much to make a great game.

Then there are also people who make the opposite mistake and ask for less than they actually need, counting on stretch goals... It's a hard balance to strike, in the end.

I also hope that Elite : Dangerous makes it, by the way, despite their lackluster campaign and apparent lack of research and understanding about Kickstarter.

Jason Schupfer wrote:My main worry is that they put the kickstarter requirement too high.
You call THAT high ????

Have you seen what that brat Chris Roberts did with his re-re-reinventing Wing Commander now called "Star Citizen" and "Squadron 42" ??

NucNuc wrote: You call THAT high ????

Have you seen what that brat Chris Roberts did with his re-re-reinventing Wing Commander now called "Star Citizen" and "Squadron 42" ??
Chris Roberts asked for $500k on Kickstarter.
The goal matters. The higher it is, the less people will believe the project can make it.
£1.2M is not just high, it's the highest goal I've ever seen on Kickstarter. That is one of the things undermining the Elite : Dangerous campaign.

As for Chris Roberts, I am a proud backer of Star Citizen and I appreciate his backing Limit Theory tremendously. I'm sure plenty of LT backers could sign those words. Just so you know.

Online Now