Return to “Games”

Re: Elite Dangerous

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Philip:
Well, why should the AI give you the mission to destroy the target?

Why should it hire external forces if it can do the job by itself without big hassle?

Why should it risk compromising the operation?
One of the premises of ED is that there is a "cold war" between the Empire and the Federation. Basically an uneasy peace where occasional fights break out. Given that a lot of the time they don't want to be seen doing anything that would upset the other faction so they hire mercenaries and it gives them plausible deniability. I.E. "We've never seen this man before and we certainly didn't tell him to blow up your spaceship!". Also a lot of the stuff they ask you to do is illegal and they don't want to get caught having anything to do with it. For me ED is trying to tell a story and a big part of that is through the missions, currently the story just doesn't run, it constantly hits brick walls and leaves you feeling that you are not part of the Universe, rather you are just doing "stuff" that really doesn't influence anyone or anything.

Philip Coutts wrote:
Deej wrote:Has anyone heard as to when the ED boxed sets (premium beta) will start shipping?
They are supposed to be shipping now but I will believe it when I have the boxed set in my clammy hands! :o :lol:
Does that include all the other physical rewards, Philip. I can understand FDEV sending the cardboard tubes separately but are we to expect a parcel containing the game and all the rest of the goodies?

The chances are that your guess is as good as ours but, you being one of the new breed of Commanders and holding the title of Earl, there's a faint chance you may be better informed than the Commanders of the age now past. Those who cry in the void about what might have been. :mrgreen:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Philip Coutts wrote:
Deej wrote:Has anyone heard as to when the ED boxed sets (premium beta) will start shipping?
They are supposed to be shipping now but I will believe it when I have the boxed set in my clammy hands! :o :lol:
Does that include all the other physical rewards, Philip. I can understand FDEV sending the cardboard tubes separately but are we to expect a parcel containing the game and all the rest of the goodies?

The chances are that your guess is as good as ours but, you being one of the new breed of Commanders and holding the title of Earl, there's a faint chance you may be better informed than the Commanders of the age now past. Those who cry in the void about what might have been. :mrgreen:
Sadly my title of Earl doesn't include an land, privileges or indeed any information! My understanding is that the boxed set will come first, followed by the ship identification chart but and it's a huge but, most of this is picked up from the forums and there hasn't been an official announcement. I know for example that the physical ship models are no-where to be seen at present and what official information there is can't really be trusted! The boxed sets were supposed to ship ages ago but as I've said previously I'll believe it when I have it in my hands! :evil:

Philip Coutts wrote:I know for example that the physical ship models are no-where to be seen at present and what official information there is can't really be trusted!
I was wondering about those models, Philip. I didn't order one because they seemed too expensive at the time but when I consider what I've shelled out in pledges for virtual ships in SC.... :oops: It would be interesting to know how many Commanders bought one. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Philip Coutts wrote:I know for example that the physical ship models are no-where to be seen at present and what official information there is can't really be trusted!
I was wondering about those models, Philip. I didn't order one because they seemed too expensive at the time but when I consider what I've shelled out in pledges for virtual ships in SC.... :oops: It would be interesting to know how many Commanders bought one. :angel:
I know of a couple who bought models and they are less than impressed with Frontier. Basically there has been no communication from Frontier on the state of play with the models and given they cost upwards of £500 (on top of the Kickstarter pledge leve :o l) that's very poor. Unfortunately it's not that surprising though is it :roll:

Philip Coutts wrote:I know of a couple who bought models and they are less than impressed with Frontier. Basically there has been no communication from Frontier on the state of play with the models and given they cost upwards of £500 (on top of the Kickstarter pledge leve :o l) that's very poor. Unfortunately it's not that surprising though is it :roll:
I wouldn't be very impressed either, Philip. They should have been delivered by now.

:o What, no communication from Frontier! I find that very hard to believe, Commander. ;) :)

Oh man, making jokes based on FD's PR-armageddons is getting too easy. Well, they deserve it by putting all the right ingredients on a silver plate. :lol:

Edit: ok, on a different tone, this post (beware, is a wall) in the ED-Forums is something different. I must confess that I start to like the game. A little. A tiny little. But the feeling direction has changed. Now reading this post I think it was good that I've left the game alone for a couple of months. It was a matter of perspective, I suppose. It still crunches my gamer soul with some features (or rather lack of), but if I try enough and forget the rage and the mockery then, I think, I could learn to leave in peace with this game. And in the game.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Don't get me wrong, Lum. I don't hate the game as such. It's a glorious flying experience. I love the graphics, the sound effects, the music.... I could go on. I'm sure Frontier will make progress with the less than great parts of the game we have discussed and add the parts like SPL which every Elite fan wants to see.

But...it isn't the game they said they would deliver.

And it's very hard to forgive the way some backers were treated by FDEV. :(

I generally really enjoy the game. Yes there are a pile of missing features but hopefully they will come in time. What I will never get over is the way that Backers have been treated. Shoddy, lacklustre and downright good old fashioned disgraceful. Frontier will not see another penny of my money for in game items such as paint jobs and I know a lot of other long term backers feel exactly the same. If I hadn't backed to a level where I get all the future updates for free I certainly wouldn't be paying for those either. Such a shame that guys with so much experience in the industry (Braben and Molyneaux) have tarnished their reputations and indeed Kickstarters as a whole.

Philip Coutts wrote:Such a shame that guys with so much experience in the industry (Braben and Molyneaux) have tarnished their reputations and indeed Kickstarters as a whole.
I managed to sidestep the Peter Molyneaux Kickstarter, Philip, I had a gut feeling he wouldn't be delivering what he promised. I'm still at a loss to understand why David Braben felt the need to behave so badly. :(

Online Now