Return to “Games”

Re: Elite Dangerous

Thank you Philip, I will try. :) I tend to agree with you on your observations concerning "nostalgic backing". :angel:

I wasn't interested in backing Godius. (I sometimes get it right you know. :lol:) The only real failure I've experienced is one of the Elite book projects (you know which one ;) ) E:D wasn't a true failure. There is a beautiful game universe with the promise of much added content. It's just not the game I was hoping for.

I love GOG but I did treat myself to the enhanced Baldur's Gate titles on Steam. I will probably add the enhanced Icewind Dale to my account when the price is more favourable.

I've never considered LT to be a small project although I 've joked about Josh underplaying how ambitious his plans were. A "little project" it was never going to be if the dream/vision was anything to go by. :D

I'm feeling a bit jaded with the whole crowdfunding thing at the moment. January was never my favourite month so there is a fair chance my views will change as the year advances. ;)

I should maybe have said small in terms of the finances being asked for not the scope of the project! :D

I love ED, at the moment it's a thing of beauty but it desperately needs more content. I think it's a shame that the reason for the KS was so there wasn't any pressure to rush out a product that wasn't ready and it turns out that's exactly what has happened. I feel another 3 months of development to get the mission structures right would have made the game so much better.

Well so much for trying to post a success story. :(

Last night when I got home I replied with my acceptance of their offer and provided my paypal account as requested. This morning I got this:
Hi Nicholas,

Upon review I'm afraid we are unable to refund your £20 pledge as you made it before we comitted to an offline mode during the Kickstarter campaign.

As such, the pledge was made in the knowledge that the game required an online mode to play.

I can still refund your purchase of the lifetime expansion pass for $50, however. Please let us know if you wish to proceed with this refund.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Mark

---
Customer Services
Frontier Developments PLC
I do NOT intend to accept this offer. First of all the excuse they give is B.S. in that Kickstarter pledges aren't locked in until the campaign completes. I DID back the game right away to lock in an "early bird" tier knowing full well I could drop out at any time until the projected completed. Had they not announced a DRM-free single player version I would have terminated my pledge before the campaign completed.

Even setting that aside though, even if that was a legit reason to deny a FULL refund (which I don't believe it is) it's wrong (and potentially illegal) to extend an offer, have it accepted, and then change the terms of the offer. IF they were going to use timing of your backing as a criteria they should have factored that in BEFORE extending me an offer. Now that the offer has been extended and accepted they should not be able to change the terms. I guess now I'm forced to go to the credit card company and possibly law enforcement. I'm really starting to despise this company.

Asmodai wrote:Well so much for trying to post a success story. :(

Last night when I got home I replied with my acceptance of their offer and provided my paypal account as requested. This morning I got this:
Hi Nicholas,

Upon review I'm afraid we are unable to refund your £20 pledge as you made it before we comitted to an offline mode during the Kickstarter campaign.

[...]
I do NOT intend to accept this offer. First of all the excuse they give is B.S. in that Kickstarter pledges aren't locked in until the campaign completes. I DID back the game right away to lock in an "early bird" tier knowing full well I could drop out at any time until the projected completed. Had they not announced a DRM-free single player version I would have terminated my pledge before the campaign completed.
Yep, that's the same excuse they gave me, and I backed early for pretty much the same reasons (increasing my pledge after offline was announced). If I'd backed via credit card I would've done a chargeback by now.

For now, it's just tumbleweed. I wonder which of these things will come first:
a) offline mode in ED
b) refund for no offline mode in ED
c) actually being able to fly to other planets in your own real ship in real life

I know what my bets are on. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

<Waves at Cody's receding figure> "Nice to see you, fly safe!"

So I've dipped my toe in multiple ship ownership. I've abandoned my nicely upgraded Cobra and bought a mini space cow in the Lakon Type 6. I intend to do a bit more trading and build up some money before buying an Imperial Clipper. At the moment I've got about 100 tonnes of cargo space in the Lakon and I'm making just short of 100,000 credits per trade run. I've also progressed to Baron in the Imperial Navy although disappointingly it was by delivering 4 tonnes of grain. Frontier really need to sort out these missions!

Victor Tombs wrote:Frontier Developments have requested my T shirt size so I imagine it won't be long before I receive my box of E:D goodies. A great pity that the KS ended on such a low note. I could have put up with the bugs and the incomplete nature of the game as I was given fair warning beforehand. I cannot agree with the dropping of offline. I feel utterly betrayed on that. I've always considered myself to be a reasonable, patient and forgiving soul but the treatment meted out to those early backers who were just interested in a revival of a franchise which captured the true spirit of the original games has been nothing short of appalling. I genuinely did not expect to feel this disappointed about the project. :cry:

This whole experience has soured my view of KS and it is unlikely I will want to be involved in any similar projects in the future, no matter how appealing the pitch for such ventures may be.
Yeh.. I've been burned a number of times on KS projects. There's projects and games I am still waiting on from before I backed LT even! And there are projects I've simply given up on because they are never going to send the rewards I was promised numerous times. One of the latter ones I don't believe was a scam, many people (including my brother) did get their rewards.. just that "stuff" happened during the final stages and that led to a minority not getting their rewards. Add to that the projects I am disappointed in because the direction and/or result was fundamentally different to the pitch... and yeh.. I'm not too happy about those.

However, I have always been wary.. and I've had a good track record with the projects.. so I won't be sworn off KS just yet. I won't be more cynical or wary either.. it's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Right now the only reason I am not backing lots of projects is financial position. We have a lot going on right now, so won't be spending much of anything on "luxuries". I will buy DA: Inquisition eventually, for example, but I won't buy it at full retail.. whereas 9+ months ago, I would have paid full-price for a game I really wanted.

I've been playing since the first Alpha version and today I've decided to take a break from the game. I love E:D and I'm impressed how the game evolved during the last year. But after seeing this nice universe almost each day for one year now I need short break.

I had lot of fun estimating the distance dependency of the rare commodities. I will come back to E:D I'm sure. The online / offline debate also concerns me because my connection is quite bad sometimes. But I found a good solution: LT is my offline mode. But after the last RTB update I'm sure that I need to share my spare time between LT and E:D (not to speek of my SC account :mrgreen: ).

mcsven wrote:Just as an FYI in case you missed it: RPS Elite: Dangerous review.
The final sentence of the article, "The best unfinished game of last year." sums it up so perfectly.

And like he says many times in the article, if you can make your own fun then you will have a great time. Unfortunately I'm the type of person that plays games to follow a story or at least be given some direction so I can play out my character in that direction etc.

It's too much of an open book... too much of a blank page...

And yeh, I totally have to agree with the "it doesn't explain in-game stuff at all" statement of it being frustrating for some and enjoyable for others. I am one of those who needs things explained.. even just a little bit.

light487 wrote:
mcsven wrote:Just as an FYI in case you missed it: RPS Elite: Dangerous review.
The final sentence of the article, "The best unfinished game of last year." sums it up so perfectly.

And like he says many times in the article, if you can make your own fun then you will have a great time. Unfortunately I'm the type of person that plays games to follow a story or at least be given some direction so I can play out my character in that direction etc.

It's too much of an open book... too much of a blank page...

And yeh, I totally have to agree with the "it doesn't explain in-game stuff at all" statement of it being frustrating for some and enjoyable for others. I am one of those who needs things explained.. even just a little bit.
And that is the reason why I have not bought ED, I love tutorials, I like things explained so I dont get frustrated when playing the game, if I get frustrated the game goes out of the window.

light487 wrote:And yeh, I totally have to agree with the "it doesn't explain in-game stuff at all" statement of it being frustrating for some and enjoyable for others. I am one of those who needs things explained.. even just a little bit.
That's me. I love sandbox games, but what ED does is too much. There isn't even a welcome message or something to give you a boost to start your life in the game! It mustn't be the Bible, an small text would be enough. But no...
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Lum wrote:
light487 wrote:And yeh, I totally have to agree with the "it doesn't explain in-game stuff at all" statement of it being frustrating for some and enjoyable for others. I am one of those who needs things explained.. even just a little bit.
That's me. I love sandbox games, but what ED does is too much. There isn't even a welcome message or something to give you a boost to start your life in the game! It mustn't be the Bible, an small text would be enough. But no...
Indeed.. and trying to work out what all the parts do; trying to work out how to play the different paths (bounty hunting for example requires you to have a warrant scanner; or mining requires you to have a refinery and mining lasers etc) is so much trial and error.. if I were a miner, I would have the basic knowledge of how to do things.. or a bounty hunter would have the basic knowledge of equipment required etc..

There's barely even tooltips in the game.. very rough on the side of UI etc

Online Now