Return to “Games”

Re: Elite Dangerous

Thanks for that Thymine. :thumbup: I believe I've ordered posters of both the star map (not this one) and ship identification. I didn't buy a mug but I will probably end up getting one. Most precious is the signed hardback of the sequel to "The Dark Wheel". :mrgreen:

:think: Actually, I wouldn't mind a Limit Theory mug if Josh ever considers the merchandising opportunities for the game. :)

Victor Tombs wrote:Thanks for that Thymine. :thumbup: I believe I've ordered posters of both the star map (not this one) and ship identification. I didn't buy a mug but I will probably end up getting one. Most precious is the signed hardback of the sequel to "The Dark Wheel". :mrgreen:

:think: Actually, I wouldn't mind a Limit Theory mug if Josh ever considers the merchandising opportunities for the game. :)
As an elder council, aren't you also eligible to receive a signed copy of the book he's planning to write as well? :)

Victor Tombs wrote:
ThymineC wrote:As an elder council, aren't you also eligible to receive a signed copy of the book he's planning to write as well? :)
Indeed I am. Extremely limited and very precious to me. I am looking forward to all the physical rewards Thymine. :D
It'd be cool if I got to co-author parts of it with him. Latex is fun. :ghost:

ThymineC wrote:It'd be cool if I got to co-author parts of it with him. Latex is fun. :ghost:
:lol: Maybe Josh will mention some notable contributors to the game in the credits. I was always under the impression that the book itself will be a very personal journey for him. I doubt if that has changed. :)

Victor Tombs wrote:
ThymineC wrote:It'd be cool if I got to co-author parts of it with him. Latex is fun. :ghost:
:lol: Maybe Josh will mention some notable contributors to the game in the credits. I was always under the impression that the book itself will be a very personal journey for him. I doubt if that has changed. :)
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. From the title, I was expecting something more objective and detached, but that might very well be the case.

Anyone have access to E:D's Premium Beta? I'm Standard Beta myself. But when I was looking at Frontier's site, there's also a future Expansion Pass for all major DLCs when they become available.
From what I understand they will implement 'walking around' ships and planets. Does the Premium Beta include future access to Elite DLCs? Shouldn't I just bite the bullet and get the Premium Beta? It sort of grates on my nerves that E:D has such a higher level entry than Star Citizen but then again I've spent a fortune on digital goods for SC. Why wouldn't I do the same to support Elite?
"Exploration and discovery is not an option we choose—it is a desire written in the human heart. We are that part of creation which seeks to understand all creation."
My KSP Videos

Landge wrote:Anyone have access to E:D's Premium Beta?
I do Landge. I've been trying out the single player Alpha combat today and it's impressive. I suck at it at the moment but that's just a lack of practice and unfamiliarity with the controls. I'm slowly improving. :oops:
Landge wrote:Does the Premium Beta include future access to Elite DLCs?
Mine does as it is part of the KS rewards but it appears to be the same for the store bought product.
Landge wrote:Shouldn't I just bite the bullet and get the Premium Beta?
Yes, go for it! :lol: You know you want to.

(Although at one stage they were allowing KS backers to upgrade. I am not sure if that is available now. You may have to buy the package at store price. I was offered a discount if I went from Premium Beta to Alpha.)
Landge wrote:I've spent a fortune on digital goods for SC. Why wouldn't I do the same to support Elite?
You said it Landge. :thumbup:

Commander McLane wrote:
I do. But only theoretically.

I'm on a Mac, and there's no Mac support yet for E:D. It's only going to be added several months after the final release of the game. Until then I can do exactly zilch with my Premium Beta access.
Sorry to hear that Commander McLane. Considering your history with previous games in the series that must be frustrating for you. :(

Victor Tombs wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
I do. But only theoretically.

I'm on a Mac, and there's no Mac support yet for E:D. It's only going to be added several months after the final release of the game. Until then I can do exactly zilch with my Premium Beta access.
Sorry to hear that Commander McLane. Considering your history with previous games in the series that must be frustrating for you. :(
@ Cmdr McLane: Ditto here. Mac's always tend to be the 'red headed stepchild' when it comes to gaming.

@Victor Tombs: I'm playing out the different SP scenarios using a laptop/mouse. It's taken a bit of time to figure out the controls and set them to what works best for me. I remember how difficult the original Elite was to control without a joystick. Even with a mouse it has proved difficult. But will improve over time I suppose.

The 'silent running' map was the 1st one that gave me trouble but I persevered and finally defeated the last Fed ship as the Cobra III Merc was closing in on me. Supply Strike is now my brick wall :x . I don't know how, or even if, you can command your wingmen, target subsystems, or 'Match Target Speed'. Staying on the Anaconda's 6 is an exercise in frustration, not being able match speeds. What tactics have you found work best for this scenario?
"Exploration and discovery is not an option we choose—it is a desire written in the human heart. We are that part of creation which seeks to understand all creation."
My KSP Videos

Landge wrote:I'm playing out the different SP scenarios using a laptop/mouse. It's taken a bit of time to figure out the controls and set them to what works best for me. I remember how difficult the original Elite was to control without a joystick. Even with a mouse it has proved difficult. But will improve over time I suppose.

The 'silent running' map was the 1st one that gave me trouble but I persevered and finally defeated the last Fed ship as the Cobra III Merc was closing in on me. Supply Strike is now my brick wall :x . I don't know how, or even if, you can command your wingmen, target subsystems, or 'Match Target Speed'. Staying on the Anaconda's 6 is an exercise in frustration, not being able match speeds. What tactics have you found work best for this scenario?
I was really pleased to read that you decided to go ahead with your decision to buy the Premium Beta Landge. :D (I knew you didn't require much persuading :lol: )

I can't help you with your mission problem as you are far in advance of where I am at the moment. I've completed scenarios one and two many times but I haven't really started playing the game in earnest. What little time I've had available to sit down and pay attention has mainly been used to select a device which felt right for the game. I've looked at a good few of my archive collection of input devices but still haven't decided on which one to use. :oops: There are many helpful videos posted on YT and there have to be Elite commanders who can help you with tactics who are members here and on the E:D forums. :)

At the rate I'm going I will be lucky to complete my first play through before Premium Beta officially starts. :lol:

The tactics I found on yt involve staying on the Anaconda ' s 6 while avoiding her main beam weapons at the same time. I have found a somewhat safer alternative sniping her from a distance. 2400 ~ 3000 seems to be the sweet spot to keep you out of reach of the main guns while you whittle down her shields with your beam weapon and missiles. While not as exciting as close range combat, your survivability is assured. A win is a win in my book. :D
My KSP Videos

I joined with the premium beta wagon as well :D

ohh what a joy this game is! loving it ..

I too am stuck with the same mission.. don't have all the controls set up.. u can target different subsystems? ... or match speed?
and does the small missiles have lock or are they dumb line of sight ones?

hehe youtube and forum search for me !

love my TrackIR and Saitek-x52 feel of the game.. reminds me of my glory days playing BMS falcon 4 .. flying feels right! , may not be as much complicated as flying a block 52 F-16 but still complicated enough at first :thumbup:

very impressed so far.. even though I can only do single player missions , but the beta is just around the corner on may 30th just enough time for me to hone down my skills in SP.
cant wait for MP and docking etc.. gonna recommend this to my old fighter squadron mates , dust off the old TS and do some missions! lol

positron wrote:I joined with the premium beta wagon as well :D

ohh what a joy this game is! loving it ..

I too am stuck with the same mission.. don't have all the controls set up.. u can target different subsystems? ... or match speed?
and does the small missiles have lock or are they dumb line of sight ones?

hehe youtube and forum search for me !

love my TrackIR and Saitek-x52 feel of the game.. reminds me of my glory days playing BMS falcon 4 .. flying feels right! , may not be as much complicated as flying a block 52 F-16 but still complicated enough at first :thumbup:

very impressed so far.. even though I can only do single player missions , but the beta is just around the corner on may 30th just enough time for me to hone down my skills in SP.
cant wait for MP and docking etc.. gonna recommend this to my old fighter squadron mates , dust off the old TS and do some missions! lol
Glad you are enjoying it so far, it is indeed a joy to play. In answer to some of your questions:

Yes you can target sub-systems, it depends on what type of controller you are using but if you target the ship then go to the left hand panel, somewhere on there (I forget where) there is a panel for sub-systems. If you don't like that then as I say depending on your controller you can assign a key to cycle through the sub-systems (I use back on my xbox pad for example)

There isn't a "match speed" you just have to use skill!

I believe in the Anaconda mission the missiles you have are dumbfire so you have to aim accordingly. It's been a while since I played as I've been busy in multi-player.

Your best bet is to have a look on youtube, there are hundreds of fan videos and you will no doubt find one for your set up. In fact I'm sure there was a thread where someone gave a layout for all the buttons on the Frontier Forums, I'll have a look for you.

Online Now