Return to “Games”

Re: Elite Dangerous

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:31 am
IronDuke wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Oddly, I haven't seen him since. :think:
because the universe is large and empty and its basically impossible to find individual players beyond coincidence
Well, I was sure I'd run into him again, as there's only one good station in that system for the missions people are running there. Quince ain't just any old system; even though it's a fair distance outside commonly inhabited space, an interesting coincidence of planet position, station position, and factions mean that it's the single most profitable system in game. That wasn't the first time I'd seen the guy; I saw him last week as well, though he got roasted by the station when attempting to attack a different player.

I'm not entirely sure why I never encountered him again. Maybe he just logged off for the day. :think: I left the system yesterday, so it's now REALLY unlikely I'll see him again.

While space is big, there's a finite number of inhabited systems, and some are peak points of interest. I've run into players many times over at these systems. There's one guy who's been trading between the same two systems for over a year. :lol: I'll bet he's still there.

In other news, the 2.4 Beta drops later this month. \o/

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Cody wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 pm
Victor Tombs wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:12 pm
Drew is a fine writer.
Talking of Drew, his Oolite stuff can now be found here. He was 'pressured' into removing it from his own site.
The price you pay to retain your chair as the official Elite Dangerous author no doubt, Cody. They are well worth a read but I suspect their close ties with Oolite are the problem.

I'm still waiting for both the hardbound and the audio versions of Premonition to be announced . :angel:
Last edited by Victor Tombs on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He's the one who got me to buy Elite: Dangerous in the first place. I watched Scott Manley videos, Obsidiant Ant videos, and a number of other YouTubers, but none of them sold me on the game. But seeing Isinona's piloting - that was something I wanted to do myself. And I can, too. :D Not quite with his level of skill, as I no longer have two joysticks, but at the time that I did, I'd have placed even bets on the outcome if we were to duel. :3 He's better at first, but he gets careless or impatient if the battle drags on, while I adapt and overcome. Basically, I think if one can just survive for a while, one can defeat him.

The reason why I am unconcerned by a "dead" universe, by "boring" gameplay, by a "lack of things to do" is because I derive 90% of my Elite enjoyment just from flying the ship. The mere action of controlling a spacecraft is so fun that nothing else really matters. :D (and I think I've mentioned this before :shifty: )

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

IronDuke wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am
The reason why I am unconcerned by a "dead" universe, by "boring" gameplay, by a "lack of things to do" is because I derive 90% of my Elite enjoyment just from flying the ship. The mere action of controlling a spacecraft is so fun that nothing else really matters. :D (and I think I've mentioned this before :shifty: )

--IronDuke
If that is the case, I invite you to watch this.

Spoiler:      SHOW
To fly the Viper(*) is a most rewarding experience. Plus, the theater of war is never dead, boring, or with a lack of things to do -- the dynamic campaign engine keeps stuff happening all around, whether you are there and participate or not.
HOTAS gear required. TrackIR or equivalent recommended, but not mandatory.
Finally, while there is multiplayer to enjoy, it can be a completely offline experience for as long as you like.
Keep in mind that the video is 2 years old. Meanwhile the sim has been improved upon.

(*) = I wonder if the abundance of reptilian names for spaceships in E:D was somewhat inspired by Falcon.

-fox

Cody wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:58 pm
The ships in the original Elite (1984) were nearly all named after snakes.
Thanks, they are probably unrelated then.
Original Falcon is from 1984 as well. Even if Braben and Bell had played it (during their time at Cambridge Uni), it is unlikely that the title could influence them to that point.

Online Now