Return to “Games”

Re: FTL: Faster Than Light

Hardenberg wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:
SillierNote wrote:After 40 tries I beat it once :D
:shock:
It's technically a roguelike. You don't want to hear about my 200 games of Hack before I even managed to even get the effing Amulet of Yendor, let alone get back out again. Or my attempts at not dying like a snail in a salt pail in ADOM.

This brings us to a rather interesting aspect of this game type...most newer games WANT the player to succeed. Roguelikes don't really care about the player's fate and let them fall where they may (and also operate on a strict "dead is dead" credo). What will Limit Theory do in that department?
:twisted: I hope Limit Theory ruthlessly crushes me in the same way Angband did. That's what kept me playing.

Finally ended up getting this game.

After getting my butt kicked for two hours on normal (couldn't seem to get past sector 5) finally caved in and switched it to easy. Beat it three times in a row straight through.

I must admit, it is difficult since it was mentioned it is technically a roguelike, but it didn't seem too difficult.

Whelp, back to trying on normal again during this snowstorm.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Maybe I will buy this game just for fun. I have seen it on steam for a while ... but I have to many games that need playing already before LT release :o
DWMagus wrote: Whelp, back to trying on normal again during this snowstorm.
Ahhha Colorado =) ... I lived there for 6 months (Boulder). Loved it!

Fun little game but shame it's to short. Took me just 8 hours to beat it on Normal.

Id sooooo Love a more complex version where you control a single person and play coop multiplayer with all your friends on the same starship. Imagine something like artemis bridge simulator with one playing the captain just ordering the crew around :D

Ixos wrote:Imagine something like artemis bridge simulator with one playing the captain just ordering the crew around :D
Sounds very tedious. Specially when the crew disagrees with the captain. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I'm.... I'm still playing this. Managed to get as far as Sector 7 last night.

Then I ran out of fuel.

Then I ran out of hull.

:roll:

One incident shook me slightly, though. I had a rebel ship in my clutches, it was in flames, all but one of the crew were dead and the last person was desperately trying to repair the engines. I had an ion cannon, so decided to try and knock out his O2 unit, as he was already heavily injured and there was a decompressed room between him and the O2 thingymajig. So I kept hitting it, and after a while he calmly left his post and walked into the decompressed room. As if he wanted to die on his own terms. :cry:

RIP rebel engineer, you will never be forgotten.

HowSerendipitous wrote:I did beat the game a couple of months ago. Only 30 or so hours for my first win.

And then, today, I saw this.
Just what I need, another playthrough on that game. :|
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Hardenberg wrote:This brings us to a rather interesting aspect of this game type...most newer games WANT the player to succeed. Roguelikes don't really care about the player's fate and let them fall where they may (and also operate on a strict "dead is dead" credo). What will Limit Theory do in that department?
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

charnode wrote:On of the bigger disappointments for me. Never played a roguelike before, and probably never will again. It's basically just throwing stuffs at opponents until you die. This could have been so much more...
There are other types of roguelikes that are pretty decent though. FTL just happens to be one facet of the genre. Personally, if you like platformers, Rogue Legacy has been insanely fun.

charnode wrote:On of the bigger disappointments for me. Never played a roguelike before, and probably never will again. It's basically just throwing stuffs at opponents until you die. This could have been so much more...
Image :twisted: Now that's out of the way, FTL is not really a typical roguelike. No @ symbols for starters! If you want to do it properly, grab a dungeon crawler like Angband or ADOM (if you're quite insane). Or if you want something a little more modern, TOME's looking good these days.

Yes, roguelikes are hard. Ridiculously hard in places, but they're very rewarding if you learn how to play them and can do well.

And, yeah, Rogue Legacy is lots of fun! Must finally kill the final bad guy....

Online Now