Return to “Games”

FTL: Faster Than Light

I don't know how t his hasn't come up yet. Its an amazingly thought out game about a journey through space that can end in a large multitude of ways, with the most likely being death. It has an amazing soundtrack that's only beat by the gameplay. An added plus is the fact that AI is smart, reacting to damage and intruders like a player would. If you don't know about FTL check it out. Right now.
Forgive me if I ask a stupid question, I do that a lot.
Re: FTL: Faster Than Light

Steam and their own website are now selling it at half price ($4.99) for this weekend only (Jan 11 to 13). Makes it an easier decision for those who have not purchased it yet. However, I recommend buying through their own site, rather than via Steam (deliberately not linked to the app page :twisted:), as you can get it 100% DRM-free in Windows, Mac and Linux, and get a Steam key to redeem, if desired.

I agree. Death is almost a certainty due to the mostly random nature of the rogue-like game. I especially have trouble with the "second" boss. If you are able to get a victory condition consistently, I salute you.

I particularly like the pause feature. You get the "instantaneous" reaction time like most AI have.

I have won FTL precisely once. That was on my second playthrough ever, and on easy mode. Never beat it a single time since then, I still play it frequently, and it's one of my favourite games. Losing genuinely is fun in this game.

As I just mentioned over in the thread on Kerbal Space Program, FTL is one of those games which let really epic stories emerge naturally through the gameplay. I still have fond memories of the time my whole crew got wiped out except for one single Mantis, who heroically kept the ship going for most of another sector before finally succumbing to impossible odds. Fantastic game.

FTL has introduced me to the Roguelike genre, and I'm not sure whether to love it or hate it for that!

FTL is completely awesome. My only gripe with it is that events get old when you know every single one of them, and the magic of the narrative is lost... But for the first playthroughs, it's just brilliant.

I can beat it more or less consistently in easy with most ships, but normal? no way in a million years. "Normal", who came up with that name? God.

Anyway, my progression in the roguelike genre has been FTL -> Binding of Isaac -> Tales of Maj'Eyal -> Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I recommend every single one of those games. They're really, REALLY good. DCSS has me particularly hooked like no other game I played before. It has a good looking tiles version too.

Steel Neuron wrote:FTL has introduced me to the Roguelike genre, and I'm not sure whether to love it or hate it for that!

FTL is completely awesome. My only gripe with it is that events get old when you know every single one of them, and the magic of the narrative is lost... But for the first playthroughs, it's just brilliant.

I can beat it more or less consistently in easy with most ships, but normal? no way in a million years. "Normal", who came up with that name? God.

Anyway, my progression in the roguelike genre has been FTL -> Binding of Isaac -> Tales of Maj'Eyal -> Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I recommend every single one of those games. They're really, REALLY good. DCSS has me particularly hooked like no other game I played before. It has a good looking tiles version too.
Ahhhh, Tales of Maj'Eyal... I used to play that back in the day when it was TOME. Now that was a complete monster of a game.

Back when I was at uni I managed to get into possibly the worst game possible - TOMENet. Imagine a fully featured Roguelike (with ASCII graphics, of course) but online and realtime. Had some fabulous times with that game, even if it's rock hard.

If you're interested, the linkee is here - http://www.tomenet.net/ - It's still in development over 10 years later and is based on Moria/Angband.

It's also more addictive than crack.

If you like spaceships and roguelikes, look no further than Prospector.
It's pretty awesome for a roguelike - space combat, planetary exploration, annoying natives, wierd encounters of the third kind that would make Captain Kirk envious, and random death at every stage.

...to be honest, I'd kill for a realtime game like that with a decent graphics engine. Oh well, maybe a few more decades down the road...
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

JoshParnell wrote:
SillierNote wrote:After 40 tries I beat it once :D
:shock:
It's technically a roguelike. You don't want to hear about my 200 games of Hack before I even managed to even get the effing Amulet of Yendor, let alone get back out again. Or my attempts at not dying like a snail in a salt pail in ADOM.

This brings us to a rather interesting aspect of this game type...most newer games WANT the player to succeed. Roguelikes don't really care about the player's fate and let them fall where they may (and also operate on a strict "dead is dead" credo). What will Limit Theory do in that department?
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

I haven't beaten it yet... Tried numerous times.
Concerning strategy I'm more of a bruteforcer, I have to admit. I can be a bit slow at picking up the intricacies of some strategies. :)
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I got to the boss once on normal, and beat him (using almost all my scrap and missiles/drone parts, etc).

I felt really proud until I realised that I had just got past stage 1 of the boss fight, and he caught up to me in the next system and thrashed me in an entirely new and painful manner.

Stupid roguelikes :/ :P
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Online Now