Return to “Games”

Re: FTL: Faster Than Light

Today I discovered you can abuse asteroid sectors to train shields.
Also training the pilot and engine stats against a mostly harmless foe. :D

Too bad repair can't be trained cheaply.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:Today I discovered you can abuse asteroid sectors to train shields.
Also training the pilot and engine stats against a mostly harmless foe. :D

Too bad repair can't be trained cheaply.
FTL is fantastic in small doses, but when you start playing it regularly for 30 hours or more, repetition sets in. Even though each run is randomized, I was so familiar with all the constituent parts of the run that it bored me. I wonder if this problem would also crop up with procedural generation. Can such content compete with massive million-dollar hand-crafted content? Would players of LT be bored after 50 hours of having seen all the general permutations?

Vartul wrote:FTL is fantastic in small doses, but when you start playing it regularly for 30 hours or more, repetition sets in. Even though each run is randomized, I was so familiar with all the constituent parts of the run that it bored me. I wonder if this problem would also crop up with procedural generation. Can such content compete with massive million-dollar hand-crafted content? Would players of LT be bored after 50 hours of having seen all the general permutations?
Yes, I believe so.
Take a look at Starbound. Because there are a limited amount of parts, all these permutations become alike. Animals are composed out of different body parts, randomly chosen depending on the seed of a planet. Same for the background, the colour of the dirt, and so on. Once you visited a desert planet, you have visited them all. There's nothing unique about it.

Since Josh isn't really using anything prefabricated (besides sound?) I'm hoping this kind of repetition won't be very noticeable in LT.
Ships and stations of different factions should be different. Even if their function remains the same. But yeah, seen one asteroid, seen them all.

Note that if all ships are different from each other, the difference washes away the actual difference. Difference only matters when there isn't much of it. Take colours for instance, if one faction uses bright blue colours to paint their ships, and other uses red, you'll notice. if all ships are just painted in some random colour, the colour soon loses it's meaning.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Sugoigirl123 wrote:An excellent game. Need to really play the updated version.
Surprised no one has said this, but welcome to the forums! :wave:

That being said, I tried to play the update. I think my lucky streak was over once I beat it the first time. :|
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

The easiest way to beat it is to use boarding parties and plenty of shields, it's a long drawn out fight but it works none the less. Also a little tip, if you kill all the crew but one the rest will not respawn when you fight it again. :D

P.S. I also have videos 8-) this one has an epic failure at the start.
The only limit is the one you set.

Well I had a coupon I needed to use so I picked FTL up today and have come to realize that it's quite a good little game for the $2.49 it cost. I like how it is possible to unlock ships by playing through various in game events and how different aliens have slightly different feels. I've only had two play thoughts and though it seems a bit repetitive (without the expansion pack enabled) it is still a challenging experience. It's also one of the first games I've played where I've needed to use the pause button a lot just to stay up to speed with the pacing.

Wow, Steam claims I already have 7 hours in it. I think I can say I have my moneys worth, yet I still want to play one more round :clap:

Online Now