Return to “Games”

State of Decay YOSE

YOSE = Year One Survival Edition

Hi All, I did a search for this and couldn't find a thread so thought I would create one.

I bought this on steam a couple of days ago (after watching 4 hours of twitch streams on YT) and have been hooked.

It is a zombie survival game but with a big emphasis on managing a group of survivors and their home base (including securing, crafting and improving etc.) and outposts. Neighboring survivors will also need your help from time to time and eventually, with trust, will join your group allowing your own community to grow. Its open world and feels similar to GTA with its missions, time sensitive missions, side missions etc. The characters in your group often need assistance and taking them out into the field with you helps build trust and prevent low morale issues (which can lead to them killing each other never mind the zombies!).

You get to play as different members of the group once you have built up trust with them, building up their attributes etc. If a character dies they are gone for good, as are resources and vehicles etc. so you need to take care and plan what you are going to do - forgetting to take certain items when away from home can be very costly. As soon as you think you have got a handle on things you usually quickly find out you were wrong and lose a favorite/high spec member of your group! (quite sad when that happens).

Fighting zombies is good, there are some great animation sequences. Normal zombies are fairly easy to kill unless there is a hoard of them in which case using a vehicle is best, including the use of car doors which is funny. There are loads of melee weapons from table legs & pans etc through to sharp sword types and heavy such as wrenches. Also a large array of guns although ammo stocks will deplete eventually.

Scavenging buildings/houses helps find new items and you can call in runners from the group to collect materials/food back to base for you, so you can scavenge whilst on missions without worrying about logistics too much. In the main game at least (maybe also in the DLC) there are random supply drops from a mysterious benefactor from time to time which are hard to clear the zombies from, but well worth it due to the bounty you eventually receive.

Occasionally you come across beefed up zombie variants (not sure of their names) one is really fast and hard to kill, another has body armour so only dies from melee attacks, and a boomer type I have come across so far, there no doubt will be others as I progress further.

There are 3 game modes with this YOSE version - the original game with storyline, a DLC with different story line (playing as army) and a DLC that is open sandbox mode with ever increasing difficulties (apparently some players have gotten communities of up to 64 members in this mode).

There are some negative reviews on steam, however nearly all of these are from people who previously bought the original game, then the DLC packs and have now bought the YOSE bundle thinking it was a new version. They just about all say if you haven't got it previously then get it - so they are not really negative reviews of the actual game - just the misconfusion with this version.

I would certainly recommend it. I know there are a 1000 zombie games out there already, this isn't so much about killing zombies its about gathering together a community of people and survival.
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube
Re: State of Decay YOSE

I played it and found fighting the zombies highly frustrating.

You often have to enter houses / sheds where you know that zombies (whose eyes glow in the dark) are waiting just around the corner.
If you take one step inside you get grappled immediately and then it's time for yet-another-QTE of button mashing.

Uninstalled it after 90 minutes.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now