Return to “Games”

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

PLEASE have a non-Steam version.
Gog.com posted some vague comment apparently about it so there may be some hope.
If there is no DRM-free version though I guess plan B would be to hope for a PS4 release as I'd take PS4 over Steam in most cases (Dragon Age: Inquisition and Diablo III so far for example)
For me:
DRM-free (Gog.com, Humble Store (excluding Steam key), developer direct, etc.) > PS4 > Steam > Origin

Asmodai wrote:PLEASE have a non-Steam version.
Gog.com posted some vague comment apparently about it so there may be some hope.
If there is no DRM-free version though I guess plan B would be to hope for a PS4 release as I'd take PS4 over Steam in most cases (Dragon Age: Inquisition and Diablo III so far for example)
For me:
DRM-free (Gog.com, Humble Store (excluding Steam key), developer direct, etc.) > PS4 > Steam > Origin
Why choose PS4 over steam?
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:Why choose PS4 over steam?
In general:
Because consoles have always had DRM. It's something you just accept when you buy a PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo machine. (Apple is similar on mobile)
I'd rather play DRM-free PC games (than console games) but if I have to accept DRM in order to play a game (legally) then console DRM is more palatable to me as it's incumbent to the platform.
Historically consoles have been sold (at launch) for less then they cost to make. Every game on the closed platform had to be licensed by the platform holder and the platform was DRM protected to insure non-licensed software was not run. Those licensing fees (as well as peripheral costs) offset the base hardware loss. Also over time component costs go down until eventually even the base console is making a profit. Strictly speaking that's no longer true for anyone this generation (Xbox One and PS4 both sold at a slight profit at launch for the first time I believe) and Nintendo has been selling consoles at a profit on launch for a few generations now. Still the who idea of DRM on consoles is ingrained whereas it's not on PC.
I would prefer PCs remain open. Instead of just complaining in forums about it I vote with my $$$. As such I try not to buy PC games with DRM. With Kickstarter, Humble Bundles, GoG.com, etc. that's actually become fairly easy for me now. I'm not a fanatic though so I do give in from time to time (I also don't try to convert others to the cause, use whatever you like.) Notable exceptions are Skyrim and Civ V/BE. Those I wanted so bad (I've had every Elder Scrolls and Civ game since the beginning) I was willing to set aside my Steam distaste in order to get the game since there was no other optoin. (In the case of Skyrim and Civ V I actually bought the boxed copies not realizing they were Steam games) I like Deus Ex but not to that level though and if it was Steam-only I'd likely just pass on it.
Fortunately Sony has recently announced that there is a PS4 version coming but I'm still hoping for a GoG.com version as I'd prefer to play it DRM-free on PC. At least now I know my plan B is an option though.

In the case of Diablo III it's a little different because it's not JUST a DRM-free issue. The game plays differently on the PS4 and it allows for 4 player local "couch" co-op as well as not requiring an online connection like the PC version. My gf (who is a huge Diablo fan) and I have had other couples come by and enjoyed some Diablo III gaming in the living room over a few drinks and the PC version just can't compare with that IMHO. Again I'm not saying everyone needs to agree with me but you asked I chose and those are some of my personal reasons. Feel free to disagree and by all means play on whatever platform you prefer.

Steam seems fine to me... other than the minor weirdness of really only owning licenses to games. I have some games on it. Nobody has deprived me of my access yet, and most games I have let you run them without steam being on. It is a good distribution platform, and it is a good place to discover cool stuff. I don't understand the hate it gets. :think:
Libertas per Technica

Dinosawer wrote:I never asked for this topic

this post was brought to you by Dinosawer trying to hide the fact that he hasn't actually played Deus Ex
It could have been worse.

You could have said you'd only played one Deus Ex game, and it was Deus Ex: Invisible War.

:cry:

Actually, DX:IW wasn't a terrible game. The story in particular was OK, and the mechanics were pretty smooth. DX:IW just suffered in comparison to the original, mostly IMO because it was an early console game where DX was a PC game. Having to fit the game into console limitations meant relatively cramped levels compared to the sprawling (but well-landmarked) expanses of Deus Ex, and the "solve challenges your way" design ethic suffered as a result. (Some people also didn't like the console-dictated circular UI, but it didn't bother me that much.)

The original, though... it has some faults, including graphics that weren't great even for 2000. But by and large, Deus Ex remains a well-designed, varied, exciting player-centric game for intelligent adults. It still stands as the single best game I've ever played in terms of basing a story on a difficult real-world policy dichotomy -- security versus liberty -- and then deliberately not dictating The Correct Answer to players, but leaving them free to consider the (sometimes extensive) conversations on the subject and then decide for themselves. That sounds like it might be pretty turgid stuff, but it's not -- the dialogs are optional, and aspects of the security-versus-liberty concept are delivered through the gameplay action, not just through dialog.

(The story was pretty prescient, too. Deus Ex, which used terrorism -- including the destruction of a major U.S. edifice -- to emphasize the importance of choosing between security and liberty, was released in 2000... one year before 9/11.)

That such an extraordinarily even-handed take on a highly political issue came from developers in Austin, Texas, which is a very politically one-sided town, is one of the greatest triumphs of game writing I've ever experienced. They played it totally fair... and gave it much more impact as a result. It really is one of the greatest games ever made.

I'm not sure where you might get a copy these days. Maybe an alternative would be to watch a Let's Play of it -- I see there are several to choose from. You won't get the same fun from that, but it'll give you a practical appreciation for the mechanics and a taste of the story.
Last edited by Flatfingers on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Online Now