Return to “Games”

Subnautica

I found Subnautica the other day. It's a survival game in and under water. Great graphics. You have small capsule with ability to craft. You dive to collect resources and fend off dangerous animals. So far you can build some upgrades, tools and some cool vehicles.

It's still early access, so limited gameplay and storyline with interface that needs some more refinement, but already quite impressive and I didn't find any bugs in that content that's already there. I especially love the sub with dockable mini-sub. Definitely worth checking out.

Today they added ability to build custom bases on the sea floor.
Last edited by Solith on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Subnautica

johncage wrote:way too cartoony. pass
I don't think there is anything cartoony about it, but it's tropical coral reef, so it's full of saturated colors. I would agree though that it should be more dark and gloomy at higher depths.

Solith wrote:
johncage wrote:way too cartoony. pass
I don't think there is anything cartoony about it, but it's tropical coral reef, so it's full of saturated colors. I would agree though that it should be more dark and gloomy at higher depths.

The graphics are sublime the ocean environment is incredibly well done,and it bloody gorgeous at night as the ocean lights up in all it's Phosphorescence majesty,the only cartoony bit is the splash pic for the trailer,they seem to be getting the balance for the graphics just right by their customers feedback check out the upvotes on Steam pretty darn good for early access.

Also really impressed with the transparency from the devs they must mention not buying the game a dozen times as it's early access,only seen this level of interaction with a community in Star Citizen which is a hell of a compliment. :)

@darker70
I was thinking it would be cool to have the lightless areas with angler fish etc, but now that I checked, they live at over 900m, which is far deeper than the game allows so far. Perhaps this could be added sometime later.

Solith wrote:@darker70
I was thinking it would be cool to have the lightless areas with angler fish etc, but now that I checked, they live at over 900m, which is far deeper than the game allows so far. Perhaps this could be added sometime later.
Well as most if not all of the fauna in the game is phosphorescent I would assume at that depth the only non natural light would be from your sub,so I would expect the big sea monsters to glow and maybe have that glowing angler fish like baiting trap as a protuberance so no shortage of lighting possibilities for these very clever devs.

There are some fauna down there that doesn't have any pigment or even eyes because it's never useful to them, so they rely on other senses. Player with light source hunting them and evading predators could have very different experience than near surface. You'd have to navigate very carefully, maybe leave flares to guide you back. After all you have to find your sub before you run out of air and going to surface is not an option. Bases with external lights would have more important role. Anyway, it's all ideas for future or a mod.
Right now I'd like to see some more storyline, UI improvements, rebalancing abundance of resources or maybe some form of farming and power generation (solar, geothermal), and of course more cool stuff to build. :)

Solith wrote:There are some fauna down there that doesn't have any pigment or even eyes because it's never useful to them, so they rely on other senses. Player with light source hunting them and evading predators could have very different experience than near surface. You'd have to navigate very carefully, maybe leave flares to guide you back. After all you have to find your sub before you run out of air and going to surface is not an option. Bases with external lights would have more important role. Anyway, it's all ideas for future or a mod.
Right now I'd like to see some more storyline, UI improvements, rebalancing abundance of resources or maybe some form of farming and power generation (solar, geothermal), and of course more cool stuff to build. :)
Yeah think a lot of this has been discussed on the forums,especially finding salt one proposal is a desalinization plant for your base as in survival finding salt is a pain it's not exactly abundant,and volcanic geothermal energy is on the cards as well,this game should have gone to Kickstarter they would have made millions by now. :)

So far 95% positive must be a record for a EA game. :thumbup:

It has been a while since this thread was updated last.
Allow me to rectify: have you taken a look at Subnautica's latest update? (do not miss the showcase video!)

Just when you think the devs are not doing much, they pull another bunny from the cilinder and wave it right in front of your nose.
And what a bunny this time around... :shock:
I am keeping ever more tabs on this game. I do not buy yet because I made a vow against Early Access (too often became 4Everly Access for me) but the temptation is strong.

Online Now