Return to “Games”

Re: Interstellar Rift

wizaerd wrote:It would've been interesting if it wasn't targeted and developed with Multiplayer in mind, and single player takes a backseat...
Hmm, while I understand multiplayer is not for everyone I must admit I am slightly confused as to how it being targeted at multiplayer makes it less interesting. But to each their own.

TGS wrote:
wizaerd wrote:It would've been interesting if it wasn't targeted and developed with Multiplayer in mind, and single player takes a backseat...
Hmm, while I understand multiplayer is not for everyone I must admit I am slightly confused as to how it being targeted at multiplayer makes it less interesting. But to each their own.
Agreed, I don't see how it's a less interesting game for it. I'd love to keep my eye on it, it looks a little like flagship in the first person perspective.

Holy crap.

I just picked this game back up and tried it again, this time actually putting in some effort to learn the shipbuilding which in times past was exceptionally convoluted and not fun to work with, especially given my lack of creativity. This time though I've found myself very addicted to the game. It is a game I would highly recommend anyone on this forum who is waiting for LT to pick up. It's still very early alpha and fairly bare bones but even in that state it is a solid game and I am having an absolute blast.

It's fairly easy to get into at least in terms of starting off. The station you start on gives to access to facilities that you can collect all the basic building materials yourself which allows for completely self-sufficient ship building so even if you get destroyed or fail it seems you can recover nicely.

One of the things I loved even the first time I tried the game out was just how good it felt even to start collecting/hoarding the basic resources by mining from the starting station then refining and adding it all to my vault seeing the numbers go up and up. Since I played last though there has been quite a bit of improvement. One of which might be of interest if some of you do decide to get it is the fact that there is now a shared vault concept which could allow for some really interesting collaborative work.

It's really a game that just feels really good to play.

Scytale wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:17 am
now that's what i call a ringing endorsement

i might give it a go at some point
Bugger you two!
Now I have another increment in my Steam games count...
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:39 am
Silverware wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:10 pm
Scytale wrote:

Bugger you two!
Whats the server address?
Because playing with randos sucks :V
Haven't started much more than the tutorial yet. But I'll kick up a server now, just ping me on IRC for it. :)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:39 am
Silverware wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:10 pm
Scytale wrote:

Bugger you two!
Whats the server address?
Because playing with randos sucks :V
At the moment I'm playing on the one actual Sydney Australian server. It doesn't have much in the way of people (Mainly myself, the server owner and another guy) but it's quite fun.

I've actually learned a lot the past few days playing it and honestly still having a blast. It actually has a built-in encyclopedia which can be helpful for basic crafting and resource information but the game on the whole is pretty barren in terms of knowing what to do.

So I'll give my experience at least this time around. (As I said before I picked up the game a long time ago and have tried to play it on and off over the years)

I started with the HSC Mining faction (The top/first one). Each of the main 3 factions (not the fourth/drifters) gives you access and the money to buy a starter ship. The HSC mining faction seems to be the best to start with as you can access the mining facilities. I was incorrect in my first post when I said that each of the factions gives those as it appears to be faction specific to the mining guild. (Makes sense) What I did was started with the mining faction and bought the starter ship obviously putting a decent dent in my cash. Now the thing with the starter ship is that you can mine with it but you can't refine. Which in all reality is kind of silly because you can actually stay on the starter station and simply use the mining facilities there to mine. This can be used to sell and make money (if there is enough demand) or to use to build your own ship. The way the ship editing works is still a bit difficult to get used to but enough tinkering will generally work to learn the ropes.

The main thing is that you can design the ships before you actually buy them. In my case because I lack creativity I opted to instead simply modify the starter ship to add a refinery and later an assembly machine as well as rift generator and also a shield generator... shields are very nice though it will increase your energy requirements which in turn increases fuel consumption. The primary fuel is hydrogen and in all honesty it is very easy to come by generally. You just mine water (Very easy) and refine it into hydrogen. Bam. Two steps and you can end up with your own fuel. From there I just kept on modding the starter ship, added a ton of engines on an engine ring to boost it's speed hoping it would allow me to outrun the only/main hostile force which are alien space born things that are very annoying... I failed lol. Didn't seem like I could outrun them even at the top speed I could achieve. So instead I opted to add some additional shielding but because the starter design is pretty compact (Though large) it took some effort but I got there in the end. I've been having great fun with it and basically I'd say... if you like Limit Theory, you'll probably like this. Now it isn't as expansive as LT is supposed to be and well honestly LT is more intended as a RTS iirc so kind of different in that respect. But this game is played from a first person perspective and you can fully walk around your built ships. It's actually not all that different to what Star Citizen was originally going to be minus the planets and well... content. But this is still in alpha as well so can't fault them too much for that.

Now on the ship editor which is one of the more annoying things to have to deal with until you learn it. You literally build the entirety of the ship inside out generally and funnily enough the thing that threw me off in the past and made it a bitch to learn was how the room system worked. You design a room. Put all your goodies in it. Now then you think "I'll just throw another room" nope... that's not how it works. You have to use the doors to in effect create the other room. Then when the door is placed and you have the new room you select it and start working with that room. Beyond that it's pretty easy to get used to, though if you have any questions feel free to hit me up here or on IRC.

Also I just want to say. The game feels good. Like really good. It feels nice to play. The interfaces are generally snappy. The graphics while not amazing are pretty crisp and certainly good enough. The flight can be a bit wonky at times but generally feels good. The atmosphere while again barren/sparse also feels pretty good. And once you start traveling out of the starter system and start to realize just how large the game universe is (Though not infinite/procedural as far as I know) it is certainly worth the purchase. Honestly with how much I've enjoyed playing it this time around I'd have paid a lot more for it. My main gripe though is that it is steam only. If they did a DRM free/GOG release it would probably be my favorite game hands down. (At least in the space genre)

Edit: I will say though that the game is still fairly buggy. But being in alpha still it is excusable. As most of the members know on this forum I'm a pretty big fan/supporter of Star Citizen and I can say that for the most part this is less buggy than Star Citizen despite Star Citizen having far more resources and having likely been in development longer or at least roughly the same. (Not sure when IR started development)

Online Now