Return to “Games”

Re: Kerbal Space Program

I started playing again last week. (A new campaign. It's alway a new campaing.) But I had to eliminate FAR (and by instance Realism Overhaul as well due to being a requisite) because my planes were turning heavily in the runway no matter what, becoming impossible to control or take off. It doesn't seem to do anything anyway so I didn't care too much, but I didn't want to eliminate the other stuff.

I had Real Solar System (which I don't like) because it was impossible to use Remote Tech otherwise, but conducting a survey (probably my favorite kind of contract, always it's below some altitude and not above, because those can't be achieved with early planes as far as I know) in a real scale world at fifty meters per second would have been a matter of expending the full night flying around so I eliminated that too. The result? A better and smoother experience now with all the other realistic stuff still there, including Construction Time, Real Fuels and TAC.

I wish they add some kind of cost for recovering Kerbals and vessels, otherwise making expeditions with aircraft it's way too easy because you don't need to come back home, you just need enough fuel to get there and then just press the magic recovery button, you don't need to plan ahead and there is not reason to conduct recovery missions at all, which would be a lot of fun I think. (You may also choose to recover only your kerbal and leaving the capsule and other equipment behind because is cheaper, however if you have scientific data you will want to recover that as well, leaving Kervin with lots of empty junk here and there. Of course, if you are using Construction Time you will want to recover expensive parts for reutilization too.)

I remember to post here that I wanted to have to pay for using specific parts after research, and they added that, so I may be lucky again with this. Who knows. :squirrel:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

HowSerendipitous wrote:Your graphics look so much shinier than mine, Etsu.
The first pic was using Real Solar System, and that may be why the terrain looks different.
Cornflakes_91 wrote:There is a recovery cost, if you land somewhere != KSC you get less than the full worth of your equipment back.
I didn't know that. May justify returning your planes if the difference is big enough.

However, you still will want to recover your craft. Having to pay for it would change that dynamic I think.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Cornflakes_91 wrote:And if you had to pay more than the recovery of the craft gives you, why do it?
If those parts have scientific data, of if building new ones becomes too expensive. (Using Kerbal Construction Time.) If the cost is still too much, well great. Then you have a good reason to conduct recovery operations yourself and it's an incentive to try to land close to the Kerbal Space Center anyway.

So I got a nice juicy refueller ship up to Thomdon's plane. It's now fully loaded up. I reckon it's got enough to go to another planet, assuming I don't do anything stupid.

I also popped a satellite in there, you know, because it'd be nice.

So, any suggestions where to? Duna or Eve? I suspect Duna is the more feasible of the two and less likely to result in a horrible death. :squirrel:

HowSerendipitous wrote:So, any suggestions where to? Duna or Eve? I suspect Duna is the more feasible of the two and less likely to result in a horrible death. :squirrel:
Thus Eloo is the obvious choice.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

What does the roadmap for KSP look like? What can I do in the current version which I can't do in the demo?

(In the demo I was able to get a ship into orbit around earth and then get another ship to the moon.) Is there mining, or some way to manage expenses? How does the multiplayer play like? Is multiplayer structured into game types or is it similar to a sandbox?

BFett wrote:What does the roadmap for KSP look like? What can I do in the current version which I can't do in the demo?

(In the demo I was able to get a ship into orbit around earth and then get another ship to the moon.) Is there mining, or some way to manage expenses? How does the multiplayer play like? Is multiplayer structured into game types or is it similar to a sandbox?
Multiplayer is planned for later.

The full version has
mining
more parts,
more planets with each of them their own moons
spaceplane stuff
better aerodynamics
quests
etc
Last edited by Cha0zz on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

BFett wrote:What does the roadmap for KSP look like? What can I do in the current version which I can't do in the demo?
you can fly to more planets than just kerbin and the mün for starters, tons of more parts, a cash system, mining for (at least) fuel, dont remember what more
BFett wrote:How does the multiplayer play like? Is multiplayer structured into game types or is it similar to a sandbox?
what multiplayer?

theres a mod that somewhat adds multiplayer, but thats hacky and buggy as hell.

So I got back into the game after all this patching and release and stuff, and wow I'm surprised. Atmospheric model changed a ton - I used to be good at sending Remote Tech + Deadly Reentry probes to Duna and Eve, but suddenly my early-game craft are having a huge lawn dart rate. We make it past the thermal hazards fine, me, my 1.25 capsule, service box, crew cabin, heat shield, and three parachutes. Then the ground rushes at us with speeds still too high to pop chutes. Well, not all the time. Sometimes we make it, which is all the more confusing. All this from 80k LKO, 35k initial periapsis, and a 40-unit detachable heat shield.

What am I missing? Descent too steep? Not steep enough and I get hung up in high alt too much? Is my craft too heavy for its cross section?
panic

Online Now