Return to “Games”

Re: Kerbal Space Program

After playing DCS World for a while, I'm now flying a plane created by a member of the kerbal community (FourGreenFields) to work with FAR, a Messerschmitt P1110 replica, and I like it because is very stable (for KSP at least :lol:) and it doesn't fall apart. Besides, it's WWII stuff. :mrgreen:

Now I need to learn how to create my own "FAR compatible" aircraft. I'm watching this tutorial video:

nuFAR Tutorial

EDIT: I accidentally learnt a new trick: Let some structural thing behind, on the runaway preferably, to have a visual and distance reference of the Kerbal Space Center. Of course, you could plant a flag I guess. ;)
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:After playing DCS World for a while, I'm now flying a plane created by a member of the kerbal community (FourGreenFields) to work with FAR, a Messerschmitt P1110 replica, and I like it because is very stable (for KSP at least :lol:) and it doesn't fall apart. Besides, it's WWII stuff. :mrgreen:

Now I need to learn how to create my own "FAR compatible" aircraft. I'm watching this tutorial video:

EDIT: I accidentally learnt a new trick: Let some structural thing behind, on the runaway preferably, to have a visual and distance reference of the Kerbal Space Center. Of course, you could plant a flag I guess. ;)
YES SOMEONE ELSE WHO PLAYS DCS WORLD what a legend Etsu, what a legend

Scytale wrote:YES SOMEONE ELSE WHO PLAYS DCS WORLD what a legend Etsu, what a legend
Well, I'm new to it. I found about it just last week thanks to Deephack Rogue Sytem Youtube Tutorials. I have tried IL-2 Sturmovik in the past but I was unable to leave the ground or do anything else actually, and is too demanding with my old card. I finally quit. But this one is much pretty and plays well with me. Now I can start and flight the TF-51D very easily, which I like because it has an interactive cockpit. A shame that I can't land, but baby steps as Bill Murray used to say. (Well, it was actually Richard Dreyfuss, but whatever.)

I'm sad that you have also to pay money to flight other ships. I would like to try the F86F or the A-10C or even some helicopter. (Thanks to ArmA 3 I love to flight helicopters, so different from what you would think without any proper throttle device.) But the ones that comes for free are more than good, so not a real problem. And even has a campaign!

That said, I don't have a joystick or TrackIR, so I use a gamepad and the mouse at the same time. (Yes, odd.) But it feels much better with a gamepad that with the keyboard I think.

I have this dream that someday someone will do a "GTA-style" of game with realistic driving and flight and guns, but we know that is very improbable, so it will remain as a dream. :mrgreen:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Definitely, and the Su-25T provides heaps of potential. It is in fact the only plane - free or paid-for - that can fill *every* role. It's the only jet with true SEAD capability, it can carry A2A, and it's a good attack jet.

I used to feel the same as you about the paid-for modules, but there are some key points to note:
1. A given development team tend to spend a year or two per high-fidelity module; these things are extremely finely modelled. Each jet is like a game in itself, and it's not possible (IMO) to be truly proficient at flying more than three aircraft at the same time. Learning a plane takes weeks, and then flying it to perfection can take a year or more of practice. Even one jet can be extremely rewarding over a long period of time. It's better not to think of them as DLC but rather as entire games which share the same running engine.

2. They go on really big sales (like, 70%) every month or so.

I started playing this sim around August last year and it's just captured me. I just keep coming back to it. I think the most enjoyable plane to fly is the MiG-21 - you can feel the love that went into making it, and it flies like you're on a rocket with tiny wings. Blowing things up is just half the fun.

DCS is more of a hobby in itself than just a sim, though. And taking it seriously means investing in the equipment, unfortunately. When I settle into my next job I'm going to bite the bullet and get some nice high-quality joystick, throttles and pedals, and maybe a good TrackIR system. TrackIR and pedals aren't important though, Etsu.

Gamepad's good, but I suspect once you try a joystick with it you won't want to go back =P

Scytale wrote:TrackIR and pedals aren't important though, Etsu.

Gamepad's good, but I suspect once you try a joystick with it you won't want to go back =P
Without TrackIR, how do you look around with a joystick?

I realized that there is a free version of TrackIR (here) but it seams that it a little complicated to build a tracking device, and you will need a camera.

Dinosawer wrote:Most joystick have at least 1 "minijoystick" (a hat switch) Image on the stick that you could use to look around. Works more or less like a dpad or a tiny analogue stick, depending on the joystick.
Actually, if you have one hat switch I personally prefer using it for trimming. I think most people use them that way? But to each their own. edit: btw that's my current model of joystick - useful because it's *almost* ambidextrous =P
Etsu wrote:
Scytale wrote:TrackIR and pedals aren't important though, Etsu.

Without TrackIR, how do you look around with a joystick?

I realized that there is a free version of TrackIR (here) but it seams that it a little complicated to build a tracking device, and you will need a camera.
I'm left-handed and use my joystick so, so my right hand is free to use the mouse to look around. When I upgrade to a proper joystick + throttles I'm going to have to learn to fly right-handed, but I'll use TrackIR at the same time. Otherwise, maybe the hat switch is preferable? On the gamepad, maybe you can use one of the sticks while pushing a modifier to look around? And just use other keyboard keys for trimming?

Dinosawer wrote:I haven't played a lot KSP with my joystick and I have no idea what trimming even is. So I'm not an expert :ghost:
Sorry - in aircraft, in the context of flight simulators (and not sure if this applies to the mod Etsu is using in KSP), trimming is essentially when you adjust the 'zero setting' on the joystick. For example, if you're flying a jet, being trimmed for straight and level flight means that you've set the control surfaces (wings) to allow you to fly straight and level without having to give a joystick input to keep it so. It reduces pilot workload and is extremely helpful in maintaining controlled flight. I suspect Wikipedia gives a better explanation than I.

I have no problem using the gamepad on Kerbal Space Program, except for the fact that zooming doesn't work in first person view for some reason. (I remember to be able to zoom in and out with the gamepad before, but now is not working any more.)

I haven't found any way to use the right stick to look around in DCS World however. By default you look around with the D-Pad, which of course makes no sense because those are buttons, no axis, and you need axis to look around.

On other news, unfortunately the video tutorial didn't teach me anything and I'm still unable to build a plane capable of taking off from the runaway. (Or the grass on the side, considering that the runaway is too awful at the beginning of the Career mode.) I'm using SETI-Community Tech Tree, SETI-Contracts and SETI-Greenhouse and have plane parts almost from the beginning, which is awesome.

Online Now