Return to “Games”

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Diving Duck:
Amazing you managed a landing without breaking the engine off! It wouldn't matter if you had a full tank in that case either. lol

From the angle Kerbin is to the horizon it looks like you landed near one of Mun's polar region. North or South I can't tell.
Mun's South Polar mountain ranges and deep craters make for some fantastic views. The terrain is very mountainous so landing can be a bit of a challenge.

Construction tips:
Don't put rocket engines directly under orange tanks, especially Mainsails. Always attach gray tanks under the orange ones. THEN place your engines under, or around, the gray ones. There is a overheating glitch I don't think SQUAD has fixed yet.

Use struts (4 symmetry minimum on large diameter tanks) to "weld" tanks together. Great when building longer rockets.

Use the small cubic struts above and below where the stages separate with struts connected to the cubics on either side of the stage.
Helps keep wobble under control.

Add Separatrons to booster rockets to help "separate" spent boosters from your rocketand prevents them from colliding back into your ship.
Add them with the decoupler stages so they will fire when you disconnect.
"Exploration and discovery is not an option we choose—it is a desire written in the human heart. We are that part of creation which seeks to understand all creation."
My KSP Videos

Yeah, I thought it was pretty much game over for old Jeb too! The plan had been to leave half a tank for the return trip, this was all going to plan until the slight oversight with the engine and struts came to light (engine too big/powerful, struts too short). I used all fuel to get a hover about 1m off the ground by pulsing the control. Then ran out and dropped the last meter.

I have to admit it looked like game over for a second until it came to a rest.

Good spotting on the polar area, I was originally aiming for the big crater on the northern polar area. I (Jeb) made it and thankfully over shot to near the edge of it where it wasn't quite as hilly.

Thank you for the advice, I have to admit that I have never considered cube struts or rockets to separate the parts in addition to the standard method, will try tonight if life allows. I did use a few struts on the base and the top which worked a treat as it was the most stable ascent ever. As for the overheating thing, you sir are a genius, I did think at the time it was a bit warm, thankfully I was throttling down as my speed was too high at the time.

I am currently trying to find a way to get another empty rocket there to retrieve my lost green friend! Am thinking a rover/rocket hybrid thing (the KSP forums have inspired me) :D Is it possible to fly an empty capsule without mods? I know you can EVA the Kerbals prior to launch on the ground, but can you boot out all 3 occupants? OR is it possible to lift an empty single seat capsule up there using a satellite core as the brains of the outfit?

You can add as many Command modules as you want. Only the first one will have a crew. Better yet you can use a Hitchhiker Module that can hold up to 4 more Kerbals.
I have been testing this design that is used as a semi-permanent outpost that comes with a VTOL rover docked underneath. Jeb got the idea based off his upstairs garage apartment (behind his parent's house).
I currently have several ongoing missions, one on Minimus and one on Duna's moon Ike. It has made numerous trips to Mun and back.

Here is a view of my (Bill and Jeb) latest mission to Mun's South Pole.
Bill was all panic like when told. "SOUTH POLE! ARE YOU NUTS! WE"LL FALL OFF!" Jeb wasn't sure. Who knew?

WARNING!!! SPOILER ALERT! Complete mission inside this album...
http://imgur.com/a/dr8AP#0
"Exploration and discovery is not an option we choose—it is a desire written in the human heart. We are that part of creation which seeks to understand all creation."
My KSP Videos

Landge wrote:You can add as many Command modules as you want. Only the first one will have a crew. Better yet you can use a Hitchhiker Module that can hold up to 4 more Kerbals.
I have been testing this design that is used as a semi-permanent outpost that comes with a VTOL rover docked underneath. Jeb got the idea based off his upstairs garage apartment (behind his parent's house).
I currently have several ongoing missions, one on Minimus and one on Duna's moon Ike. It has made numerous trips to Mun and back.

Here is a view of my (Bill and Jeb) latest mission to Mun's South Pole.
Bill was all panic like when told. "SOUTH POLE! ARE YOU NUTS! WE"LL FALL OFF!" Jeb wasn't sure. Who knew?

WARNING!!! SPOILER ALERT! Complete mission inside this album...
http://imgur.com/a/dr8AP#0
Wow. I'm super impressed you got them home.

All I've managed to do is keep stranding larger and larger pieces of equipment on the Mun.
Image And Orsey Kerman was tragically catapulted into (a decaying) Mun Orbit by an exploding rover.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Truly inspirational both of you. Congratulations you managed to get my mind mulling over KSP things instead of work things all day! Tonight is going to be spent trying some lander and rover tricks... maybe even make an initial attempt at landing some monstrosity close to our brave green tinged Kerb-o-naut. Knowing me I will somehow slingshot a ship to deep space (wouldn't be the first time) :oops:

Just_Ice_au wrote: Wow. I'm super impressed you got them home.

All I've managed to do is keep stranding larger and larger pieces of equipment on the Mun.
Image And Orsey Kerman was tragically catapulted into (a decaying) Mun Orbit by an exploding rover.
Sweet ride. I wish SQUAD would finish the interior of that cockpit. I typically use the Mk 1 and the Lander Can for rovers just so I can see from the pilot's POV.

For my new design I'm trying to give the base some added maneuverability by adding wheels to the Base Lander part. I can move the whole ship now, while the rover is attached, I just have to be EXTREMELY careful I don't knock the engines off. DOH!

I've tried every new stock wheel combo there is on this ship but for the life of me I can't find one that's better than the original landing gears. The MONSTER sized wheels are too big. The Balloon tires pop too easy AND once popped they can't be repaired. They should be called "WillPops". I wish there as a size in between the monster wheels and the balloon tires that are more durable. Maybe expanded metal like the ones on the original lunar rover would be nice.

Oh by the way sry about Orsey (lol) You should try that on Mimimus. You can get into a stable orbit just using a jetpack. Heck you can probably reach escape velocity!
My KSP Videos

Landge wrote:
Just_Ice_au wrote: Wow. I'm super impressed you got them home.

Sweet ride. I wish SQUAD would finish the interior of that cockpit. I typically use the Mk 1 and the Lander Can for rovers just so I can see from the pilot's POV.

For my new design I'm trying to give the base some added maneuverability by adding wheels to the Base Lander part. I can move the whole ship now, while the rover is attached, I just have to be EXTREMELY careful I don't knock the engines off. DOH!

I've tried every new stock wheel combo there is on this ship but for the life of me I can't find one that's better than the original landing gears. The MONSTER sized wheels are too big. The Balloon tires pop too easy AND once popped they can't be repaired. They should be called "WillPops". I wish there as a size in between the monster wheels and the balloon tires that are more durable. Maybe expanded metal like the ones on the original lunar rover would be nice.

Oh by the way sry about Orsey (lol) You should try that on Mimimus. You can get into a stable orbit just using a jetpack. Heck you can probably reach escape velocity!
mmm, after I manage to get someone back from the moon, I'll probably be heading for Minimus next.

Anyway, you can repair the balloon tyres, you just need to target the structure attaching them to the craft, rather than the tyres themselves.
- The Snark Knight

Hey chaps, thought I'd give an update... after about what feels like a billion exotic (and failed) attempts at getting to the Mun to fetch back my marooned Jeb, I decided to revisit the design that stranded him there in the first place! Basically I adjusted the fuel as suggested, switched to a more suitable engine, shored up a few of the struts, added separation rockets (my new fave thing) and bolted a probe brain on the top with some juice to run it.

Prior to take off, Bill Kerman was unceremoniously thrown out of the hatch to leave it empty and off we went. Orbit went fine thanks to this time not ripping off the rear end of the 2nd stage ;) and then off to the Mun. Orbit of the Mun achieved, adjustments were made to land/hurtle at the spot where Jeb was waiting.
Image As planned (desperately hoped), the 2nd stage lasted to nearly touch down and was separated just short of the waiting Jeb.
Image The rescue ship landed (bounced erratically ripping off a solar panel somehow) to a 'graceful rest' that definitely did not involve pirouetting around on a landing strut a few times what so ever... all around 1Km away from the waiting Jeb :twisted:

Jeb decided now that as he'd been marooned for a few months by this point that it was time to end his trip to the Mun and go for a toddle over to the rescue ship.
Image *note the legs that are actually a decent size this time!

Feeling that now was as good a time as any Jeb climbed the ladder, buckled in and turned the key - whoosh once more he was off. Thankfully the landing had only used about 10-15% of the fuel on board leaving just enough to get away from the Mun's gravity well and roughly aim for Kerbin. The rest of the trip was in essence free fall from there to a nice watery splosh! Yay, my first return trip :D Thanks for the advice - was a big help.
Last edited by Diving Duck on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well done! You did it far more efficiently than I did!

I was tinkering with spaceplanes last night. I'll try and upload a picture tonight, but I'm slowly getting better at them. Still haven't achieved orbit in a single stage, but I'm getting there.

I was also twiddling with a VTOL from the KSP forum, and a Mini Cooper ( :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) someone had cobbled together. Needless to say, the Mini Cooper was much more efficient with a couple of turbojets.

Must be the day for return trips from the Mun.

I decided if I was ever going to get anyone back, I would need a bigger lander. Which meant that each stage would have to scale up appropriately.

It has room for 2 Kerbalnauts, but the thing is actually probe-controlled at this stage.
Image Here you can see Stages 3 and 4, which will put us into a stable Mun orbit. (As a bonus, you can see all the crap I currently have in Kerbin Orbit)
Image Mun deceleration and landing stages.
Image And touchdown on the Mun! Insanely close to the stranded Kerbalnaut camp. (Took a couple of tries, but the extra fuel on the new lander really helped with maneuvering burns). From here, it's just a short walk from the Rover to the rescue ship.
Image And then, the return to Kerbin! We're running a little light on fuel, but we'll use atmospheric braking to slow us down, and then an insane amount of parachutes to get us the rest of the way there.
Image And finally; Touchdown! All (suviving) Mun Kerbalnauts returned safely to Kerbin.

Next stop: Minimus!
- The Snark Knight

Nice job! You've inspired me to attempt pinpoint landings and rotate my Kerbalnauts that have been on Mun for over 5 years now.
Time to kill while I'm waiting for Duna to line up for my next Duna mission. Sending a refueling station into orbit there. To make up for the one that exploded in orbit last time.
Last edited by Landge on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
My KSP Videos

Seems to be the 'in thing' rescuing these plucky adventurers these days. Good on ya chaps - no Kerbal left behind etc!

Now, Landge, I believe as someone with enormous KSP skill that you should demonstrate to us lowly mortals how to land a space bound hotel and rescue all in one go :mrgreen: Go on, you know you want to!!!

Minimus is my next stop (hopefully with a return trip included on the first attempt this time).

lol! Ok since you asked for it...
Over 5 game years ago, around Christmas/New Years holidays, 2012 Earth time.
This was my 2nd attempt to land a "Hotel", as you call it, on Mun.
There were way more that didn't even get that far. The lucky ones managed to survive. Image But there were a lot more that didn't make it. (Pause for a moment of silence).
There were even a few that complained about the mk1 saying; "There's no landing legs! Where are the lights!".
Afraid of a little rough landing are you? Afraid of the dark? What a bunch of babies.
So now they come as standard equipment on Mun Base mk2.

Anyway I digress. Here is my first successful landing of Mun Base... mk2... Image Image Image Image Image Image
My KSP Videos

Online Now