Return to “Games”

Re: Grey Goo

Since my name was mentioned ;), I'd like to reiterate: I don't hate RTS games, or have any kind of negative reaction when they're mentioned.

I think the name of the genre is an oxymoron. And it's not my personal favorite kind of game, or the gameplay mode I most look forward to in LT.

But a good game is a good game. If people enjoy Grey Goo, I'm happy!

Anyone bought it? I haven't played an RTS for... well, years. I remember loving Dune II and C&C way back in the day, and still recall the seemingly interminable wait for Tiberium Sun to be released. But then something went pear shaped, and I never really got into the other games from Westwood. Interested to hear testimony from someone that buys it.

I think Supreme Commander was the last of that school of RTS, mcsven, and even by then it had strayed far from its roots. SupCom was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, so strictly it was a different school... so maybe it was the last of that era. The RTSes since then, except maybe StarCraft 2, were pretty much non-starters.

I'm not sure we'll ever see a return of the genre in it's classic, hilariously unrealistic form.

I played the bits off of TA but hated SupCom.
IMO it was the ultimate grind fest with auto-pouring infinite hordes into the current point of contact. The unit count was too high to assert any meaningful tactical control, unit repairs, or anything else interesting.
It was more like "You 300 bots over there, go fight until you're destroyed."
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Really want this game. Looks like it's going back to the roots of past Westwood games with new concepts thrown in.

However, I don't like it when they only make physical copies for specific countries. In this case Germany gets the nice steel book copy. Wish I could have it shipped here for free. :(
In Josh we trust.

mcsven wrote:Anyone bought it? I haven't played an RTS for... well, years. I remember loving Dune II and C&C way back in the day, and still recall the seemingly interminable wait for Tiberium Sun to be released. But then something went pear shaped, and I never really got into the other games from Westwood. Interested to hear testimony from someone that buys it.
We have everything in common when I read this post, mcsven, apart from the fact that I continued to the end of the line for the C&C franchise and howled with derision and anger at the Tiberian Twilight release which I had pre-ordered, :x

That was the end of my interest in C&C...and my last EA purchase. :angel:
Scytale wrote:Wow TanC, it's been a while since you posted! Welcome back!
I'm not commenting on what TanC has to say. When I do he disappears for long periods of time. Suffice it to say it's always good to see you on the LT forums. :thumbup: :)

Online Now