Return to “Games”

Re: STRAFE®

So (correct me if I'm wrong) 'sympathisch' is a description of a person e.g. they're nice, friendly, sociable, etc; sympathetic means... Like, say you have a friend who has just lost a competition they worked really hard for, and you want to console them; consoling them would make you sympathetic, you would be sympathising, or showing sympathy - you'd be sorry for them. So often the sort of person who is sympathisch is likely to sympathise with a friend :P but they're not the same thing (unless my understanding of sympathisch is wrong?)

Alternatively, sympathise can mean to agree with someone's point of view or ideology.

Another false friend I had trouble was 'blamieren' (to disgrace?) as opposed to 'blame'.

Scytale wrote:So (correct me if I'm wrong) 'sympathisch' is a description of a person e.g. they're nice, friendly, sociable, etc; sympathetic means... Like, say you have a friend who has just lost a competition they worked really hard for, and you want to console them; consoling them would make you sympathetic, you would be sympathising, or showing sympathy - you'd be sorry for them. So often the sort of person who is sympathisch is likely to sympathise with a friend :P but they're not the same thing (unless my understanding of sympathisch is wrong?)
Oh, yeah, now i see it.

But, well, you were close for the right word :P
"to sympathise" would be "sympathisieren"
Aid someone (with positive feelings behind that)
scytale wrote:Alternatively, sympathise can mean to agree with someone's point of view or ideology.
Also this ^

But "sympathisieren" is mostly used in negative terms connected to terrorism/criminality.
Where "smpathisanten" are the ones who sympathise

"Sympathisch" is a pretty subjective term, i in general means more like "likable" or in another usage "ich finde [person] sympathisch" is equivalent to "i think [person] is likeable" or more general "i like [person]"
scytale wrote: Another false friend I had trouble was 'blamieren' (to disgrace?) as opposed to 'blame'.
Yeah, thats definitely a false positive :P

disgrace is the strongest meaning that "blamieren" could take on, but its more like "to make a fool out of yourself/group/family etc".

To disgrace is "eine schande (für [you/family/group] bereiten".

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Scytale wrote:So (correct me if I'm wrong) 'sympathisch' is a description of a person e.g. they're nice, friendly, sociable, etc; sympathetic means... Like, say you have a friend who has just lost a competition they worked really hard for, and you want to console them; consoling them would make you sympathetic, you would be sympathising, or showing sympathy - you'd be sorry for them. So often the sort of person who is sympathisch is likely to sympathise with a friend :P but they're not the same thing (unless my understanding of sympathisch is wrong?)
Oh, yeah, now i see it.

But, well, you were close for the right word :P
"to sympathise" would be "sympathisieren"
Aid someone (with positive feelings behind that)
scytale wrote:Alternatively, sympathise can mean to agree with someone's point of view or ideology.
Also this ^

But "sympathisieren" is mostly used in negative terms connected to terrorism/criminality.

"Sympathisch" is a pretty subjective term, i in general means more like "likable" or in another usage "ich finde [person] sympathisch" is equivalent to "i think [person] is likeable" or more general "i like [person]"
scytale wrote: Another false friend I had trouble was 'blamieren' (to disgrace?) as opposed to 'blame'.
Yeah, thats definitely a false positive :P

disgrace is the strongest meaning that "blamieren" could take on, but its more like "to make a fool out of yourself/group/family etc".

To disgrace is "eine schande (für [you/family/group] bereiten".
That's fascinating! Especially
That's true in English too - "sympathisers" is often a negative term.
To disgrace is "eine schande (für [you/family/group] bereiten
I feel so much at home when seeing a sentence like this - in Afrikaans it'd be " 'n skande (vir [you/family/group]) veroorsaak" (i.e. verursachen?)

Of course, there's also the old chestnut "also" vs "also" :P

Haha yeah! I see what you mean. For me when attempting to speak quick German, I get a problem with false friends with Afrikaans: "wie" (A) -> "wer" (D), and "wie" (D) -> "hoe" (A)

Another thing is word order, where my background helps me with learning German most of the time, except for modal verbs. Ummm this is a contrived example, but in German you might say (correct if I'm wrong):
"Morgen werde ich laufen koennen" (say, after you'd hurt yourself), but in Afrikaans you'd say
"Môre sal ek kan loop" - so sometimes when I'm trying to be all fancy and speak quickly in German I'd end up with "Morgen werde ich koennen laufen"

So it's been released for sometime now, they have made some changes to the game since TB's review.

Death screen: http://i.imgur.com/kHYODyi.png

For those without access to imgur.

"You spilled 678 gallons of blood at the start of your quest back home, but you were gutted in Icarus by CARELESSNESS only 12:50 into your journey. At least you took 131 of those bastards down to hell with you"

TotalBiscuit review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ifaFCh38qw

So 12 minutes of gameplay, what did I experience?

Power weapons are a lot more common than TB stated, the 2 levels I experienced also were dungeon like (This is where part of the rogue-lite elements come into play so expecting levels to have proper flow to them is not something you should do) there didn't really seem to be any broken level generation from what I saw but it's still early days.

I was able to get my hands on a weapon upgrade that switched the assault rifle into a semi auto weapon that shot three bullets at once, it was a very effective means of killing. Paired with the secondary grenade launcher it was a blast to play with.

The UI is a bit busier than I had hoped but it doesn't detract from the gameplay and with many other games I'll need to learn everything about it.

The tutorial was hilarious.

Will post more later.
:D

Online Now