Return to “Games”

Re: Sol Trader

Looking at DF, I would concur that the imaginative retelling by players of scenarios arising from an unexpected discovery of what the simulation is capable of producing is a huge boon to this sort of game.
I suspect that Chris is well aware. :ghost:

edit: Oi, that first sentence is a mouthful, ain't it? What I meant was: gamers telling stories is good stuff.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Looking at DF, I would concur that the imaginative retelling by players of scenarios arising from an unexpected discovery of what the simulation is capable of producing is a huge boon to this sort of game.

edit: Oi, that first sentence is a mouthful, ain't it? What I meant was: gamers telling stories is good stuff.
What? Sounded fine to me.

This may not be the endorsement you're looking for. :D

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Looking at DF, I would concur that the imaginative retelling by players of scenarios arising from an unexpected discovery of what the simulation is capable of producing is a huge boon to this sort of game.
I am :) I need to find better ways of letting the world know about them though! Thinking about some sort story video competition with a nice prize for the best story perhaps...

Any suggestions gratefully received! :)
Maker of Sol Trader and Ealdorlight

chrismdp wrote:
I am :) I need to find better ways of letting the world know about them though! Thinking about some sort story video competition with a nice prize for the best story perhaps...

Any suggestions gratefully received! :)
Try an ingame story submission. With a website that allows the same, and viewing of these from both game and website.
Allow users to rate them, and have a top stories list...
Like popular fanfiction sites.

This is exactly the sort of thing the game inspires.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Eh, I lost 12 hours to this somehow.

It's unusual.... But that's not in any way a bad thing. For some reason the detective work you have to do in finding people reminds me of ye olde Amiga game Liberation: Captive 2.

At the start of the game I borrowed a ship from my friend's mum and promptly flew her around the solar system for a few weeks... By the end of it we were fast friends and I could afford a ship of my own. So I repaired the loaner, took it back to Mars and picked up my own ship. I know a few folks who've invented some spiffy components so I'm saving up, then I'll track them down and buy their bits. Thus far I've not actually fired my guns in anger.

Oh, and I'm a senator. At the age of 18. :twisted:

Spotted a couple o' bugs, nothing too serious.

For those of you who were interested in gameplay videos, I've just posted a talk-through of getting to know a new character on the Steam Store page (it's the second video in the list):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396680

Honest feedback required please! does this help sell the game where plain screenshots aren't really cutting it? Or is it just annoying (hard to judge when it's your own voice!)
Maker of Sol Trader and Ealdorlight

chrismdp wrote:For those of you who were interested in gameplay videos, I've just posted a talk-through of getting to know a new character on the Steam Store page (it's the second video in the list):

Honest feedback required please! does this help sell the game where plain screenshots aren't really cutting it? Or is it just annoying (hard to judge when it's your own voice!)
To be completely honest the first half of the trailer sold me on the game.

I will provide feedback on your gameplay. And possibly provide you with some money, we shall see.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

chrismdp wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:To be completely honest the first half of the trailer sold me on the game.
Oh good :) The launch trailer, or the talk-through trailer I just posted?
The launch trailer, though I just watched the talk-through and it's not half bad either. Shows off the game a little bit and my interest is indeed piqued.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

chrismdp wrote:For those of you who were interested in gameplay videos, I've just posted a talk-through of getting to know a new character on the Steam Store page (it's the second video in the list):

I'm not the best one to comment, perhaps (as I'm quite biased in favour of Sol Trader), but I reckon that 'just annoying' would be an unjust assessment of your talk-through.
And yes, I would say that it communicates the core loop of the game more effectively than screenshots.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Hmm. Within the first 30 minutes of playing I've come to a point where I literally cannot find a person. They live in Tokyo, with a house there but everyone I ask points me to the local hotel or local space port, of which she's at neither of those two.

I quite like the talk through trailer, you voice comes across well. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now