Return to “Games”

Re: Sol Trader

I'd like to help this thread stay focused on Sol Trader, but a couple of quick notes:

1. I've not dug too deeply, but while IANAL, my understanding is that it's not possible to patent a phrase (such as "massively single-player").

You can apply for a trademark for words and short phrases, which is what was behind Zenimax dinging Notch for using the word "Scrolls" in his follow-up to Minecraft, and King going after the team that made The Banner Saga because King thought they controlled the word "saga" based on their use of it in their Candy Crush Saga games.

From reading the very brief linked article (but no more than that yet), I suspect what's actually happened is that Nintendo has applied for a patent on the technical concept of a method to allow actions by one user in a game to be copied over an online connection to another user's game without actually representing the source of those copied actions as a dynamic character in the world of the second player's game. (Otherwise you'd have a "massively multi-player" game.)

IMO there is no way that a patent should be granted on this idea as it is obvious and, assuming Nintendo have implemented this idea in some recent or future game, prior art exists (e.g., Watch Dogs and the "orbs" in Fable II). But I have learned never to underestimate the determination of reviewers at the US Patent and Trademark Office to continue to grant patents on software. (Recent patent reform legislation, such as the PATENT Act, doesn't seem to do anything to stop dumb software patent applications from being granted.) So I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the USPTO has actually granted a patent to Nintendo for copying game data from one player's world to another's without representing that data as a character.

2. I don't disagree with the way Nintendo are defining "massively single-player." Spore also used that phrase for letting players access creatures and buildings created by other players. But neither of those is what I mean when I say massively single-player.

Nintendo's version insists on an online connection, so that data from one person's game can be reflected inside another person's game. What I mean by "massively single-player" is that it's a single-player game that feels massive. There are a vast number of NPCs and dynamic systems and processes in every player's game world, so that the world feels large and active (as in a MMORPG); but every world is unique and standalone.

I've continued developing my design notes for such a game. I've got what I think is a pretty good set of high-level requirements written up, not that that's worth anything by itself. But maybe someone will independently implement a good version of the concept someday.

Assuming some giant game factory isn't allowed to patent it first.

And I appreciate it, Victor.

I'm just frustrated with myself that these ideas I crank out never get implemented as Real Things. I have nothing to show for all my years of behind-the-scenes game design activity, unlike people such as Chris and Josh who've committed to turning their visions into reality.

That's not whinging; it's a simple statement of fact. If I ever manage to do something about it, I imagine you folks here will be among the first to know. ;)

I just get the feeling that you already know most of the answers to the questions you are posing, Flat.

I know very little about the creator of Sol Trader but the man behind Limit Theory was prepared to make the hard decisions and commit to his dreams. You've already worked that out for yourself. So the question you should be asking is, "What is holding me back?" You don't strike me as the indecisive type but is it fear. Josh admits to being nervous/apprehensive when he pushed that button to start his KS. You being a fair bit older than Josh with commitments that he doesn't have could be a factor in your problem. You have a "real" castle to defend. :)

If you ever do decide to do what some of the indie developers who frequent these forums have done and start your own KS I think it would be fair to say that this orange knight would be willing to pledge. Especially if it is the ambitious enterprise you discuss in that blog. ;) :D

Speaking as someone who's in his late 30s and married with three kids, it is truly terrifying starting your own Kickstarter and going out on a limb building a game. The rewards are great: it's extremely satisfying when people support you, but it's a real rollercoaster of emotion!

Happy to give any help/advice I can if you're considering it! :)

Chris

--
Chris Parsons
http://soltrader.net

It's none of my business if a certain party has taken advantage of your kind and generous offer or not, Chris, but I would like to say thank you for making that offer.

:thumbup: :angel:

:think: I believe I made a mistake in not giving my pledge to your project. If I have an excuse it's that I tend to be more wary when it comes to KS nowadays.

And the fact that I now have more unplayed games in my collection than could be considered reasonable. :oops:

Victor Tombs wrote:It's none of my business if a certain party has taken advantage of your kind and generous offer or not, Chris, but I would like to say thank you for making that offer.

:thumbup: :angel:

:think: I believe I made a mistake in not giving my pledge to your project. If I have an excuse it's that I tend to be more wary when it comes to KS nowadays.

And the fact that I now have more unplayed games in my collection than could be considered reasonable. :oops:
Well, there's still time :D https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/85 ... sol-trader

I'm not really on KS to raise money to complete the project. It's not vapourware: it's almost done anyway and will be out on Steam in April/May next year. I'm really looking for a beta community to help shape the game during its final few months of development. (It's working so far: there are already 71 people backing at beta level on KS along with a few direct via the website.)

Anyway, sales pitch over ;) if anyone wants to ask any other game-related questions, please do shout!

Chris

chrismdp wrote:Well, there's still time :D https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/85 ... sol-trader

I'm not really on KS to raise money to complete the project. It's not vapourware: it's almost done anyway and will be out on Steam in April/May next year. I'm really looking for a beta community to help shape the game during its final few months of development. (It's working so far: there are already 71 people backing at beta level on KS along with a few direct via the website.)Anyway, sales pitch over ;) if anyone wants to ask any other game-related questions, please do shout!Chris
Consider my previous error of not pledging to be rectified now, Chris. :thumbup:

Although I would urge you not to count on me as far as the beta feedback is concerned. :angel:

:D That "beautifully bound & printed hardback copy of the game manual & Sol Trader guide" was a powerful magnet for a collector like me, Chris, and a personal thank you from you was the clincher. ;) :angel:

Josh knows full well how irresistible I find the physical rewards to be. *chuckle*

wizaerd wrote:I backed it, but I'm not all that interested in being a beta tester. I barely have enough time to play an actual game, much less test one... Sorry. :(
:lol: You're not alone. :P Good intentions are still pretty good by themselves. Not everyone has time to play.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Yeah, I get that. Some people love the idea of trying a game early, others just don't have the time. Totally ok. It's an opportunity to get the beta, not a requirement!

I'm looking forward to the physical book reward, too. I need to find some website to make a mockup of it and send it me so I can show people what it's going to look like!
Maker of Sol Trader and Ealdorlight

Online Now