Return to “Games”

Re: Sol Trader

This is outstanding customer service, Chris.

I wish I could hire you for my day job. Not only do you obviously have the right priorities when it comes to your customers, I desperately need someone who can figure out how to use Jenkins to do automated builds of a major portal application I manage. :D

In the meantime, it's pretty much a law of game development that you can't please everyone. But you are pleasing some people. You created a game that does something different, you got it to a playable state and released it on Steam -- that's an achievement not many people can claim.

So squash a few more bugs, enjoy the positive comments, then have yourself a well-deserved rest. And then let's see what's next. :)

Today I met a 6 year old in space.
He had inherited a reasonably good ship --better than my loaner, as it had an average quality weapon and a passenger cabin-- and had
taken the initiative to use it for trade (he had some aluminum in the hold).
The oddity of this spectacle naturally made me want to befriend him and learn more of his story. ie. what sort of parents had spawned this prodigy? :squirrel:
Spoiler:      SHOW
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

chrismdp wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:Today I met a 6 year old in space.
That is brilliant.

Although a bug.

Perhaps I won't fix it :D
NOTABUG!
Feature, you should instead upgrade it, and include more content specifically to allow for it.
Meeting a 6 year old pirate lord would be a quite rude shock.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Talvieno wrote:Maybe a little older than six? Ten maybe. He should at least know how to read and understand basic math and navigation. :lol:
Nay, thats for the old crew to know and do.
The Captain just makes the decisions :P
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Maybe a little older than six? Ten maybe. He should at least know how to read and understand basic math and navigation. :lol:
Nay, thats for the old crew to know and do.
The Captain just makes the decisions :P
Alternatively, shipboard AI. This is a plot device that I've seen before, come to think of it.

A Sol Trader 1.1 preview has been uploaded exhibiting the revamp of the [game's core] conversation mechanic! :squirrel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPb1u7MUm9k
I've been working very hard on Sol Trader for the last three months. In order to avoid burnout
and continue releasing regular updates for you all, I need to take a break. I'm therefore taking
the family away on holiday for two weeks at the beginning of August.

I'd love to get 1.1 out to you all before I go away, but that wouldn't be sensible. I want to release
a stable working build that you can all enjoy, and I won't be able to fix issues or respond to
questions whilst I'm away.

I've therefore decided to release 1.1 in mid-August. It'll go live pretty much as soon as I'm back
from holiday. I'm really sorry about the delay, but it's worth it to ensure that I can respond quickly
to any questions or problems that come up. I hope you all understand.

Thanks for your continued support of the game!

Until next time,
Chris
:thumbup:

Sol Trader 1.1 is out and it deserves your attention. The conversation system overhaul is far more game-changing than I could have imagined.
It is easily the most impressive dialogue mini-game that I have ever encountered. :wtf:
(it looks like a simple form of bejewelled or tetris, but quite cleverly demands a unique tactical approach to each dialogue)

I found myself getting drawn in deeper and deeper: beating my head against the wall of my character's super-crabby uncle, chatting with the barmaid about my parent's ships, cleverly finessing my way into the good graces of a stiff businesswomen, losing an afternoon to a long gab with an old gossip (and then discovering with a pang of real shock that the friend she talked endlessly about had died tragically less than a year previous)...
:squirrel:

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Sol Trader 1.1 is out and it deserves your attention. The conversation system overhaul is far more game-changing than I could have imagined.
It is easily the most impressive dialogue mini-game that I have ever encountered. :wtf:
(it looks like a simple form of bejewelled or tetris, but quite cleverly demands a unique tactical approach to each dialogue)

I found myself getting drawn in deeper and deeper: beating my head against the wall of my character's super-crabby uncle, chatting with the barmaid about my parent's ships, cleverly finessing my way into the good graces of a stiff businesswomen, losing an afternoon to a long gab with an old gossip (and then discovering with a pang of real shock that the friend she talked endlessly about had died tragically less than a year previous)...
Thanks - what a nice post to wake up to! So glad you are enjoying it. I put a lot of work into it and I'm pleased with the results :)
Maker of Sol Trader and Ealdorlight

chrismdp wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:Sol Trader 1.1 is out and it deserves your attention. The conversation system overhaul is far more game-changing than I could have imagined.

Thanks - what a nice post to wake up to! So glad you are enjoying it. I put a lot of work into it and I'm pleased with the results :)
I think you need to include that quote in your marketing somewhere... it makes me want to buy it... :thumbup:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now