Return to “Games”

Re: Aurora 4X

You have managed to get me to finally commit and start a game in Aurora.
From here I know not how far I will get, but I do have a game started now. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Cornflakes_91 wrote:I take it that you live in a german speaking part of hungary?

"Bayern ausführung A" class cruisers?
^^

And dat BMW engines :P
i wonder when those tickle down to their cars
Nah, I just enjoy fiddling about with names and designations, much better than '384EP Military Engine', isn't it? :P And I dunno, when one engine weights 1200 tons and works on plasma, I'd be questioning its street legality.
I might be just a poser, but 'Krupp-Turm mit einzel 20cm Lasergeschütz' just sounds menacing!

Playing on a 768 screen btw, and Aurora needs 800 pixels in height to work. Working around with Infinite Screen. Inconvenient!

Anyway, my beautiful cruisers wiped the floor with the slimy slug aliens. Their puny strength 3 warheads barely made a dent in the 3-layer armor (warhead strength always stacks into a pyramid when calculating craters, so square numbers work best in terms of depth), and my missiles made quick work of them. Didn't have real need for point defense or anything, but I learned that my ship's magazines are very shallow, so my fleet is now complemented by a collier. A bit of... persuasion earned me all the - heavily irradiated - colonies, tech, and horribly outdated ships. Spoils of war!
Now to just get them slugs in line and make them behave.

I kinda screamed like a little girl when around 30 1000 ton ships appeared very close to my face - didn't even have that many missiles... Somebody fire!

Code: Select all

Konigsberg Ausf. B class Light Cruiser    7 200 tons     230 Crew     1456.6 BP      TCS 144  TH 384  EM 0
2666 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 3-33     Shields 0-0     Sensors 55/55/0/0     Damage Control Rating 7     PPV 12
Maint Life 4.85 Years     MSP 885    AFR 59%    IFR 0.8%    1YR 62    5YR 933    Max Repair 315 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Spare Berths 1    
Magazine 110    

Junkers Jumo 7200M-E6/1200t     Max Ship Size 7200 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
BMW MP384-1200t/M2 (1)    Power 384    Fuel Use 45.6%    Signature 384    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 350 000 Litres    Range 19.2 billion km   (83 days at full power)

G6 RsaRk 88 (2)    Missile Size 6    Rate of Fire 60
Zeiss FKg 4k-310M/250t (1)     Range 309.9m km    Resolution 80
Zeiss FKg 1k-77M/125t (1)     Range 77.5m km    Resolution 20
G6 R.Gr. 86 (HL9/260M) (18)  Speed: 21 300 km/s   End: 203.3m    Range: 259.8m km   WH: 9    Size: 6    TH: 71/42/21

Zeiss ASg 1k-75M/350t (1)     GPS 2940     Range 72.3m km    Resolution 20
Zeiss ASg 4k-310M/750t (1)     GPS 25200     Range 309.9m km    Resolution 80
Zeiss THSg S55/250t (1)     Sensitivity 55     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  55m km
Zeiss EMSg S55/250t (1)     Sensitivity 55     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  55m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
The ship that won this conflict, for your viewing pleasure. The new collier has everything stripped out, to make room for ten magazines instead of the one on the base version. No losses on this side. Can't say the same about the other.
Image I'll get the salvage op going.

Other news - Moon and Mars are fully terraformed, breathable, warm. The new colony is whining about protection. We found a huge wreck and a ruined ancient alien city as well!
Things going back into the peaceful groove once again. Exploration, exploiting sorely needed mineral sources, and so on... okay, fine, can't wait to find another alien to stomp.

[colonies][system map]
Silverware wrote:You have managed to get me to finally commit and start a game in Aurora.
From here I know not how far I will get, but I do have a game started now. :V
Good luck! You gonna need it.
panic

And I dunno, when one engine weights 1200 tons and works on plasma, I'd be questioning its street legality.
No you wouldn't. Or at least, I wouldn't.

I'd be too busy questioning the guy driving it, wondering where he got it from, and how I could fit it on a motorcycle. :shh:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Idunno wrote:
And I dunno, when one engine weights 1200 tons and works on plasma, I'd be questioning its street legality.

I'd be too busy questioning the guy driving it, wondering where he got it from, and how I could fit it on a motorcycle. :shh:
I knew you'd appear!

Well, space motorcycles are fun. Pity Aurora barely does the whole 'go fast' thing, I'd totes make something like that for you :D Well, to be completely honest, I have something called a 'missle' that goes super fast and is relatively small... Wanna cowboy hat to go with it?
panic

Mistycica wrote:
Idunno wrote:

I knew you'd appear!

Well, space motorcycles are fun. Pity Aurora barely does the whole 'go fast' thing, I'd totes make something like that for you :D Well, to be completely honest, I have something called a 'missle' that goes super fast and is relatively small... Wanna cowboy hat to go with it?
Yes please. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Short update. Nothing happened. I mean, the aliens are at the verge of revolting I guess, but I'm prepared to nuke them again. Exploration is going slowly, systems are vast and scary. Founds a few unidentified wrecks, the all new salvage ships didn't pick up anything useful from them, just raw materials, something we really need. Research speed, implementation speed, and minerals are all keeping us back, but slowly we are getting a tighter grip on the area.

But we. Got. New engines!! They are big and shiny and fast and already outsourced the tech to BMW and Maybach and Benz! Internal Containment Fusion!

Code: Select all

Hipper Ausf. C class Deep Space Survey Ship    3 200 tons     90 Crew     541.2 BP      TCS 64  TH 180  EM 0
2812 km/s    JR 1-50     Armour 1-19     Shields 0-0     Sensors 55/55/1/1     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 0
Maint Life 9.9 Years     MSP 423    AFR 20%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 8    5YR 117    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 48 months    Spare Berths 0    

Junkers Jumo 3200M-E8/400t     Max Ship Size 3200 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 1
BMW IC180-900t/M1 (1)    Power 180    Fuel Use 8.7%    Signature 180    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 200 000 Litres    Range 129.3 billion km   (532 days at full power)

Zeiss THSg S55/250t (1)     Sensitivity 55     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  55m km
Zeiss EMSg S55/250t (1)     Sensitivity 55     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  55m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
The upgraded Hipper sports 200 extra tons and a significantly more compact jump engine. The real estate thus saved houses an even larger new engine (old 750 to 900 tons), and a couple of passive sensors bled straight down from the Königsberg, cross compatible. Finally the survey ships are decently fast, have an even better range now, and are able to spot capital colonies from any point in a system with the 250 ton EM sensor - sensitivity 55 from the old little 8 is something of an improvement!

Ahem. Bit overexcited, I imagine this ship to be really pretty. Yes, engine upgrades are a big thing in Aurora :3 Gotta push deeper to find more aliens to abuse and raid, building my own colonies is tedious.
panic

Just bumping in here to say that Aurora is the ONLY Sci-Fi computer game that accurately ( from my experience as an automotive engineer anyways ) portrait real engineering challenges.

There is absolutely zero no-brainier choices for you to make in design, everything can be tweaked and needs to be balanced depending on role and what you want out of the ship. It basically comes down to selecting exactly how much of the ship you need to be devoted to propulsion, fuel, armor, weapons, ammo, sensors, cargo, crew-space, active defenses and the list goes on. Most of these systems can also be tweaked further in many steps to get very different performance ( assuming you have time and research to do so ).

The freedom you have in ship design can be overwhelming at first, no interface tells you your ship must have an engine, so if you forget it, congratulations you just got yourself a space station. Now also design a tug to tow it to where it's needed! :D

Or you want your ship propulsion to be fuel efficient and reach far without running out of fuel?
Sure research a single big and efficient engine, but know that it will be:
- Slow ( because you wanted it fuel efficient )
- Difficulty to maintain ( due to large spare-parts need if it breaks down from wear and tear )
- Expensive to replace, research and upgrade ( compared to several smaller engines )
- Risky in a combat situation where you can lose all your propulsion in one hit, or if unlucky even have a catastrophic reactor explosion of epic proportions tearing the ship apart.

Almost any part can go on any ship, so do you compromise and use one standard engine for all ships? ( just put different amounts of them) Or do you design tailored engines for all ships to get the most out of every drop of fuel?

Do you upgrade your ships gradually with new parts as they become available or do you scrap them and replace them with brand new ships?

Do you build many carriers with swarms of fighters or a single huge flagship that you need decades of expansion for the shipyards and maintenance bases to accommodate?

Do you mine closer sources with less efficiency or venture further out to find the rich sources once those nearby are depleted?

So many exiting engineering, management and logistics challenges once you get a interstellar empire going, and get into the game.

You've just accurately described both the strength and weakness of Aurora 4X. ;)

There is one other game I know of that offers a roughly similar amount of ship design detail (though not as much in terms of run-time dynamic effects): the pen-and-paper tabletop RPG Traveller.

Years ago I started working on implementing the MegaTraveller version into a computer game. I got as far as building the basic universe and map displays, and the ship and character design tools. Ultimately I was going to then include these as tools in a single-player party-based CRPG, but I haven't gotten around to that part yet. :oops:

Here's a screenshot of the ship designer with a sample ship I just built:
Image I'm sure Aurora has more details, but MegaTraveller's ship design rules offered a pretty decent amount of customization.

For what it's worth, the character design rules for Traveller remain some of the most detailed ever created for a game. Here's an example of the final character sheet for an Imperial Navy chief I just rolled up:
Image There were two official single-player computer games made based on MegaTraveller. I wish there were more -- it's an amazing game system.

But of course Aurora is pretty amazing, too. :)

Flatfingers wrote:There were two official single-player computer games made based on MegaTraveller. I wish there were more
Add it as an idea to the Backseat Game Development thread ;)

Aurora is a neat sounding game, but I cannot for the life of me, get into the complexities of it.
But then I enjoy things where design is the lesser part of the strategy.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:There were two official single-player computer games made based on MegaTraveller. I wish there were more
Add it as an idea to the Backseat Game Development thread ;)
The idea I did suggest there got zero traction. I'm licking my wounds and waiting to see how the current project goes. ;)
Silverware wrote:Aurora is a neat sounding game, but I cannot for the life of me, get into the complexities of it.
But then I enjoy things where design is the lesser part of the strategy.
I could maybe get into its complexities if it didn't smack me in the face with all of them the moment the game starts. That's a wall I'm just not going to try to climb.

And that's not a criticism. Developers who are up-front that they're making a game for themselves to enjoy aren't under any requirement to make that game enjoyable by someone else, even if they do release that game to the public for free.

There is a difference between the game displaying all complexity and you having to understand it all at once though :D

Just accept there are concept you don't need to understand and start learning one or few areas at a time. Especially the ones where you have some input like research and industry and how they play together are good places to start.

I felt everything with Aurora was actually very logical and made sense, and the interface even if it got alot of buttons and fields going, is actually pretty straight forward with what does what.

Decided to give this game another try and, so far at least, it's not going to badly.
Turned of the generation of non player races on game start so I don't have to worry about an alien armada knocking on my door while I'm still trying to figure out which way to point my rockets to get to space(With the complexity, I'm actually surprised that I don't have to do that :lol: )

Anyway, got 2 survey ships that explored everything except 2 comets and found a nice dwarf planet with a huge Duranium deposit. Already sent my first auto mine as well as a mas driver to it. Everyone on earth were quite pleased to note that I did, in fact, also add a mass driver to Earth BEFORE I started to hurl chunks of ore at it. Though I hear it's quite fun to donate resources to a colony that has angered you and which doesn't yet have a mass driver of there own.

Right now I'm worrying about my two transport ships getting back to Earth because someone forgot to add a Refuel at Earth order in to their cycle of pickup and drop off orders. And since my ships only have about 20% fuel left after one round trip. . . This could get interesting.

Of course if they do run out of fuel then it wont be the first rescue operation I had to mount. Remember those 2 survey ships? Turns out that a Refuel when 10% left order is not sufficient if they are out surveying in the area of Pluto. It ran out of fuel at about Mars orbit with Earth on the other side of the sun. Luckily a manual order to my other ship had fueled up with, what I thought, plenty of fuel to get back to earth. Yea, I had to refuel it 3 more times. Either I'm looking at my range to earth incorrectly or the estimated range on the ship screen is out. Ended up having the other ship follow it all the way in and refueled them both while they were there.

Ok, that ended up longer than I planned :wtf:
Actually only came by to drop this link to the Let's Play playlist by EnterElysium.
He actually takes the time to say why he does what he does and reasons out his decisions out loud which is quite useful.

On a side not, I used the portable version of the game but still had to change my decimal format to a period instead of a comma to open certain screens. Also got a missing dll file error which was actually in the install directory already so a quick dll register had that fixed.

Prack wrote: On a side not, I used the portable version of the game but still had to change my decimal format to a period instead of a comma to open certain screens. Also got a missing dll file error which was actually in the install directory already so a quick dll register had that fixed.
Good luck with the game, God knows you're gonna need it :lol:

I'm also using the portable fixed whatever version, and it works fine without a localization change, so no idea why things aren't turning out as well as they should.

I also should check that playlist out, my smarts end at the task group management window :squirrel:
panic

Online Now