StarCraft II

Discuss games not related to Limit Theory.

Re: StarCraft II

Postby Damocles » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:12 am

Pretty impressive how they have kept the old artstyle almost 1:1.
Same colors, shapes etc. At first glance it looks exactly like the original, just with way more detail.

When I see a lot of remakes, they try to "improve" on the art by introducing their own new interpretation on the style, but often making it just
feel stange or even uglier and uncanny.

I wish one could do a HD remake of Fallout 1 then. (keeping the same artstyle sounds etc, but maybe fixing some issues like Ian running in front of my SMG all the time)
Damocles
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Dinosawer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 am

Aye, the good remaster makes the game look like you remember it through the glasses of time. :D

The original Starcraft:Brood War is now patched for modern systems.
Oh, and free. That too. :ghost:
And even Tal's laptop can run it
https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Dinosawer
Admiral

Postby Cornflakes_91 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:54 am

uuuh, shiny.
Cornflakes_91
Admiral

Postby Dinosawer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:55 am

Well, it's not the remaster yet, but it's also fun (especially the glitches they fixed and windowed mode) :)
Dinosawer
Admiral

Postby Flatfingers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:42 pm

I was reading up on the 4K remaster -- and since I never played the Brood War expansion, maybe I'll do that tonight -- when I read this "feature" on the StarCraft remaster page:

Blizzard Friends and Matchmaking

Uh-oh.

If that just means a multiplayer option for those who want it, cool. But if it's marketing-speak for requiring an always-connected leash (because the only thing that Blizzard cares about is pushing usage of Battle.net), then I'm out.

That would be disappointing. I'd enjoy replaying an HD StarCraft, but not if it needlessly forces me to be logged in.

Watching....
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral

Postby Dinosawer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Since you don't need to be online to play the Starcraft 2 campaign, I don't see why they'd do it in Brood War.

That line is mostly important for competitive multiplayer, because Brood war had no matchmaking at all. You just play random people. And it was through poorly secured channels with apparently a lot of hackers.
Dinosawer
Admiral

Postby Flatfingers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm familiar with StarCraft as a competitive multiplayer game, especially in South Korea. And I think that's fantastic.

I just get twitchy at any hints of requiring perma-connectivity. Way too many publishers are demanding that for single-player games today.

So it's not crazy-talk to cast a suspicious eye over at Blizzard, whom I'm convinced considers every one of its games, from WoW to Diablo to StarCraft to Overwatch, to be nothing more than come-ons to get people signed up on Battle.net.

If I'm wrong about always-connected regarding the remastered StarCraft, awesome. :) But I think I will just wait until it's actually released before I jump on that train....
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral

Postby Flatfingers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:59 pm

Speaking of StarCraft in South Korea, I don't know if anyone else has been following the craziness there, with the President being forced to resign, but...

...one of the candidates for the job has released a StarCraft map as a campaign advertisement.

It's just a mostly-empty map with resources arranged in the middle to spell out the candidate's name. So not exactly playable.

Still, somebody thinks this is a good form of voter outreach, which gives you a hint at just how big StarCraft is there.
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral

Previous

Return to Games