Return to “Games”

Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#47
Katorone wrote:What bothers me the most with Star Citizen that it gives me a F2P vibe. Exclusive content for people who invest, exclusive ships, etc. It just rubs me the wrong way somehow.
I completely agree. For me, it's a mix of F2P (Free 2 Play) and P2W (Pay 2 Win).

The only saving grace for me, is that you can run your own server. So, if I want to play with my close knit friends only, I don't have to worry about things like that.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#48
DWMagus wrote:
Katorone wrote:What bothers me the most with Star Citizen that it gives me a F2P vibe. Exclusive content for people who invest, exclusive ships, etc. It just rubs me the wrong way somehow.
I completely agree. For me, it's a mix of F2P (Free 2 Play) and P2W (Pay 2 Win).

The only saving grace for me, is that you can run your own server. So, if I want to play with my close knit friends only, I don't have to worry about things like that.
Exactly. I'm a bit wary of the exclusive stuff too, as it has a smell of Pay 2 Win. But running a private server might fix that. So buying the game and joining (or even running) some private server is what I may do...
...after my next PC upgrade, my current rig will probably NOT run Star Citizen :shock: .
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#49
I've got a server in Germany I'm happy to let you guys use... Well, depending on how much resources it requires.
Currently it runs a few small minecraft servers without hickups. Soon there will be a Starbound server on there. Hopefully someday a Blockscape or even a Planet Explorers server. It mostly depends on who wants to run what, since I have no time any more to manage anything but the dedicated server itself.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#50
I have a server as well. Depending on my interest level of Star Citizen, I may end up doing quite a bit. I have no issues with managing the software-side of the server.

Managed a tekkit minecraft server for a while.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#51
Katorone wrote:I've got a server in Germany I'm happy to let you guys use... Well, depending on how much resources it requires.
Currently it runs a few small minecraft servers without hickups. Soon there will be a Starbound server on there. Hopefully someday a Blockscape or even a Planet Explorers server. It mostly depends on who wants to run what, since I have no time any more to manage anything but the dedicated server itself.
DWMagus wrote:I have a server as well. Depending on my interest level of Star Citizen, I may end up doing quite a bit. I have no issues with managing the software-side of the server.

Managed a tekkit minecraft server for a while.
Nice to know there's servers available for use outside the core game. :thumbup:

Perhaps a little LT get-together sometime after the game launches? :mrgreen:
In Josh we trust.
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#53
Did anyone catch the hangar reveal today? Is there anyone here who attended Gamescon and see the events? Having pledged for a Freelancer myself I'm pumped about finally being able to "kick the tires" sorta Sit in the pilot's seat and honk the horn or make pew pew pew and rocket sounds. To have a working module 6 months into development, it made me think, Josh's was out in 3 wasn't it? :) It looked like Chris and the team were really humbled by the enthusiastic crowd. It's amazing the amount of money Star Citizen has made, over 16 million so far. Goes to show, to paraphrase Blazing Saddles, "We don't need no stinkin publishers". Tell use your stories. Post pics if you have any.
Last edited by Landge on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Exploration and discovery is not an option we choose—it is a desire written in the human heart. We are that part of creation which seeks to understand all creation."
My KSP Videos
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#54
I couldn't get to Gamescon but I did watch the live feed and you said it all Landge. Chris was almost in tears at the reception he and the team received. I was in awe looking at the incredible amount of detail in the demonstrated hangers. I really look forward to taking that vehicle for a spin. :) I am envious of anyone who managed to attend. :)

Josh is one of those people you rarely meet in life. I continue to be impressed by his skill, commitment and his generosity. I am no coder but I enjoy the enthusiasm he conveys and the way he treats any member who asks for his assistance in their own endeavours. I sound like a fanboy. :D
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#55
Victor Tombs wrote:I couldn't get to Gamescon but I did watch the live feed and you said it all Landge. Chris was almost in tears at the reception he and the team received. I was in awe looking at the incredible amount of detail in the demonstrated hangers. I really look forward to taking that vehicle for a spin. :) I am envious of anyone who managed to attend. :)
I haven't seen the coverage on Gamescon but I'm excited for the hangar module. From skimming through the news on it it looks to be a good promotional tool to help boost the pledges. Can't wait to look around my ship!
Victor Tombs wrote:Josh is one of those people you rarely meet in life. I continue to be impressed by his skill, commitment and his generosity. I am no coder but I enjoy the enthusiasm he conveys and the way he treats any member who asks for his assistance in their own endeavours. I sound like a fanboy. :D
You and me both are fanboys...Josh is a genius and a humble one at that! I can only hope he would want to teach a few classes in procedural generation and I'll definitely sign up for it as he's able to explain difficult concepts to laymen (read: me). :lol:
In Josh we trust.
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#57
Victor Tombs wrote:So what are the chances that the Star Citizen community will crash the servers during the hangar module download? Do you think CIG will handle it this time? :lol:
Highly doubt the servers would be able to handle everyone at once. I would think they would want to release it in batches to ease the load somewhat... :lol:
In Josh we trust.
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#58
TanC wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:So what are the chances that the Star Citizen community will crash the servers during the hangar module download? Do you think CIG will handle it this time? :lol:
Highly doubt the servers would be able to handle everyone at once. I would think they would want to release it in batches to ease the load somewhat... :lol:
That would make sense but this being their brand new setup with much increased server capacity they may want to test it under pressure. We await the results of whatever decision they make. It wouldn't seem right if everything went smoothly though. :lol:
Post

Re: Star Citizen and question for Josh

#60
JoshParnell wrote:Well it's gone smoothly enough for me!! I'm inside and enjoying my precious
Well it's 2.31am in the morning here in the UK and I have just logged on to the RSI site. It appeared to be going very well right up to the point of downloading the installer. Curses! :wtf: :thumbdown:

I hate it when you are smug Mr Parnell. :lol:

I notice there are a few members offering their services to help ease the load on the main site which, according to members comments on the forum, are doing a fine job. :)

I am too tired to care so I will try again at a more godly hour.

Thanks for the sneak peek Josh, your hanger looks gorgeous. :thumbup: :D :wave:

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron