Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Kambalo wrote:They should have made this game subscription based like Eve Online.
Nothing stops you from subscribing today.
And it still might be for the final game, I don't think they have announced any final payment model. But instead of subscriptions, I would actually rather have a model where we pay for ingame time. Subscriptions are just too greedy.
old-fashioned :ghost:

plillevold wrote:And it still might be for the final game, I don't think they have announced any final payment model. But instead of subscriptions, I would actually rather have a model where we pay for ingame time. Subscriptions are just too greedy.
It will not be subscriptions to play the game. If you own the game you can play it, like any other game. Subscriptions right now are just to pay secondary material, like Youtube specials, commercials and interviews.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

The gaming community has been weary of Derek Smart for awhile though. I'd take the article with a grain of salt. :?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:The gaming community has been weary of Derek Smart for awhile though. I'd take the article with a grain of salt. :?

That may be, and while he may have his own ax to grind, he does bring up some very valid points that can't be summarily dismissed just because he is the one who happens to be pointing them out.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Kambalo wrote:that will destroy MMORPG for good.
what has that article to do with MMORPGs?

i mean, yes, if SC fails it will likely blast crowdfunding for games, but why should it affect MMORPGs?
It will damage all the future kickstarters funding projects. Seriously affecting the future of any MMO

Poet1960 wrote:
DWMagus wrote:The gaming community has been weary of Derek Smart for awhile though. I'd take the article with a grain of salt. :?
That may be, and while he may have his own ax to grind, he does bring up some very valid points that can't be summarily dismissed just because he is the one who happens to be pointing them out.
Yes, SC is very ambitious. But Derek Smarts announcement that SC will fail still seems a bit premature and sensationalist.

After all, each individual part has been done before on a much smaller budget. There are
  • space sims like X3
  • shooters like Half-life
  • and action MMOs like Firefall.
To fulfill its promises, Star Citizen needs to combine those and perhaps crank up the graphics a bit more, since RSI already made big waves about that. Difficult but IMHO not impossible.
I think at this point that RSI cannot afford big missteps anymore, they have promised too much already for that. But assuming that development goes without major bad surprises, I still expect a successful launch :) .

Rabiator wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:
Yes, SC is very ambitious. But Derek Smarts announcement that SC will fail still seems a bit premature and sensationalist.

After all, each individual part has been done before on a much smaller budget. There are
  • space sims like X3
  • shooters like Half-life
  • and action MMOs like Firefall.
To fulfill its promises, Star Citizen needs to combine those and perhaps crank up the graphics a bit more, since RSI already made big waves about that. Difficult but IMHO not impossible.
I think at this point that RSI cannot afford big missteps anymore, they have promised too much already for that. But assuming that development goes without major bad surprises, I still expect a successful launch :) .

Some of the points he brings up are valid. Such as, the original goal was what? $500K? He got that and much more. So let's see, to create the game he promised, he said that $500k was enough to do what he promised. Sooooo....how is it that he is at the approx. $85 million point and all you have is a thing that is the equivalent of a car dealerships showroom floor for ships, for a game that doesn't even exist yet after all this time? Why is it necessary to even HAVE a new office in Germany? How much money does that cost?

Those are just a few that stick out in my mind after reading the article. Thing is, he seems to have done his homework as well, since I'm pretty sure he anticipated all the people "calling him out," on anything he might say. Is his interpretation of what seems to be factual evidence the correct one? Maybe, maybe not, but there seems to be a strong possibility that he is not far off the mark in some respects.

Roberts seems to be upping the ante every time he gets more money, which on the surface might be reasonable, but at what point is enough enough? He seems to be working on all kinds of stuff, but none of it seems to actually be the game itself, just peripheral things, designed apparently, to get people to buy more fluff for a game that doesn't even exist yet. I mean, think about that.

Also, the point DS brings up about licensing the engine is correct. So it kinda makes you wonder what the heck is really going on, especially if people actually are bailing and him putting his supposed wife and brother in top positions is true.
Last edited by Poet1960 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Poet1960 wrote:
Here's the thing, I'm not arguing that he's wrong. It's more about the style of which the argument came across. Okay, maybe I just don't like the guy.

At this point, I'm also in the "SC will fail" camp because of many issues (release date completely aside). But this is because I'm getting burned out on all these big names promising more and more and not just failing to live up to expectations, but failing to do anything other than a dog and pony show.

Everything is VERY reminescent of the Infinium Phantom
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
Poet1960 wrote:
Here's the thing, I'm not arguing that he's wrong. It's more about the style of which the argument came across. Okay, maybe I just don't like the guy.

At this point, I'm also in the "SC will fail" camp because of many issues (release date completely aside). But this is because I'm getting burned out on all these big names promising more and more and not just failing to live up to expectations, but failing to do anything other than a dog and pony show.

Everything is VERY reminescent of the Infinium Phantom
Yeah, I agree with you there, the tone is very....how shall I say it.....caustic, but you know what, he pretty much tells you up front he isn't trying to be "professional," or politically correct, so at least he's honest, which is more than I can say for a lot of other people who like to use weasel words to mask their true intentions or goals.

Online Now