Return to “Games”

Re: Star Citizen

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:08 am
In the case of both Limit Theory and Star Citizen, I enjoyed the ride immensely (I mean, just look at my post count ) and was devastated when Josh announced that he couldn't continue his dream project. I was devastated not because I would never get to play LT - because honestly, there are some fairly similar (if not as pretty) games out there - Avorion springs to mind as an example, and of course the original Freelancer. Rather, I was devastated because I feared what would happen to the community if Josh and LT weren't still around to hold them together.

Turns out, the community is still sticking around to some degree. And that makes me happy.
I was more devastated by the demise of Limit Theory and the end of the Freelancer replacement dream than what has happened to the Star Citizen project. It doesn't take a genius to realize how much this hurt/hurts Josh on a personal level. :(

I've sent quite a few dimes in the direction of Chris Roberts and Co. I'm not sure whether it was a particularly wise decision but I rarely regret such actions. I could afford it and I wouldn't have taken such actions if they would have proved detrimental to me. As I've said before, I'm more disappointed than regretful.

As to the state of the Community and whether any of the members would stick around. Well, I'm still here! Nowhere near as active as I was but still here. :D :angel:

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:34 am
fyi they're still collecting millions a year. To this day is still dreaming up "cool new ideas" to lure in new sales. This is deception. Rarely if ever do these get called out as bull because they've sucked out all the air from objective discussion and have the entire community trained to shout down skeptical viewpoints.
You can't prove it's a deception unless there are actual records of Mr. Roberts and his merry band of wasteful morons getting together and deciding to make selling virtual spaceships and empty promisses the core of their business model. If there are no internal documents nor testimonies that prove beyond any shade of doubt that it was a scam from the start, or became a scam at some point during the development, then they would always come on top because 'we understood that some practices might not have been to the liking of some people, but we did it to continue the development of the game'. And they surely as Hell have enough code, graphical and sound assets to prove it.

Now, they all probably understand that their PR is outright predatory, and it becomes morally questionable since game is not explicitly for adults, and teenagers can easily get excited and go to such lengths as stealing money to pay for a virtual spaceship, but in most cases it's willing, consenting adults spending their money while they could have not. You cant't shift the responsibility from the person who makes the final decision - i.e. the guy with the credit card code - to the company that dangles the carrot (the gingerbread, if you are Russian...why would anyone want to jump for a carrot??? Gingerbread, on the other hand...yes please!).

If you really want to deal with predatory PR, you should probably start with the Coca-Cola company and all the tobacco companies, they bloody deserved that.

Otherwise, this moral outrage is just biased and, quite honestly, rather silly.
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:34 am
At least Josh acknowledged risks, challenges, setbacks, mistakes, and had the foresight not to keep taking money. Chris Roberts lies all the time, has not once apologized, and leads what many believe is a concerted effort to mislead.
not to keep taking money
taking
He didn't start taking money. He did a Kickstarter - i.e. took money just once, and there was no further funding of any kind apart from his own financial reserves (which he promptly burned through) after that.

Josh can be held to the highest standard of honesty and humility here. He always communicated with us as with a collection of individuals (when he was communicating, granted :) ), and was always coming from his personal perspective. CIG, from the very beginning, operated as a mostly-faceless corporate entity, and we were an equally faceless target audience.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:35 am
I was more devastated by the demise of Limit Theory and the end of the Freelancer replacement dream than what has happened to the Star Citizen project. It doesn't take a genius to realize how much this hurt/hurts Josh on a personal level. :(
I'm very worried about him too, yes. I can see some sign of it having changed him just in the sparse interaction we've had since then. I think it's still tearing him up.
Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:35 am
As to the state of the Community and whether any of the members would stick around. Well, I'm still here! Nowhere near as active as I was but still here. :D :angel:
And I'm very very happy about that. :D I can understand you being less active though, especially with the state of things. There's not really much place to be active here other than REKT or IRC.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I invested in SC back in 2013, 2 years after I retired from Civil Service. I'm now 70 and have given over $1700 to the development. Ive decided that is enough. I expected to be playing the "complete" SQ42 game by 2016 or at the latest 2017. NOW, I'm wondering if I will ever get to play before I'm pushing up daisys. Sure, they release a patch every 3 months, but these patches are miniscule changes. We need to see milestones of additional content, and not just in ships. I'm a bit disallusioned by the sloooow pace SC is moving. It seems they can't focus on those major steps, but instead keep polishing what is already in game. I feel they should work on getting major gameplay improvements finished and leave the polishing for later.
Chris Roberts if you aren't an outright scammer you are one of the worlds worst micromanagers. Give up and hire someone who is slightly less incompetent than yourself to take charge.

If you think the people working with you enjoy doing so, God you are lost.

Ultimately though, the idea is not to have any fixed server boundaries. Instead a server will manage the game for a cluster of players. As the cluster spreads out, the area the server manages will grow, and as the players in a cluster bunch up, the area managed by the server shrinks. When clusters of players belonging to different servers overlap, the servers will decide whether to transition players between them, or even to break out a new cluster of players and spin up another server to handle it. In this version of server meshing, servers will only be assigned to locations where there are players, greatly reducing the number of servers we would otherwise need, and allowing the game to scale to higher player counts much more cheaply.
Clive Johnson is either complicit in lying to backers or too stupid to realize how much of the koolaid he's had. Its getting really sad how these pack of plagiarizing posers have been able to take advantage of "gamers" so easily. It's all marketing lies wake up it's been almost 7 years; they can't do a tenth of the stuff they dream up. L I A R S

Yes I have many hobbies.
General Rebuttals
  • Why are you even commenting if you hate the game so much? What kind of sad person just goes around tearing things down?
  • Oh look, another Derek Smart alt trying to spread lies and mis-information about Star Citizen because he's jealous.
  • Known troll/goon. Downvote and move on.
  • How many AAA games have YOU released?
  • You are entitled to NOTHING.
  • Even if the game never comes out, I’m proud to be a part of it, at least Chris is trying.
You're not actually trying to defend CIG practices are you? You'd have an easier time defending EA at this point.

I agree with Corn.

Respectfully -- It makes this place no good to reiterate on the state of SC like that.
Besides, SC would not be canned tomorrow even if all together we decide to not support it.

Perhaps it is more constructive if we discuss about how things should have been handled by CIG in order for SC to become feature-complete and reach a release date. They could have expanded the game from there, post-release, as many devs do nowaday. Instead they chose differently :-/

SC was always doomed to fail since Robbers is attached but I imagine it would be a lot farther along if someone convinced chris to go with graphics that are stylized as opposed to MUH FIDELITY.

You can have simulationist gameplay without rendering every hair on your spaceman, Chris.

scratches head
I just don't get what the point of the ranting is. I think mostly we're all disillusioned, or disinterested, so all we get out of it is "oh great here comes another 2% content post from Results."
If you're trying to train your rhetoric—not to tell you your trade, but it needs training—you'd be better off in a locale which provides a better means by which to measure your skill.

could be that we are just the only ones who havent yet emphatically shown him the door.
ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:13 am
SC was always doomed to fail since Robbers is attached but I imagine it would be a lot farther along if someone convinced chris to go with graphics that are stylized as opposed to MUH FIDELITY.

You can have simulationist gameplay without rendering every hair on your spaceman, Chris.
what now? is it all a scam or just misguided?
can you hold an opinion for a whole sentence?

Online Now